Butter in your coffee?

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    From what I heard, the whole butter-in-coffee thing comes from

Comes from what?!? The suspense is killing me!

The idea actually came from the Yak butter tea Evengi posted about. I haven't tried butter in my coffee but I have done the coconut oil, I like it.
    The bulletproof coffee (grassfed butter and coconut oil) is a primal thing. Paleo doesn't include dairy, although some people use clarified butter, which separates the dairy from the fat and use the fat only. Just depends on how strict paleo they are.

Well, yak butter tea is extremely good at delivering needed calories in the Himalayas during winter. We drank a lot of it (still dislike the musky taste) and lost weight simply because we were walking 7-12 hrs a day through ice and rubble. But it is more like a soup than actual tea. I imagine that coffee with the equivalent amount of butter would be quite thick.

Here is what yak butter tea looked like:

yak_butter_tea.jpg

Ew. I try to be openminded but I don't thing I could try that.
    Yeah, I don't think it's supposed to be the same but from what I understood the guy got the idea after experiencing the same thing.
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    I suppose in theory it's no worse than the non-dairy creamers that have palm oil or the "non fat" half and half that's full of corn syrup solids, but it still beats me why anyone would WANT butter in their coffee?

(And there's nothing wrong with butter. It's far better for you than margerine).
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Blend in vitamix:
    2 cups coffee
    2 T kerrygold butter
    20ish grams MCT oil...(yes, I know, oil should be measured in volume...but it's already on the scale, so...yeah.)

Okay, *now* back to read through this thread to see how horribly off the rails it inevitably went.

ETA: Interesting how almost everyone who thought it was gross hadn't actually tried it before. I guess in their defense, I thought the same thing...before I tried it...and loved it. I stopped drinking it daily when we got a keurig (and I stopped grinding my own beans). How that is connected to no longer blending my coffee? I have no idea.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Omg...who does this ?? And why ?? I have a toddler who is thin ...and I hate her pediatrician tells me to add BUTTER to everything !! To me that's not a healthy alternative to eating well !

Nothing wrong with butter , its natural . Id be worried about processed margarines .

Butter in coffee must be disgusting
    Sorry to burst your bubble but butter is processed as well. I'm afraid it doesn't come out of a cow as a block and wrapped in packaging
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    I've seen posts on MFP about doing it, mostly from those that follow the Paleo Diet, which is high fat. I guess it's just a way to get more fat in the diet. Sounds disgusting to me.

Butter in the Paleo diet?? That doesn't sound right. Cavemen didn't have butter. :huh:

They use clarified butter. Or coconut oil. Apparently cavemen had both of those things. And coffee. Hard to get your a** of the cave without a stiff cup of joe. :wink:

The archeological record supports this:

Mugs_Flintstones_Yabba-Dabba-Doo_Coffee_Mug.jpg
    QFT.
    Sorry to burst your bubble but butter is processed as well.
    At least you can make butter without a lab!
  • just_fur_luck
    just_fur_luck Posts: 141 Member

il_570xN.393985662_p4os.jpg
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member

il_570xN.393985662_p4os.jpg

I was going to say

LabPoster.jpg

but yours is better!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Omg...who does this ?? And why ?? I have a toddler who is thin ...and I hate her pediatrician tells me to add BUTTER to everything !! To me that's not a healthy alternative to eating well !

tumblr_m5t1fnfvCh1r05fx0o1_400.gif
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    I add butter to everything...
  • Tubbytucka
    Tubbytucka Posts: 83 Member
    I do it most mornings - it's not as gross as you might think. That, and a creamy, 2-egg omelette for breakfast about 8am keeps me feeling full until early afternoon.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Well, I just tried it. I didn't taste any difference from my usual cream. I think I'll make it a regular thing.
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    I love it, I have 2 tsp of butter and 2 tsp of coconut oil in my morning coffee, blended up it's lovely and creamy. Keeps me full from 8am-2pm on 161 calories with no insulin spike.

Yeah....no. You should be eating the majority of your daily calories by 2pm...not 161. :huh:
  • youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member

Nothing wrong with butter , its natural . Id be worried about processed margarines .

I agree that butter is better than processed margarine, but just because it is "natural" doesn't mean that it is healthy. Remember that butter is 100% fat, and just one serving (one tablespoon) has one-third of your RDA for saturated fats, and it should not be added freely to everything just to increase one's fat intake.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member

I agree that butter is better than processed margarine, but just because it is "natural" doesn't mean that it is healthy. Remember that butter is 100% fat, and just one serving (one tablespoon) has one-third of your RDA for saturated fats, and it should not be added freely to everything just to increase one's fat intake.

And what is wrong with high fat consumption (including saturated fats)?
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member

Why not? If you're on a HFLC diet, then it's perfectly legit. I'm using it as a way to increase my fat consumption on purpose.

Obviously, if you're watching your fat intake, then this wouldn't be a good idea. But not all of us do limit fat intake.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Kids need fat (actually we all do but kids need it especially). That is what your doctor is telling you. Buy some grass fed butter and give it to the kid. Sheesh.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member

And what is wrong with high fat consumption (including saturated fats)?

Calories, for one. When you are watching them high fat can be a problem. I like fat on everything so I really have to keep an eye on it to stay in goal.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    How do you even spread it???

Ha!!!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Has anybody seen this thing about adding butter and oil to your coffee? Sounds like a recipe for intestinal distress and a spare tire around your middle. http://www.bulletproofexec.com/category/coffee-2/

I thought I was reading this thread wrong when I first read the title LOL.

Butter in my coffee? The thought of it makes me actually feel very nauseous, so I will be giving that one a miss I think :laugh:
  • a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    I think I might actually try it. Maybe a sweet cream or a honey butter. It doesn't that seem that different from adding cream or half and half. Same thing, just a different presentation.

I wouldn't do the oil, though, it's a texture thing for me.

I'd rather have that than that weird oily film leaving non dairy creamer that coffee mate tries to pull off.