How to maintain without gaining

2»

Replies

• jen73fit4life
    jen73fit4life Posts: 24 Member
    You will also need to experiment a bit with what your maintenance calories are. Mine are only 200 calories more than my losing weight calories. I'm small and older; as unfair as that seems, that's just the way it is.
    I'm small and 41. My BMR is 1215.

• jen73fit4life
    Thank you everyone! If you could add me as a friend here that would be amazing. I didn't even eat my new calorie range which was 1670. I was eating 1100 a day or so. I guess I'm worried I was eating 1000-1050 that maybe I went into starvation mode? I hear all these stories about it. The two days where the weight gain happened-- I upped my calories by about 100-150 those two days. I'm too scared to all of a sudden eat 1670! Yikes!
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    jenpretlow wrote: »
    Thank you everyone! If you could add me as a friend here that would be amazing. I didn't even eat my new calorie range which was 1670. I was eating 1100 a day or so. I guess I'm worried I was eating 1000-1050 that maybe I went into starvation mode? I hear all these stories about it. The two days where the weight gain happened-- I upped my calories by about 100-150 those two days. I'm too scared to all of a sudden eat 1670! Yikes!

It can be scary to up your calories in maintenance and then suddenly see an increase on the scale. Don't panic as that happens to everyone at some point. Just stick with it for a while and I think you'll find that in a few days your weight will be back down again. If the fluctuations from everyday weighing start making you anxious, try weighing less. Perhaps every other day or twice a week instead.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    And definitely give yourself a range of weights or you'll go mad.
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    Do you exercise?
    I ask because that makes a difference as well in holding on to water weight.
    Yesterday I ate at deficit but went to the gym and did some cardio and strength training.
    Despite my deficit, I woke up 1 pound heavier.
    Since I ate a deficit there is no way in h*ll I ate an additional 3500cals (3500cals = 1 pound), so I know it's from the workout...
    It will disappear in a couple of days (max).
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    edited August 2015
    And definitely give yourself a range of weights or you'll go mad.

THIS^^^ I have a 4 pound range that way if my weight goes up, it is still w/in my goal weight range and I don't freak out until it's over that amount.
    So far, since I decided on the range goal, I have not been over my original goal weight, despite scale fluctuations, so it's a lot less depressing/scary to see the scale move up a bit!
  • jen73fit4life
    Do you exercise?
    Yesterday I ate at deficit but went to the gym and did some cardio and strength training.
    Since I ate a deficit there is no way in h*ll I ate an additional 3500cals (3500cals = 1 pound), so I know it's from the workout...

Yes I do! I usually alternate between P90X and running although P90X is newer to my routine.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    jenpretlow wrote: »
    Do you exercise?

Yes I do! I usually alternate between P90X and running although P90X is newer to my routine.

Those are great workouts and will definitely give you some extra calories for the day. :)
  • hstylesishot
    hstylesishot Posts: 19 Member
    ok that's water weight..
    don't worry. Just listen to your body's hunger and fullness cues. REALLY focus on them and you will not overreat. Monitor your weight daily, but try not to confuse actual permanent weight gain with water weight gain. Weight is affected by SOOO many different factors and is constantly fluctuating.