Alright people who supposedly get full on 1200, how do you do it?

Replies

• LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Pawsforme wrote: »
    I am always surprised on these threads at the number of people who believe that if you are female, petite (5'2 and under), have a desk job, and maybe over a certain age you are destined to have to eat 1200 cals in order to lose weight.

I am 5'2, have a desk job, am over 40 and lose weight anywhere under 1700 cals net. My TDEE is ~2100 and it's not like I'm a marathon runner.

I started at 1200 too, was always over, but kept losing. I raised my goal first to 1400, then 1500, still losing. After I had less than 15 lbs to lose I raised it to 1650 and was losing about 0.5/week. I always eat back my exercise cals. Every last one of them too.

I would advise if you are having trouble meeting your calorie goals you should:
    1. Reevaluate to make sure that's the right number for you. Maybe try a higher number for a few weeks and see what happens. You might be surprised.
    2. Exercise and eat back at least a portion of your calories
    3. Eat more nutrient dense, satiating foods.

ETA I think many people could benefit from steps 1-3 above, not just if you are struggling to stay within goal...

Rather than criticizing others or assuming they're doing something wrong, perhaps you should be very thankful.

I'm 4'10" (on a good day, and with a bit of fudging ;)) so . . . really short. I'm also 52 and hypothyroid.

Per the Scooby site my BMR is 1260. My sedentary TDEE is 1512 and lightly active TDEE is 1733. And keep in mind those numbers aren't taking hypothyroidism into consideration. Thankfully, according to my Fitbit I've yet to have a truly sedentary day. But my highest TDEE day has been 2043, and that involved walking a little over five miles, over ten flights of stairs, plus spending four hours on hands and knees giving my (large) kitchen floor a very thorough scrubbing.

You might also keep in mind that as you age your estimated TDEE will likely decline, too. There's quite a difference in "over 40" and "over 50." And I'm sure it's not going to get any better. ;)

I'm sorry can you please point out where I was criticizing others or assuming they are doing something wrong, or sounded like I'm ungrateful?

I was simply pointing out that assuming that you HAVE to eat 1200 cals or less because of your height, age, and activity level is not always the case.

I'm no special snowflake, I'm saying there are probably more people who could be eating more and still losing, than everyone thinks. And as someone else pointed out up thread, why wouldn't you want to try that, to see if it works for you?

As you said, there's a difference between over 50 and over 40, but at 4'10 there's also a four inch difference in height as well. I certainly understand that someone who is 5'6 is going to have a different maintenance level than me. But there have been several 5'1 and 5'2 people in this thread alone saying they HAVE to do 1200 because of their stats.
    I'm just providing my experience, which did include a brief stint at 1200 as well.

Edited because it's Friday.

Fair enough to point out that each person needs to identify what works for him or herself--I agree completely. However, I think your initial comment came across a little judgy, which might be what @pawsforme was responding to.

I am at least one of the folks who said that at 5'2" and with a desk job 1200 is my weight loss sweet spot and for me this is true. I've been doing it a long time also and have played with different calorie allotments and I could probably lose a bit with calories anywhere under 1400 but my maintenance range (when really sedentary, which happens during high stress/high work volume periods of time) is between 1500-1600. I will absolutely not lose weight eating that much and I have gained weight at 1700 calories. For what it's worth, I'm still in my 30's, too.

So, the core of what you said is true, each person needs to find their own path, but that doesn't mean that those of us who say that 1200 is our path are wrong. :wink:

And that is not at all what I was trying to say or imply. I think in general people try to make weight loss more complicated than it needs to be. They think they have to go extremely low with their calories, or cut out entire food groups, in order to be successful. There are threads after threads of people that are just starting out that either set too aggressive of a goal for themselves, because they want to lose weight quickly, or they make really drastic changes in diet because they read somewhere that in order to lose weight you have to "eat clean" or "cut carbs" or "do a sugar detox".

I am not saying this to sound like I am bragging. I think weight loss is challenging, for sure, but it doesn't have to be as miserable as some people make it out to be. It wasn't easy for me to lose 30 lbs and now maintain it, but it really wasn't that complicated either. It's really about eating less, moving more, and finding a balance. If your balance is between 1200-1400, and that works for you, and you're happy with it, then so be it. I agree everyone has to figure out what works best for them but what I'm trying to highlight is that being a petite female with a desk job is not a life sentence to eating under 1500 cals.

Maybe I need more smiley faces. I hear that's a good way to make your words sound more positive. :):);)

I do find smiley faces help! :wink: I think we're both in agreement, too. Happy Friday! :smile:
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member

But as I stated earlier in this thread, I started out eating 1200 to lose weight, got down to a point where 1600ish was my TDEE. I got a whole lot more active, and now I eat 1500-1600 and drop 1.5 - 1.8 pounds a week, which is faster than I was losing on 1200.

People can likely eat more if they are willing to move more or lose weight more slowly.

I agree with this. As I became more active, I did the same thing. Then I had an injury and I found it very difficult to eat at 1200 on a daily basis. As I continue to recover and gradually become more active again, it is great to be able to eat more. I also adjusted my goals to lose more slowly. I felt I could slow down because my pre-diabetes was under control. I still have days when I eat 1200, but it feels great to have the pressure off and be able to eat 200 or so more and still lose.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    2Poufs wrote: »
    BWBTrish wrote: »
    and for the detox aspect..there is no detox or resetting your body. Really people stay on top here
    its about a 1200 diet

Respectfully, I beg to differ. A hard reset can help get some people get back on track after an indulgence. I'm not a fan of calling it a "detox," as that's nowhere near the proper term. That's why I refer to it as a "reset." It's a mechanism to get back on track. Is it the only one? No, but it is a useful tool.

I don't know exactly what you do or mean by reset but fasting/severe calorie restriction reduces insulin levels and many people (including myself) experience a reduced appetite after a short fast. I'm not sure why this is controversial (I believe the effect is well documented). There may be a psychological component to it as you've mentioned but there's a physiological response as well.

Either or, as long as you don't have an eating disorder and generally have healthy eating habits I don't see any harm.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,023 Member
    pondee629 wrote: »
    (snipped)
    Although you don't feel full/bloated,( you feel that you COULD eat,) you do not feel hungry that you HAVE to eat. That's been the change for me, not feeling hungry but not being over stuffed. . . . .

For me, too, this is important - part of what I'm working hard to sort out. I got fat because of a dysfunctional relationship with food - not (in my case) an ED in the clinical sense, but just sub-optimal living. I need to sort this out: What does hungry feel like? What does satiated feel like? What does full feel like? When & how do these happen?

So, back to OP's question: When I eat 1200, I don't usually feel *full* (full is starting to feel less happy anyway). If I get the details right (macros that work for me, fiber, water, etc.), I spend most of the time feeling satiated: I don't HAVE to eat more to feel good, I'm not famished. When I start to feel hungry, I do a "need water?" check (usually just drink some). If that leaves me still feeling hungry, it's time for a meal or snack. Then it's time to wait 20 minutes or so to see if that was satiating. Usually works.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    arditarose wrote: »
    yogacat13 wrote: »
    Fruit and veg, really. I'm only 5'1'', which is why I keep to 1200-1300. Also, I can only sustain it really if I have one maintenance level day per week. I could raise the calorie level every day, but having that one day when I can have a meal out and a glass of wine with my husband is better for me.

I'm trying the same now. Doing a couple 1300 calorie days so I can be a normal person on the weekend.

I've been full enough this week on 1300. Admittedly, I chew a bit of gum, drink black coffee, and eat a stupid amount of veggies and protein-which makes my fat intake drop a bit low. Have to find a good way to fix that up. 50 grams of avocado per day isn't doing it.

Have you thought of biting the bullet and trying to find some cardio you like to give you more calories? I know you hate it, but it could help in your case.

Yeah, I've been trying to get some in actually. Went to a spin class this week. Baby steps. I know it will be helpful.
  • Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    I'm 5'1" with hypothyroidism too. It's not an excuse. Properly medicated and treated, it's a non-issue, frankly. If it's causing problems, you're not being properly treated for it. I'll be 53 in one week. The numbers don't need to take your hypothyroidism into consideration once you're medicated properly. You'll be just like everyone else in that case.

I agree with you that hypothyroidism shouldn't be an issue when it's properly medicated. But I'm recently diagnosed and so my doc and I are still working on getting me to that point. So for me right now it IS an issue.

every time I hear someone boast of their magnificent doctor medicating their thyroid issues so marvelously, I have to restrain the urge to ask , who they are, what the doctor's number is and if they take insurance. Because from experience there are WAY more craptastic doctors not even attempting to actually properly treat thyroid patients than there are good ones.

* hashimoto's patient with grave's antibodies too.* doctors aren't sure what to do with my labs
  • c_leeee
    c_leeee Posts: 144 Member
    I eat a crap ton of vegetables for my snacks throughout the day. I also really don't eat a breakfast. I drink coffee all morning with very little creamer and no sugar. Between meals and snacks I drink water.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    I've actually come out of reading this thread with things I'll be trying. Not quite 1200, but there are days when I look back at my calorie count and it's like whoa! And there wasn't even anything special to eat/enjoy. I'd love to be able to manage hunger and satiety and only splurge when I truly want to
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited August 2015
    I'm 5'1" with hypothyroidism too. It's not an excuse. Properly medicated and treated, it's a non-issue, frankly. If it's causing problems, you're not being properly treated for it. I'll be 53 in one week. The numbers don't need to take your hypothyroidism into consideration once you're medicated properly. You'll be just like everyone else in that case.

I agree with you that hypothyroidism shouldn't be an issue when it's properly medicated. But I'm recently diagnosed and so my doc and I are still working on getting me to that point. So for me right now it IS an issue.

every time I hear someone boast of their magnificent doctor medicating their thyroid issues so marvelously, I have to restrain the urge to ask , who they are, what the doctor's number is and if they take insurance. Because from experience there are WAY more craptastic doctors not even attempting to actually properly treat thyroid patients than there are good ones.

* hashimoto's patient with grave's antibodies too.* doctors aren't sure what to do with my labs

Boasting?

Hardly. I wish you would stop projecting your awful experience all over the boards whenever thyroid issues come up.

Patients need to be proactive in their own medical care, granted, but resenting other people for having access to good medical care is beyond the pale.

You did what I've done. I've been my own advocate in insisting that my symptoms get treated. I'm not boasting. I'm a patient who got results from being proactive.

BTW? Having antibodies doesn't mean jack until the disease becomes active. I carry Crohn's anti-bodies. I don't have Crohn's disease.

Your doctors should be monitoring your full thyroid panel, that's all. Educate yourself on thyroid function, that's all. As long as your thyroid is functioning, it doesn't matter what antibodies you have. It's the effect they are having that matters.

When patients with both active Graves and Hashi's hit critical mass, the best method of treatment is gland removal and thyroid hormone replacement. You're obviously not at that point yet.

• Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    edited August 2015

Boasting?

Hardly. I wish you would stop projecting your awful experience all over the boards whenever thyroid issues come up.

Patients need to be proactive in their own medical care, granted, but resenting other people for having access to good medical care is beyond the pale.

You did what I've done. I've been my own advocate in insisting that my symptoms get treated. I'm not boasting. I'm a patient who got results from being proactive.

BTW? Having antibodies doesn't mean jack until the disease becomes active. I carry Crohn's anti-bodies. I don't have Crohn's disease.

Your doctors should be monitoring your full thyroid panel, that's all. Educate yourself on thyroid function, that's all. As long as your thyroid is functioning, it doesn't matter what antibodies you have. It's the effect they are having that matters.

When patients with both active Graves and Hashi's hit critical mass, the best method of treatment is gland removal and thyroid hormone replacement. You're obviously not at that point yet.

I could post my entire medical record and you'd still disagree with me, it's pointless. just suffice it to say I live in my body and not everyone has a great experience with finding a doctor or receiving treatment.

So who is your doctor? I'm willing to empty my 401K to travel to find this holy grail of doctors that may decide to do something. I could use a vacation.

My experience is not so out of the ordinary. If you read some of the patient forums from healthboards and Yahoo patient groups on thyroid they are way more folks with substandard care than there are ones with good care.

Just a sampling of patients that are still sick. There are thousands of more threads on the ill treatment they are getting.

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/530445-anyone-have-nausea-hypothyroidism.html
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    edited August 2015

Yep. I've been with my doctor for about ten years and for the most part I've liked him and had confidence in him. But he's losing me on thyroid treatment. First I got a lecture on weight gain with insinuations that I must be too stupid to know what constitutes a healthy diet or in denial about what I was eating. That despite ten years of a steady, relatively healthy weight. Only after the lecture did he bother to look at my blood work. No apology or sign of contrition. He hasn't bothered to test me for Hashi's. And I have a family history of other auto immune illnesses, so that seems rather important to me. He's bringing me in for regular blood work but hasn't asked how I'm feeling. And he hasn't even entered the hypothyroidism diagnosis in my medical record. It's becoming obvious to me that he has some type of inherent bias about treating hypothyroidism. We're sorting out some liver issues and I'm staying with him for that. Once that's figured out I will very likely be finding a new doctor.

• PeachyCarol

Boasting?

I could post my entire medical record and you'd still disagree with me, it's pointless. just suffice it to say I live in my body and not everyone has a great experience with finding a doctor or receiving treatment.

So who is your doctor? I'm willing to empty my 401K to travel to find this holy grail of doctors that may decide to do something. I could use a vacation.

My experience is not so out of the ordinary. If you read some of the patient forums from healthboards and Yahoo patient groups on thyroid they are way more folks with substandard care than there are ones with good care.

Just a sampling of patients that are still sick. There are thousands of more threads on the ill treatment they are getting.

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/530445-anyone-have-nausea-hypothyroidism.html

Is this some reason to resent me, though? And accuse me of boasting?

The fact is that you're bitter about your condition.

You have NO clue about my overall medical history and the decades I went untreated for other problems I have because of bad doctors. I could fill a book.

I'll not fill the boards with resentment against other people for having had better care or stop providing hope to others that good doctors are out there if you keep looking... because I'm not bitter. Life goes on.

Stop feeling sorry for yourself and get on with your life. A bum thyroid is not the end of the world.

What do you need done? What are your symptoms? You can go on and on and on and on about having the antibodies and a nodule all day, but they mean nothing. It's how they impact your health that matters when it comes to treatment.

• PeachyCarol

Yep. I've been with my doctor for about ten years and for the most part I've liked him and had confidence in him. But he's losing me on thyroid treatment. First I got a lecture on weight gain with insinuations that I must be too stupid to know what constitutes a healthy diet or in denial about what I was eating. That despite ten years of a steady, relatively healthy weight. Only after the lecture did he bother to look at my blood work. No apology or sign of contrition. He hasn't bothered to test me for Hashi's. And I have a family history of other auto immune illnesses, so that seems rather important to me. He's bringing me in for regular blood work but hasn't asked how I'm feeling. And he hasn't even entered the hypothyroidism diagnosis in my medical record. It's becoming obvious to me that he has some type of inherent bias about treating hypothyroidism. We're sorting out some liver issues and I'm staying with him for that. Once that's figured out I will very likely be finding a new doctor.

Why not ask for a referral to an endocrinologist if you're so concerned?

How much weight have you put on? Thyroid problems will only make you gain so much due to decreased metabolism, and honestly, if you're testing at the margins of the ranges, your metabolism isn't that slowed down. You need to be eating too much and moving less. After ten years, aging will do that to you.

I'm sorry to be hard-nosed about this, but I've been through the excuses myself with my thyroid when it tanked out on me and stopped responding to medication. It took nine months to get it back under control. During that time, I put on 35 pounds. During that time, I blamed my thyroid. My doctor kept telling me it wouldn't be responsible for that much weight gain.

She was right.

In retrospect? I was going through a stressful period in my life and I was eating and eating and eating. I was depressed, I was fatigued, and I was sitting around all day.

• LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Please ladies, this is a good thread that I am about to contribute to, you are going to get it shut down.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Different people have different problems. I don't pretend that everyone else is just like me. If I gave the impression - at any time - that I was suggesting that everyone would be as lucky as I've been or that I'm bragging that I found a good doctor, I apologize. It was never my intent.

If your doctor sucks, get thee to a new one posthaste. A doctor who doesn't send a person with a thyroid issue to an endo is a bad doctor. That's a big tipoff right there. Good primaries know enough to know their limitations and will want you in the hands of a specialist.

I know what it's like to suffer through dealing with a bad...or lazy, which is really the same thing...doctor and am never trying to belittle anyone in that position.
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    I will be 60 in a couple of months, am 5'6.5, currently 186 pounds. I started at 230, started MFP at 209, have lost 44 pounds total, 23 since joining MFP, and I have logged consistently for 121 days. I stopped measuring my food a couple of months ago thanks to all the good advice on this forum, and weigh almost everything except the foods I previously weighed often enough to know that they are either exactly the same as the package says or only off by a gram or two. I count every single thing I eat or drink, including Altoids and Tums. I omit nothing. If it says "one tablespoon" or "one serving" on my menu, those items are actually weighed - I just used items in the database that aren't broken down into ounces or grams.

I input 2 pounds weight loss a week into MFP, but after you hit "Update," the screen which says "Your Suggested Fitness and Nutrition Goals" lists my "Projected Weight Loss" at 1.2 pounds a week. You should all check that to see what yours says.

I almost never hit 1200, and rarely go over 1100. I have discussed this with my doctor, and at my age and weight he has no problem with me eating below 1200. I NEVER go under 1000. I am almost always somewhere near 1050.

A 23-pound weight loss in 120 days (I haven't weighed myself today) works out to 5.75 pounds a month, so I am losing about at the rate MFP suggests, and at what is considered a healthy rate. I have sporadically added in some exercise in the last month and a half, and have started walking in the mornings for about 30 minutes. I started eating back half of my exercise calories, but feel like that may be slowing my weight loss, so have decided to stop adding back for a while to see what happens.

I am never starving. I am rarely hungry. If I am hungry, it is just before meal time, when I should be hungry. I would say, as many others above have said, that I am sated. I am not full, as in uncomfortably full, I am just no longer hungry. As far as I know, this should be my goal. Because I am sated, my food cravings are not nearly as strong. I still get cravings for lots of things, but I am determined to lose this weight, and, for me personally, it is just not worth it to eat ice cream or candy and blow my progress. I still have ice cream, or a beer, but I never have it if I haven't planned for it. I also have pizza, a donut once a week or so, and I go out for dinner, so I don't really feel deprived. I am a person who actually likes eating the same things pretty much every day, so my diet isn't exactly varied, but it has become as important to me now to meet my macros as it is to lose weight, so I am including things I wasn't eating before, like avocados, so that I am eating as healthy as possible with such limited caloric intake. I have severe IBS and I can't eat any leafy greens (except creamed spinach seems OK) or cruciferous vegetables, or most vegetables actually, so I can't fill up on them, yet I feel completely satisfied.

Here is an example of a usual day's menu:
    dqcu3jdcakpv.jpg

Here's one of my sandwiches (on sourdough):
    oht4r5oy1xxr.jpg

This has become a way of life for me, and I really don't feel deprived. I have to plan my menu carefully, and it leaves little room for error, but if I go over, I go over and don't freak out, I just get right back to it.

So there you have it - that's how I do it. :smile:
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    edited August 2015
    Why not ask for a referral to an endocrinologist if you're so concerned?

How much weight have you put on? Thyroid problems will only make you gain so much due to decreased metabolism, and honestly, if you're testing at the margins of the ranges, your metabolism isn't that slowed down. You need to be eating too much and moving less. After ten years, aging will do that to you.

I'm sorry to be hard-nosed about this, but I've been through the excuses myself with my thyroid when it tanked out on me and stopped responding to medication. It took nine months to get it back under control. During that time, I put on 35 pounds. During that time, I blamed my thyroid. My doctor kept telling me it wouldn't be responsible for that much weight gain.

She was right.

In retrospect? I was going through a stressful period in my life and I was eating and eating and eating. I was depressed, I was fatigued, and I was sitting around all day.

I have not yet asked for a referral to an endocrinologist because (as I clearly explained in my previous post) I'm also having some liver issues. I know I could certainly go to two doctors at once, but right now that wouldn't be very convenient. I should know within a couple of weeks whether my liver issues have cleared up or not, and at that point I will make the decision on whether or not to pursue finding another doctor.

As far as weight gain -- no, I didn't gain much at all. Less than 10 pounds. But as I'm very short that's far from an insignificant amount. IIRC the word my lovely doctor used to describe that gain for me was "massive."

I am much more than at the "margins" of the ranges.

It's obvious from your post that most of your weight issue probably was due to the amount you were eating, and to not exercising. Your experience is not universally shared by ALL who have thyroid issues. Some of us really did gain despite eating reasonable portions of healthy food and and exercising. Just as an FYI -- I'm not a newbie at the weight loss game. Over 25 years ago I successfully lost 64 pounds and kept it off pretty much until my thyroid went wonky. I very much do know what I'm talking about.

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member

This is very exciting! Were some PM's at least sent with doctors names?? :bigsmile:
  • emmagrace0818
    emmagrace0818 Posts: 211 Member
    Lots of water and protein! It is obtainable!
  • MrsCaitlinBeltran
    MrsCaitlinBeltran Posts: 241 Member
    Feel free to look at my diary! It's more than enough food for me :)