Alright people who supposedly get full on 1200, how do you do it?

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited August 2015
    Pawsforme wrote: »
    I'm 5'1" with hypothyroidism too. It's not an excuse. Properly medicated and treated, it's a non-issue, frankly. If it's causing problems, you're not being properly treated for it. I'll be 53 in one week. The numbers don't need to take your hypothyroidism into consideration once you're medicated properly. You'll be just like everyone else in that case.

I agree with you that hypothyroidism shouldn't be an issue when it's properly medicated. But I'm recently diagnosed and so my doc and I are still working on getting me to that point. So for me right now it IS an issue.

every time I hear someone boast of their magnificent doctor medicating their thyroid issues so marvelously, I have to restrain the urge to ask , who they are, what the doctor's number is and if they take insurance. Because from experience there are WAY more craptastic doctors not even attempting to actually properly treat thyroid patients than there are good ones.

* hashimoto's patient with grave's antibodies too.* doctors aren't sure what to do with my labs

I admit I am shocked. Where do you live? Don't you have access to an endocrinologist? I am in Europe, Hashimoto's sounds pretty trivial to treat. Perhaps it has to do with medical procedures where you are? Where I live it would be for example unthinkable (and impossible) for a physician to attempt treating a thyroid issue or prescribing meds for this, you are sent directly to the endocrinologist from the start. I was diagnosed 22 years ago, and suffer from a few other hormonal disorders too. I have been medicated with few adjustments since, never really had any complaints, whenever something felt off it was addressed within a few weeks. By different drs, most in public hospitals, where in general you do nto get that amazing personalised care here. I have heard similar stories from every other patient I have ever met, of things going pretty much smoothly, and it is a pretty common illness, so I know several people suffering from Hashimoto's or Graves.
  • vikkisunshine
    vikkisunshine Posts: 2 Member
    I definitely wouldn't say I feel 'full' on 1200 calories a day, but it's doable. I try to drink lots and especially think drinking sparkling water helps a bit with ththe fullness feeling. Other than that, just spreading out what you eat also helps, so when you feel peckish eat an apple or a few almonds. Do think carefully about what your choices are though, because some foods definitely aren't filling and then are just wasted calories. Sometimes I eat two bananas in a day just because i find them reasonably filling and it's easy to have one with me in my bag most of the time.
  • francescataylor94
    francescataylor94 Posts: 9 Member
    Drink a lot of water to :) helps me .. I eat loads of veg as I am vegetarian and I've not had any problems being hungry
  • earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    edited August 2015
    I'm maintaining now but I went a whole year on 1200. Fiber, water, and protein keep you full for longer. Sugar, starch, and fat don't keep you full as long. nutritiondata.self.com has "fullness ratings" for all their foods. Also the volumetrics diet can tell you about this way of eating.

Fat doesn't keep you full but it gives things a good mouthfeel, which can trick people into thinking it's satiating. My diet isn't particularly high-protein either; I mostly eat high-fiber items. Half my diet when I was eating 1200 was fruits and vegetables, mostly raw, not including juice, jam, and potatoes.

I wasn't hungry but I wasn't really full either. Though there were some days where I was looking for things to eat at 10pm to make it to 1200.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Why not ask for a referral to an endocrinologist if you're so concerned?

How much weight have you put on? Thyroid problems will only make you gain so much due to decreased metabolism, and honestly, if you're testing at the margins of the ranges, your metabolism isn't that slowed down. You need to be eating too much and moving less. After ten years, aging will do that to you.

I'm sorry to be hard-nosed about this, but I've been through the excuses myself with my thyroid when it tanked out on me and stopped responding to medication. It took nine months to get it back under control. During that time, I put on 35 pounds. During that time, I blamed my thyroid. My doctor kept telling me it wouldn't be responsible for that much weight gain.

She was right.

In retrospect? I was going through a stressful period in my life and I was eating and eating and eating. I was depressed, I was fatigued, and I was sitting around all day.

I have not yet asked for a referral to an endocrinologist because (as I clearly explained in my previous post) I'm also having some liver issues. I know I could certainly go to two doctors at once, but right now that wouldn't be very convenient. I should know within a couple of weeks whether my liver issues have cleared up or not, and at that point I will make the decision on whether or not to pursue finding another doctor.

As far as weight gain -- no, I didn't gain much at all. Less than 10 pounds. But as I'm very short that's far from an insignificant amount. IIRC the word my lovely doctor used to describe that gain for me was "massive."

I am much more than at the "margins" of the ranges.

It's obvious from your post that most of your weight issue probably was due to the amount you were eating, and to not exercising. Your experience is not universally shared by ALL who have thyroid issues. Some of us really did gain despite eating reasonable portions of healthy food and and exercising. Just as an FYI -- I'm not a newbie at the weight loss game. Over 25 years ago I successfully lost 64 pounds and kept it off pretty much until my thyroid went wonky. I very much do know what I'm talking about.

I am no newbie to any of this either, for the record.

I am concerned for you now, though if you're not just at the margins. Then again, if your labs are testing within normal range and the doctor isn't treating symptoms that persist, I can't imagine how you don't qualify as being at the margins. Certainly he wouldn't leave you under-medicated with out of normal lab ranges?

However, you're obviously not concerned enough by the matter to deal with inconvenience, so complain away here since that's all you can do in the meantime.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    2Poufs wrote: »
    BWBTrish wrote: »
    and for the detox aspect..there is no detox or resetting your body. Really people stay on top here
    its about a 1200 diet

Respectfully, I beg to differ. A hard reset can help get some people get back on track after an indulgence. I'm not a fan of calling it a "detox," as that's nowhere near the proper term. That's why I refer to it as a "reset." It's a mechanism to get back on track. Is it the only one? No, but it is a useful tool.

A reset is a mechanism to get back on track to.......?

What's the difference between a hard reset, soft reset, and somewhere in the middle reset?

Okay, joking aside now. :)

I suspect you indeed are talking about detox, which your body never needs because it naturally detoxes itself through your pee and poop.

• coco_bee
    coco_bee Posts: 173 Member
    On 1200 calories, no I dont feel totally full. I feel half full and satisfied which is enough for me. I practice mindful eating. It really does work and I might feel a little peckish at times but I never feel hungry :)
  • Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    aggelikik wrote: »
    I'm 5'1" with hypothyroidism too. It's not an excuse. Properly medicated and treated, it's a non-issue, frankly. If it's causing problems, you're not being properly treated for it. I'll be 53 in one week. The numbers don't need to take your hypothyroidism into consideration once you're medicated properly. You'll be just like everyone else in that case.

I agree with you that hypothyroidism shouldn't be an issue when it's properly medicated. But I'm recently diagnosed and so my doc and I are still working on getting me to that point. So for me right now it IS an issue.

every time I hear someone boast of their magnificent doctor medicating their thyroid issues so marvelously, I have to restrain the urge to ask , who they are, what the doctor's number is and if they take insurance. Because from experience there are WAY more craptastic doctors not even attempting to actually properly treat thyroid patients than there are good ones.

* hashimoto's patient with grave's antibodies too.* doctors aren't sure what to do with my labs

I admit I am shocked. Where do you live? Don't you have access to an endocrinologist? I am in Europe, Hashimoto's sounds pretty trivial to treat. Perhaps it has to do with medical procedures where you are? Where I live it would be for example unthinkable (and impossible) for a physician to attempt treating a thyroid issue or prescribing meds for this, you are sent directly to the endocrinologist from the start. I was diagnosed 22 years ago, and suffer from a few other hormonal disorders too. I have been medicated with few adjustments since, never really had any complaints, whenever something felt off it was addressed within a few weeks. By different drs, most in public hospitals, where in general you do nto get that amazing personalised care here. I have heard similar stories from every other patient I have ever met, of things going pretty much smoothly, and it is a pretty common illness, so I know several people suffering from Hashimoto's or Graves.

Very small town in the deep south.

This year from March forward I have been taken on and off meds. The levels either shoot up or drop down to far. Currently off meds. Nect scheduled trip to New Orleans for a doctor appointment is in early September for more blood work. Have been every 5 weeks since late March after an overnight stay in the hospital with a sky high resting heart rate, they wrre clear was from my thyroid swinging to hard to hyper.

New Orleans is 3 hours one way drive. At least I get a good lunch after. =)
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    SLLRunner wrote: »

What's the difference between a hard reset, soft reset, and somewhere in the middle reset?

I suspect you indeed are talking about detox, which your body never needs because it naturally detoxes itself through your pee and poop.

@SLLRunner ... back on track to the eating required by my doctor. I have issues with moderation of some foods. If I have those trigger foods, it's a struggle to get back. I do a hard reset and boom, I'm there. No muss, no fuss, no cravings, no missing those foods for days... one day and I'm back to where I need to be.

For me, a hard reset removes every trace of the trigger foods. A soft reset means I just trim back. Last weekend, I tried a soft reset Sunday and craved. I did a hard reset Monday and I was done and not one thought of foods I'm simply not allowed to have on any regular basis. Saturday, as part of celebrating my birthday, was filled with treats I want all the time. That can't happen, so I used a reset to stop the behavior.

It's not a detox; it's a... mental game. It's like wearing lucky socks to a ballgame or a lucky shirt on a date or touching the same spot on the wall before speaking in front of a crowd. A detox indicates some sort of physical requirement to rid the body of something, which isn't what I'm doing or intending. For me, a reset is mental.

While I understand there are loads of people who have eating disorders and have similar behaviors, this is a technique taught to me by a psychiatrist specializing in bariatric patients and reinforced by my bariatric doctor and nutritionist. It's a simple behavior modification technique.
  • paulcenso
    paulcenso Posts: 55 Member
    This isn't a thread bashing you, it's me asking how do you manage it?? I get super hungry on that little a day, however I'm wanting to try it again. What are your typical meals? Do you ever feel famished?

I am 5'11 211 lbs and I eat 1200 -1400 Max calories a day. I eat every two hours things High in protein. I've lost almost 20 lbs in 30 days.
  • reagenkid80
    reagenkid80 Posts: 2 Member
    This isn't a thread bashing you, it's me asking how do you manage it?? I get super hungry on that little a day, however I'm wanting to try it again. What are your typical meals? Do you ever feel famished?

Try sugar free chewing gum. Sometimes just chewing gum can ease hunger.
  • nikkiab86
    nikkiab86 Posts: 45 Member
    TerriJoT wrote: »
    I feel like I'm always hungry too...even if I eat every 2, 3 or 4 hours. I try and eat more veggies but those calories add up too.

This.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    paulcenso wrote: »

I am 5'11 211 lbs and I eat 1200 -1400 Max calories a day. I eat every two hours things High in protein. I've lost almost 20 lbs in 30 days.
    And that is most certainly not enough cals for you. Why the extreme approach?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    arditarose wrote: »
    I'm at 1300 today. I would have been full on 1200, I used at least 100 calories of PB2 in my protein fluff which doesn't need it.

Oh, and that's how I get full. High volume: veg, protein, and that protein fluff

PB2 in protein fluff? I'm interested in this concoction. What is it? How do you make it?

I make my protein fluff with 20 grams of casein protein powder (cannot be whey or any other), 6 grams of xanthun gum, 10 0z of any liquid (milk, almond milk, diet soda, I use water). From there you can go crazy. You can add whatever fruit you want, I used 100 grams of banana. You can literally add whatever you want to make it as low calorie or as high calorie as needed. One night I sprinkled two reeses cups on top. Now I use a good 30 grams of PB2, some cocoa powder, maybe a little sweetener. This fluff becomes so big it fills an entire mixing bowl.

Here's one that @vismal makes. I tried it with diet root beer and didn't like it though. I prefer water and probably some sort of milk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR3Z028prSU
  • queenmom69
    queenmom69 Posts: 2 Member
    I eat 1250/day. Protein, protein, protein! I have 3 meals and 2 snacks per day. The only time I feel hungry is really close to meal time. I also drink 8-12 glasses of water.
  • wrabbit007
    wrabbit007 Posts: 16 Member
    edited August 2015
    I have been on a 1200 cal diet for a few days now and did well until last night when I binge snacked because I was so hungry! I also worked out for the first time yesterday since having my baby, so that might account for the increased hunger because I've been doing okay on the 1200 diet. Lots of water and lots of protein at dinner has been making me feel full, as well as having a healthy 100 calorie snack between each 'main' meal.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    2Poufs wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »

@SLLRunner ... back on track to the eating required by my doctor. I have issues with moderation of some foods. If I have those trigger foods, it's a struggle to get back. I do a hard reset and boom, I'm there. No muss, no fuss, no cravings, no missing those foods for days... one day and I'm back to where I need to be.

For me, a hard reset removes every trace of the trigger foods. A soft reset means I just trim back. Last weekend, I tried a soft reset Sunday and craved. I did a hard reset Monday and I was done and not one thought of foods I'm simply not allowed to have on any regular basis. Saturday, as part of celebrating my birthday, was filled with treats I want all the time. That can't happen, so I used a reset to stop the behavior.

It's not a detox; it's a... mental game. It's like wearing lucky socks to a ballgame or a lucky shirt on a date or touching the same spot on the wall before speaking in front of a crowd. A detox indicates some sort of physical requirement to rid the body of something, which isn't what I'm doing or intending. For me, a reset is mental.

While I understand there are loads of people who have eating disorders and have similar behaviors, this is a technique taught to me by a psychiatrist specializing in bariatric patients and reinforced by my bariatric doctor and nutritionist. It's a simple behavior modification technique.

This, I use a similar technique myself to stop myself when I feel I am slipping up. I totally get what you're saying, it pretty much works like an emergency stop for me, and I am back on track. It has worked for my 19kg or 42lbs weightloss so far :smile:
  • taanzaa39
    taanzaa39 Posts: 3 Member

I'm on a 1200 calorie diet, but as another poster commented, it does fluctuate depending upon my level of activity (inactivity). In active days I stay within 1200. Am I hungry? Physically, no...mentally completely unsatisfied. But, on active days where I burn 200-300 calories extra, and my intake increases 200-300 calories more I actually am physically and mentally satisfied.

• jeanjohnston
    jeanjohnston Posts: 6 Member
    edited August 2015
    I drink lots of water and chew gum whenever i get the urge to grab more -- which helps. I also try to eat a larger amount of low calorie foods such as strawberries, lettuse etc because you get to eat a greater volume to fill you up. More bang for you buck I guess. I do agree some days are much more difficult then others.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    I'm at 1300 today. I would have been full on 1200, I used at least 100 calories of PB2 in my protein fluff which doesn't need it.

Oh, and that's how I get full. High volume: veg, protein, and that protein fluff

PB2 in protein fluff? I'm interested in this concoction. What is it? How do you make it?

I make my protein fluff with 20 grams of casein protein powder (cannot be whey or any other), 6 grams of xanthun gum, 10 0z of any liquid (milk, almond milk, diet soda, I use water). From there you can go crazy. You can add whatever fruit you want, I used 100 grams of banana. You can literally add whatever you want to make it as low calorie or as high calorie as needed. One night I sprinkled two reeses cups on top. Now I use a good 30 grams of PB2, some cocoa powder, maybe a little sweetener. This fluff becomes so big it fills an entire mixing bowl.

Here's one that @vismal makes. I tried it with diet root beer and didn't like it though. I prefer water and probably some sort of milk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR3Z028prSU

Mind. Blown.

How's noise and clean up for something like this, though? Unfortunately I have none of the ingredients and would need to spend a minimum of $50. But this could basically mean a homemade blizzard for way less calories >:)