Hiking - Come share your tips and experiences.

13»

Replies

• Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    I could learn from you! Most I've ever done was 10 or 12 miles unless it was camping and then moving on the next day.

I love hiking, I'm going to beg, borrow, or steal a reliable car from somewhere when the leaves turn and head up to NC for dawn to dusk adventures.

(Just kidding, not going to steal the car, dawn to dusk adventures in jail don't sound fun! Maybe I should change that to beg, borrow, or rent a car!)
  • Jonny15121983
    Jonny15121983 Posts: 574 Member
    mwyvr wrote: »
    I live in Vancouver, British Columbia. Our coastal mountains are super rugged - anyone taking off from YVR (not my screen name) can see that readily. Even though this is a "big" city by Canadian standards, I can get to a trail head within 30 minutes from my front door.

Here's an example of something I run in lightweight running shoes:
    IMG_20150610_154443.jpg

It's not just the shoe/boot that protects us, it's balance, agility, and technique that matter most. Like the OP I always favour lighter weight shoes for most hiking, and for all trail running. The only time I don stiff boots is when wearing crampons for ice field and glacier travel, or for kicking steps in same when conditions allow.

Running allows me to turn a notional 5 hour hike (maybe less for the OP) into a sub 2 hour run so I can visit these falls far more regularly. My dog loves the pools below... and we'll be heading there today or tomorrow!IMG_20150704_095249.jpg

@Jonny15121983 43 miles in one day of hiking? Super beast mode! I'm not at all surprised you favour lighter shoes. It's simply easier to lift our feet with lighter shoes and the longer the distance the more pronounced the difference that makes.

Wow that is some absolutely gorgeous yet really rough terrain, I'm jealous!! The trails around here are very well established and within half an hour I can be up on the Cotswold Way Trail. I wish we had more undiscovered terrain to enjoy but England being the way it is that isn't too great of an option without travelling further afield.

I completely agree based on what I have learned so far, with proper mental attention it is technique and placement that feel far superior to a well supported ankle. Those falls look gorgeous!!

Haha I think it was more 'Stupidity mode' engaged :D My aim had actually been to hike the 37 miles to one end of the trail and then return home, the extra stupid part was that this was the first time I had worn my new hiking boots. I made it to the end of the trail at about 1am and turned to head back. By this stage my feet were in agony and 6 miles later I limped into Broadway at 3:30 am physically unable to continue. I've often wondered whether I could have made it there and back had I been wearing lighter shoes. It was a silly distance to be honest with you and I caused some pretty severe damage that took many weeks to heal, I prefer to keep to under 30 miles now, all part of the learning experience though!!

• patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    I love hiking, it would be my favourite thing to do if I could do it

water, backpack, hiking boots, and let's go, in the middle of the nature and wildlife

unfortunately I live in a place that is flat, when my favourite is to hike on mountains - but in the last few years I spent my holidays in america/canada (banff, whistler, yellowstone/gran teton, alaska) - wonderful places, great hikes and memories

• Jonny15121983
    patrikc333 wrote: »
    water, backpack, hiking boots, and let's go, in the middle of the nature and wildlife

Naked hiking?! :O
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    there is a part of me hoping to do part of the PCT or Appalachian. but i think it would be a hard sell to the bf.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    moyer566 wrote: »
    there is a part of me hoping to do part of the PCT or Appalachian. but i think it would be a hard sell to the bf.

Do it!
  • Lahn1969
    Lahn1969 Posts: 3 Member
    The blisters you describe - interdigital - are the hardest to prevent. There are a few things you can do, but they work to varying degrees. Use foot powder, usually this will absorb sweat and help keep your feet dry, the powder also acts as a lubricant of sorts to prevent your toes from rubbing skin-on-skin. Next, change your socks - more often than you think. Like every 10 miles or more depending upon the weather. If you're trying to go ultralight, you can hang them on your pack to air them out and rotate 2 pair. If its wet or humid, just bring more socks.

If this absolutely isn't working, then you can carefully use tape or moleskin between your toes (but a word of caution, keep it loose so you don't cut off circulation, and depending upon the tape leave it on until it falls off. Otherwise you risk tearing the skin.) If you plan to use moleskin, pre-cut this at home, put it on your feet while they're dry, before the hike. I've found that cutting it in an hour-glass shape without going too thin works best. That way the wide-ends grab the toenail and bottom of the toe to hold the narrow belly in place. Cutting it on the trail with a small swiss-army knife isn't ideal.

Beyond that is just to keep hiking and eventually you'll build enough callouses.
  • Jonny15121983
    Thanks for the tips but I solved the problem with a pair of Injinji Toe Socks, they are like gloves for your feet :D Worked perfectly!