In a HUGE caloric deficient but still not loosing?

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    hproctor02 wrote: »
    dubird wrote: »
    The only shocking part about this for me is you are totalling approx 5-600 calories a day, even with a dr, a physician and a PA involved, that is extremely low and fatigue and dizziness will soon set in (Shocking news, there are few diets I have not tried in the past) I would check if they meant 900-1100 in total a day or to eat back a proportion of your exercise calories.
    No I do not eat back the calories that my fit but estimates I burn, I eat totoal 900 to 1100 a day. I should have mentioned it because it seems like everyone is a nutritionist, but this caloric intake was a number that my physician, as well a dietitian and PA choose for me. With out my work outs the number was closer to 500 calories. I'm also on supplements before and after work outs to help muscle building ect and they are logged daily but have 0 nutrictional value. YES I break a sweat. 3 days a week I lift weights and 2 are usually cardio oh and yes even my obese body can manage a 5k jogging (SHOCKER) and yes it can also handle 20 minutes of hard HITTS (Shocked you again!). And YES even my fat *kitten* is can count the number on a food scale... I weigh EVERYTHING.

Thanks for the input everyone, I'll check with my physician about the caloric intake.

Stay classy

Well you sure seem to have everything figured out and don't seem hangry at all.

Have fun trying to continue your workouts on such poor nutrition.

Lol I'm definitely not hangry. There were a few very rude post implying that because I am obese i cant count ounces/grams, I probably don't break a sweat and that i'm likely "lying: about what I am logging. I dint post in a public weight loss/ fit forum to be scrutinize and that's what that was addressing. I was looking for people who have been in similar situations as me and the food changes I've made. Anyone who has consulted extreme weightloss programs have run into diets like the HCG and metabolic research center low calorie diets 500-1200 depending on your activity level. I was really looking for others who have done similar diets and routines.

Most people aren't calling you a liar for the accuracy (or lack thereof) of your logging. Pretty much ALL of us started out thinking we were doing it correctly when we weren't. I thought I was doing ok, but tried logging with a scale for a week and was SHOCKED by how off I was. Something 400-500 A DAY wasn't being logged! Learning to log accurately is a skill you have to learn, you don't just 'know' it. 'Knowing' how much I was eating wasn't enough because I really didn't know. I had to retrain my body and brain to what a proper portion of food was, and even now I still weigh food from time to time to keep myself on track.

If you've honestly gone THAT low in calories and aren't losing any weight over the course of a couple of weeks, you should talk to your doctor. Weight loss is simply burning more calories than you consume (CICO). That's it. You can achieve this by either eating less, burning more, or a combination of those two. It's just that simple. HOW you do it is up to you. People are recommending you not do 'diets' or supplements or the like because they don't work long term. You have to relearn eating habits to KEEP weight off, and those things don't do that. A lot of them can be dangerous because your body won't get the nutrition it needs to function correctly, which is part of the reason people get hungry or not feel good while doing it.

You also need to keep in mind that to lose weight in a healthy manner and keep it off, it's going to be SLOW. You didn't put on the weight in a week, you're not going to lose it all in a week. Nor is the weight loss going to be EXACTLY the same every week. There are so many variables involved that there will be weeks you lose nothing and weeks where you lose more than you thought you would. Don't weigh yourself every day (unless you doctor needs a daily weight log). Weigh yourself once a month and log it. As long as the overall TREND in your weight is going down, you're doing good. Don't stress if it goes up or stays the same unless it does so for a month.

Now, if you're on a VLCD given to you by your doctor, that's another story. If they did so, they should have given you a very detailed plan, be monitoring you weekly to make sure you're getting the nutrition you need, and have an after-care plan when you start upping your calories again. But if your doctor just said 'eat this much every day' without any kind of direction, has no plan and support for AFTER your VLCD time, and told you to take something like HCG or other diet pills, GET A SECOND OPINION. You are perfectly within your rights to do so and you don't have to tell the current doctor you're doing so if you don't want to. After all, this is your health we're talking about. You need to take charge of it and don't be afraid to question if you're given dubious advice. Good luck!

Thanks!I weigh in twice a week and share my food diary weekly as well and they tweek it. I work about 110 hours a with two jobs so it gets a little hectic so they are suggesting foods that can be taken on the go. This is not a permanent "diet", its just the first step in a multi step program. There was one guy who said "if your that *kitten* fat and not loosing, your straight lying about weighing everything"...I had MFP remove it..
    [/quote]

You work 110 hours/week? I legit had to get my calculator out to verify, there are only 168 hours in a 7 day week! When do you sleep?

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    22 year old female. Eating 900-1100 calories per day. Working out 4-6 times a week including cardio and heavy weights. I focus on hitting my protein, fats and carb goals. I have logged everything including dressings, spices and I have been weighing my food for proportions. I started at 293. Last Monday 8/17 I started with cleaning up my diet and working out. I went from 286.4 to 279 in a week, but since then I haven't lost a thing. I even gained a pound? I understand that its still very early...not even two weeks but what the *kitten*? With my deficient and the amount of calories i burn while working out...I should be loosing 0.5 pounds a day at least! I also wear a fit bit that counts calories burned so I am basing my calories out on that. Very frustrating. Any suggestions?

I'm surprised no one has suggested this but it's obvious to me that you're most likely NOT eating 900-1100 cals. Doesn't matter what your food tracker says. You're getting it wrong. You can't be 280, exercise 4-6 times and not lose weight. Since you're maintaining, it only means that your food and exercise equals TDEE.

Your solution is to reduce intake(bc your actual it's higher than you think/say), increase exercise(are you strolling around or actually breaking a sweat?) or both.

That was my first assessment as well, but it's incorrect. It's been too short of a time to conclude that she is eating more than she realizes.
  • tabl_23
    tabl_23 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hahaha....
    No I do not eat back the calories that my fit but estimates I burn, I eat totoal 900 to 1100 a day. I should have mentioned it because it seems like everyone is a nutritionist, but this caloric intake was a number that my physician, as well a dietitian and PA choose for me. With out my work outs the number was closer to 500 calories. I'm also on supplements before and after work outs to help muscle building ect and they are logged daily but have 0 nutrictional value. YES I break a sweat. 3 days a week I lift weights and 2 are usually cardio oh and yes even my obese body can manage a 5k jogging (SHOCKER) and yes it can also handle 20 minutes of hard HITTS (Shocked you again!). And YES even my fat *kitten* is can count the number on a food scale... I weigh EVERYTHING.

Thanks for the input everyone, I'll check with my physician about the caloric intake.

Stay classy

I love thus! Good for you girl! Keep up the good work and I'm sure you will be successful!!!
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    OP hasn't lost in a few days because of water weight. She'll have another large loss soon. OP, stop weighing yourself every day until you accept that the scale does crazy things. When you jump into an intense exercise routine after being sedentary, you create little tears in your muscles, and they hold water. Plus, your body likes to balance things out after you lose a lot of water. Weigh once a week.

Weeks 3-5 or so, I had a 0.2 pound loss followed by a 3.6 lb gain. I was in a deficit (though not as large as yours at the time). I had also just added new activity. I weigh and log accurately. I knew it was water. The following week, I lost 15 pounds.

If your doctor is supervising this, then I feel no need to tell you how much to eat. It would be a good idea to double check on eating back exercise calories.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options

You work 110 hours/week? I legit had to get my calculator out to verify, there are only 168 hours in a 7 day week! When do you sleep?

I was thinking the very same thing.
  • le4hbe4h
    le4hbe4h Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You aren't eating enough. Not eating enough makes your body hold on to whatever it can get sometimes causing weight gain.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    In addition to everything that's already been said, OP, your body might respond better with adequate rest. Your cortisol levels must be crazy high. Is there any way you can cut back on working so much?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    The only shocking part about this for me is you are totalling approx 5-600 calories a day, even with a dr, a physician and a PA involved, that is extremely low and fatigue and dizziness will soon set in (Shocking news, there are few diets I have not tried in the past) I would check if they meant 900-1100 in total a day or to eat back a proportion of your exercise calories.

Stay classy

Lol I'm definitely not hangry. There were a few very rude post implying that because I am obese i cant count ounces/grams, I probably don't break a sweat and that i'm likely "lying: about what I am logging. I dint post in a public weight loss/ fit forum to be scrutinize and that's what that was addressing. I was looking for people who have been in similar situations as me and the food changes I've made. Anyone who has consulted extreme weightloss programs have run into diets like the HCG and metabolic research center low calorie diets 500-1200 depending on your activity level. I was really looking for others who have done similar diets and routines.

Most people aren't calling you a liar for the accuracy (or lack thereof) of your logging. Pretty much ALL of us started out thinking we were doing it correctly when we weren't. I thought I was doing ok, but tried logging with a scale for a week and was SHOCKED by how off I was. Something 400-500 A DAY wasn't being logged! Learning to log accurately is a skill you have to learn, you don't just 'know' it. 'Knowing' how much I was eating wasn't enough because I really didn't know. I had to retrain my body and brain to what a proper portion of food was, and even now I still weigh food from time to time to keep myself on track.

If you've honestly gone THAT low in calories and aren't losing any weight over the course of a couple of weeks, you should talk to your doctor. Weight loss is simply burning more calories than you consume (CICO). That's it. You can achieve this by either eating less, burning more, or a combination of those two. It's just that simple. HOW you do it is up to you. People are recommending you not do 'diets' or supplements or the like because they don't work long term. You have to relearn eating habits to KEEP weight off, and those things don't do that. A lot of them can be dangerous because your body won't get the nutrition it needs to function correctly, which is part of the reason people get hungry or not feel good while doing it.

You also need to keep in mind that to lose weight in a healthy manner and keep it off, it's going to be SLOW. You didn't put on the weight in a week, you're not going to lose it all in a week. Nor is the weight loss going to be EXACTLY the same every week. There are so many variables involved that there will be weeks you lose nothing and weeks where you lose more than you thought you would. Don't weigh yourself every day (unless you doctor needs a daily weight log). Weigh yourself once a month and log it. As long as the overall TREND in your weight is going down, you're doing good. Don't stress if it goes up or stays the same unless it does so for a month.

Now, if you're on a VLCD given to you by your doctor, that's another story. If they did so, they should have given you a very detailed plan, be monitoring you weekly to make sure you're getting the nutrition you need, and have an after-care plan when you start upping your calories again. But if your doctor just said 'eat this much every day' without any kind of direction, has no plan and support for AFTER your VLCD time, and told you to take something like HCG or other diet pills, GET A SECOND OPINION. You are perfectly within your rights to do so and you don't have to tell the current doctor you're doing so if you don't want to. After all, this is your health we're talking about. You need to take charge of it and don't be afraid to question if you're given dubious advice. Good luck!

Thanks!I weigh in twice a week and share my food diary weekly as well and they tweek it. I work about 110 hours a with two jobs so it gets a little hectic so they are suggesting foods that can be taken on the go. This is not a permanent "diet", its just the first step in a multi step program. There was one guy who said "if your that *kitten* fat and not loosing, your straight lying about weighing everything"...I had MFP remove it..

The medical professional with whom you share your diary is aware that some days you net 500 calories?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, is the dietitian aware of your work schedule and how much you are exercising? That schedule just seems like a lot to ask of your body when you are giving it so little food.

To be blunt, primary care doctors get about as much education in nutrition as accountants do. If your dietitian is aware of your diet and your schedule, I hope they are leading you down the right path. Don't be afraid to speak up to them and question anything that might be affecting your health. Best of luck...
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    OP, is the dietitian aware of your work schedule and how much you are exercising? That schedule just seems like a lot to ask of your body when you are giving it so little food.

To be blunt, primary care doctors get about as much education in nutrition as accountants do. If your dietitian is aware of your diet and your schedule, I hope they are leading you down the right path. Don't be afraid to speak up to them and question anything that might be affecting your health. Best of luck...

+1
  • LisaTx972
    LisaTx972 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Your starving your body. I didn't read all the comments because your post said it all! Your body will fight for every thing you give it if you don't give it what it needs. Eat more!! And you will lose!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    le4hbe4h wrote: »
    You aren't eating enough. Not eating enough makes your body hold on to whatever it can get sometimes causing weight gain.

No. This doesn't happen.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Stay classy

Wait. So are you doing an HCG or other similar diet, even if under the guidance of your doctor? Is the doctor your regular doctor, or a registered dietician, or someone at a weight loss center?

It's my primary physician who also works with patients on meal planning, and then weve been working with a registered dietitian. Its a plan similar to those you would find at weight loss centers, but its not an exact replica. I don't pre-purchase any foods or drinks. I just used it as a reference for those who are familiar with such plans. This deficient is 100% not forever or even an extended period of time. Its a kick start into the weight loss and then the program starts building back up to maintenance for the body depending on the individuals weight loss. [/quote]

The word is defecit not deficient

Life it's short term and medically supervised then good luck

My experience and readings of studies convince me that it's unnecessary to eat so low but in the short term ...meh

Weight loss is not linear
    Activity needs to be funded with fuel
    If over 6-8 weeks you average 2lbs loss that's a win
  • hproctor02
    hproctor02 Posts: 20 Member
    Options

I was thinking the very same thing.

Lol. About 3 hours before and after each job. 30 min naps here and their. Medical Field.

• ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Bah, so many dreadful alarmists. The girl clearly isn't wasting away. Simply eating "more" is not going to make you healthier. She is not going to be running marathons from a few spoonfuls of peanut butter (to hit the magical 1200). Anyway, chill out OP and continue working with your doctor.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    In addition to everything that's already been said, OP, your body might respond better with adequate rest. Your cortisol levels must be crazy high. Is there any way you can cut back on working so much?

I was thinking the same.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    ohmscheeks wrote: »
    Bah, so many dreadful alarmists. The girl clearly isn't wasting away. Simply eating "more" is not going to make you healthier. She is not going to be running marathons from a few spoonfuls of peanut butter (to hit the magical 1200). Anyway, chill out OP and continue working with your doctor.

Are...are you for real? There are days she's not even close to 1200 net.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    ohmscheeks wrote: »

Are...are you for real? There are days she's not even close to 1200 net.

It's Friday
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    wait for the next post of OP

help my hair falls out..how come

My period stopped i dont know why???

OP you seem to be very determent and good for you
    But yes you have to eat more to keep this up....
    When not...well everybody is different. But in the long or short run you damage your self with this.

And for the no weight loss part...well like everybody else said...have more patience.