Why 2lb/week limit?

13»

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Werk2Eat wrote: »
    WBB55 wrote: »

I don't know the OP's full stats. But he's listed as wanting to lose 25 lbs. I put some average male numbers into here and used the highest setting for activity. The calculator spit out ~3500 as the TDEE.

So basically @Werk2Eat if you had an active job where you walked and hauled things... let's say farmhand... 5 days a week and on top of that you did some extra exercise like run a 10k every day, and if you only ate 1500 calories per day, then sure, you'd lose 4 lbs a week. But I don't think you'd last a week before exhausting yourself.

I do Roofing and Siding. Some days i am very active and some days i am mostly stationary working a cutting board and metal bending brake. Also some days it rains and i am not working. There is no real accurate way to calculate my activity level. I set MFP to lightly active and MFP says i should eat 1600 to lose 2lb/week. I am eating 1600 but after work i walk on my treadmill at a 8 incline and burn a good 500-750 cal i am not eating back.

Where is the 500-750 caloreis on the treadmill coming from? Most exercise equipment's numbers and even the numbers MFP gives for an activity is overestimated. Burning 500 calories is usually going to take an hour of at least moderate activity.
  • Werk2Eat
    Werk2Eat Posts: 114 Member
    FatMoojor wrote: »
    Don't have your stats or anything like that, but I'm male, 35, 5"7 and currently weigh around 160lbs. For me to burn around 2000 calories in a day, it takes about 3 hours of running at an average pace of 5.5mph.

So yes you can burn 2000 calories a day, you just have to run around 16 miles at a constant pace. I can tell you 100% that if you do that and only consume 1500 calories a day, you will not be running 16 miles after maybe the 3rd day if you are lucky, because you would have zero energy and your body would start to break down muscle.

Not only that but you wouldn't even be able to repair the current muscle you have from the beating it would take from the exercise required to burn the 2000 calories.

Same age, same height, but i am 170lbs. I usually keep a running pace of 5.5mph but at a 2-3 incline. I dont go for 3 hours, but i can go for 1 hour twice a day (when im not working those days) maybe not 2000 calories but a good 1600-1700.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member

Same age, same height, but i am 170lbs. I usually keep a running pace of 5.5mph but at a 2-3 incline. I dont go for 3 hours, but i can go for 1 hour twice a day (when im not working those days) maybe not 2000 calories but a good 1600-1700.

Can and do are different.
    Everyday and everyday im not working are different.
    You are not burning 800-850 calories an hour.
  • Werk2Eat
    999tigger wrote: »

At a constant HR of 175bpm i am. And yes i DO run twice a day for an hour each time when i am not working. I work 9-5 five days a week, do you work EVERYDAY?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    But even for a large, athletic male, a 2000 burn daily seems unsustainable.

It's roughly a 100km ride on a bike. Doable every day, yes, absolutely, but only if most of the calorie burn is eaten back.

Big burns + big deficits is a fantastic way to strip away lean body mass...
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited September 2015
    999tigger wrote: »

At a constant HR of 175bpm i am. And yes i DO run twice a day for an hour each time when i am not working. I work 9-5 five days a week, do you work EVERYDAY?

Heart rate has little to do with it. At 190 pounds, 800 calories in running requires a running distance of 7 miles. Scale for your actual weight.

Vast majority of people will not be able to do this on a daily basis, but it is certainly possible.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,902 Member
    Because it's sensible. One can do whatever they want to lose weight. There's no stopping anyone from doing it to the extremes. It's just not sensible to do it that way.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    My Q in my original post is, why is there a 2lb limit per week. It seems that if i count my calories and calculate a 2lb per week loss, then burn that extra 500 calories per day, it would seem that 3lb's per week is not impossible. I just want to hear scientific reasons why this is/isn't possible.

Even with 2 lb/week loss rate many people hit the 1200 calorie bottom stop and the maths goes to pot.

IIRC the obese guy who fasted for a year lost about 0.7 lb/day on average by eating zero, so you're correct that more than 2 lbs is possible, He was very obese to start with.

Biggest Loser participants (again, obese) apparently eat around 1200 and expend around 3200 so they too have a higher deficit than MFP would set up. They also have a somewhat extraordinary lifestlye and I guess MFP is targetting the more typical free living adult.
  • Werk2Eat
    Dropped down another 4 lbs in a week. I take whole food vitamins so Energy level is non issue. If nobody has heard of the Warrior diet i suggest you look it up. I have been using this diet for almost a decade and it works when you want to use it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrior_diet
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Dropped down another 4 lbs in a week. I take whole food vitamins so Energy level is non issue. If nobody has heard of the Warrior diet i suggest you look it up. I have been using this diet for almost a decade and it works when you want to use it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrior_diet

To restrictive

I stick to my CICO
    And lost fine the last 11 months

95069916.png

• austinsneeze
    austinsneeze Posts: 220 Member
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    It would not be possible to burn an extra 2000 calories a day. Most people can manage no more than about a 500 deficit per day.

This makes no sense. I have no trouble with a 1000 caloric deficit per day. My body is accustom to the warrior diet which makes it very easy to stay in normal and extreme deficit's.

What is extreme and how do you know your body is accustom to it? Because you aren't dead?

Haha
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    My withings scale estimates I have 97 lbs of fat (I weigh 210). According to the 31 calories per pound of fat, that would mean I could lose as much as 6 lbs a week and still be "safe".

That estimate sounds too high to me. But it does make me worry less if my rate bounces up a bit while I'm still around my current weight.

In any case, over the past 70 days I've averaged 2 lbs every 10 days. I'd rather that was 7 days, but 10 days will still get me there eventually.

I intend to use fat % rather than weight as my endpoint. Current estimate if I didn't lose any muscle mass (which I know is unrealistic unless I add weight training) would put my target weight around 145 lbs, but I'll keep re-assessing as I get closer, and re-adjusting my weight target to reflect a healthy body composition.

I hope this is the right way to do it...
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    LAT1963 wrote: »
    My withings scale estimates I have 97 lbs of fat (I weigh 210). According to the 31 calories per pound of fat, that would mean I could lose as much as 6 lbs a week and still be "safe".

That estimate sounds too high to me. But it does make me worry less if my rate bounces up a bit while I'm still around my current weight.

In any case, over the past 70 days I've averaged 2 lbs every 10 days. I'd rather that was 7 days, but 10 days will still get me there eventually.

I intend to use fat % rather than weight as my endpoint. Current estimate if I didn't lose any muscle mass (which I know is unrealistic unless I add weight training) would put my target weight around 145 lbs, but I'll keep re-assessing as I get closer, and re-adjusting my weight target to reflect a healthy body composition.

I hope this is the right way to do it...
    The 31 calories / lb of body fat isn't a safe range. It is an estimate of the theoretical maximum fat that can be oxidized for energy in the typical person.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/16869653/#Comment_16869653 has the text that was originally written by Lyle McDonald.
  • Werk2Eat
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    What is extreme and how do you know your body is accustom to it? Because you aren't dead?
    Haha

Laugh, but it works, and im still kicking and running 5 miles/day.