How do you make peace with throwing food away?

12346»

Replies

• LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I have not done this since I started with MFP.

Before I started here, I would eat all the food. I would make an amount at random, and if it happened to be too much, I'd eat it anyway.

But since I started here, I've weighed and measured everything so that I make and eat precisely what I plan to make and eat. There are no leftovers, but neither do I go over my calorie goal.

This is exactly what I do too. I weigh all my food, it fits into my calories/macros for the day - there is no waste. If I make chicken, I make enough to last for 3 or 4 days, and eat it for several meals - if I have a certain amount left and it is "too much" for my calories, I eat less of something else. If I am going to a restaurant, I plan ahead, check the online menu if possible, choose my item, then estimate what I think the calories will be, and plan my menu around it, again eating less the rest of the day so I don't go over. If I can't plan it, then I choose something that I believe will fit into my calories, eat it and, if I go over that day, I accept it and start again the next day.

The only times I waste food nowadays is when I'm just not in the mood to eat something, fresh vegetables mostly, and it goes bad before I get around to eating it. That always makes me feel bad.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Werk2Eat wrote: »
    stray cats dont seem to mind.

yeah but it's not just stray cats, it could be raccoons or pigeons or god knows what

Homeless men.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    I don't throw away food. I made peace with "planned-over" meals.
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    LaceyBirds wrote: »

The only times I waste food nowadays is when I'm just not in the mood to eat something, fresh vegetables mostly, and it goes bad before I get around to eating it. That always makes me feel bad.

Try blanching veg, portioning and freezing before it goes off. I often buy veg that has been reduced down or on special offer and do this, so handy, already prepped, doesn't take as long to cook, already portioned for me and it usually cost me less.

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,484 Member
    I'm too cheap to toss food, so I store in containers in fridge snd toss a week later.

^^ My wife, exactly.

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited September 2015
    I just don't do it. I put it in a container and keep it for when I'm going to eat it again. I typically freeze it right away to stop bacteria growth. If it's too small for a full portion next time? I'm sure I have something that I can eat with it. Like another container of saved stuff or rice or veggies or something. Or mix beans into it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    I'm too cheap to toss food, so I store in containers in fridge snd toss a week later.

:#

That is *precisely* what happened to me when I tried to be really "good" about this. Wasted water as well, washing those mini storage containers that get lost between and behind things.

There's no point in storing 10-20 grams of chicken thigh imo. A couple of baby potatoes, yes those would find a home in an omelette later.

Those 10-20 grams of chicken thigh can go in the omelette as well :)

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member

My mom taught me this trick too :s

• lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    Another vote for chickens. Food in the back of the pantry that is well past its use by date, mushy grapes, going-off milk, bread crusts, banana peels...

They turn it all into lovely compost for the garden.
  • JeffArmstrong112
    JeffArmstrong112 Posts: 17 Member
    The only guilt I feel throwing food away is the thought of those going hungry at night and the waste in money it costs me. Other than that, eat it or throw it away... when it is gone it is gone. Food is biodegradable it will eventually become food again in the great circle of life :smile:
  • Have you people seen the price of groceries lately? Are you seriously throwing away food? :#

We throw out something small maybe once or twice a month at most, and it's usually because it was accidentally pushed to the back of the fridge - like half of a chicken breast or a partial cucumber, and I feel awful every time simply because I know just how much we have to nickel and dime our grocery budget.

I don't get it because if you're weighing and logging, then your portions should be appropriate. Little bits leftover can equal breakfast or a light lunch. I've had weird stuff like leftover beans and avocado for breakfast before.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

That is *precisely* what happened to me when I tried to be really "good" about this. Wasted water as well, washing those mini storage containers that get lost between and behind things.

There's no point in storing 10-20 grams of chicken thigh imo. A couple of baby potatoes, yes those would find a home in an omelette later.

Those 10-20 grams of chicken thigh can go in the omelette as well :)

I would never eat that in a million years, though :/ Sometimes you just write it off (or I do). Not everyone can be an amazing superhero menu planning machine, know what I mean? Sometimes you just don't want that little bit, and it won't fit with the food that you do want.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    I don't like throwing food away. I think it's wasteful and, given the massive environmental impact of food production, I generally try to avoid it all costs.

Our family pre-plans our weekly menu with an eye towards eliminating waste; dishes later in the week tend to incorporate ingredients from earlier meals. We often have meals entirely comprised of leftovers. We do a big shopping trip on weekends and then buy meat and produce fresh on the day we're eating it to avoid spoilage.

At a restaurant, my wife and I will split an entree since we're virtually guaranteed a serving size big enough for two people ('Murica). If not, we'll take leftovers home and turn it into a lunch.

At home, I weigh the food going on my plate and eat all of it. It's pre-logged, so I know the whole plate fits my calorie goal and I know I have to eat it all to reach my macros/micros.

I've found that preparation is key. A good meal plan, efficient shopping, and pre-logging have really helped us cut down on the wasted food.

Other than the fact I don't have a spouse or kids, I do all these things.
    I hate waste and I have a very tight budget. What I spend on food has to be done wisely. It's ridiculous to throw out food for the sake of it, might as well stand over the garbage can and toss money into it.

I think OP is talking about like 2-3 bites or something, not half a ham.

*shrug* OP hasn't clarified from what I can tell, so who knows what she actually meant.

She said it wasn't enough for leftovers
  • amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    So I don't usually have leftovers from myself but used to have a HUGE problem with cleaning my kids plates for them...those couple of bites of mac and cheese or whatever really added up :disappointed: but now I am at peace with dumping their half eaten food in the trash.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    The thread actually reminded / inspired me to:

Throw out some celery. I didn't even know celery could have leaves. The bunch I bought from Walmart was dirty and had all the leaves. The ones I normally get from kroger have the leaves picked off and are washed and ready to eat. This was grossing me out, so out it went

Throw some old ground beef and turkey into the slow cooker, along with some carrots, mixed veg and BBQ sauce. No idea if it'll be any good, but that should be at least a couple good meals

To the person asking if we've looked at the price of food recently - that's an interesting question, but to address wasting $$, I'd probably want to take a look at habits like buying breakfast, lunch, and coffee, then maybe I'll start worrying about food I'm done eating
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

I'd just like to know what it's like to be that full. Anything that small (as described by the OP) is instantly getting gobbled up

I have a diet plan I could share with you for the low, low price of $9.99 a month ;)

(Just kidding, no one flag me please)

(But it involves lots of steaks )

<---- has been known to eat a 20oz steak, then lick the juice off the plate

I don't have leftovers. But I do stay full 24+ hours after a meal like that. And it means I almost never throw out food. Once in awhile I'll buy some veggies that never make it to my plate, though. Expensive, too. I do hate that.
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    edited September 2015

Throw out some celery. I didn't even know celery could have leaves. The bunch I bought from Walmart was dirty and had all the leaves. The ones I normally get from kroger have the leaves picked off and are washed and ready to eat. This was grossing me out, so out it went

Throw some old ground beef and turkey into the slow cooker, along with some carrots, mixed veg and BBQ sauce. No idea if it'll be any good, but that should be at least a couple good meals

To the person asking if we've looked at the price of food recently - that's an interesting question, but to address wasting $$, I'd probably want to take a look at habits like buying breakfast, lunch, and coffee, then maybe I'll start worrying about food I'm done eating
    Seriously - you threw out a vegetable because it had earth on it, from where it had been growing?!!! What would you do with potatoes?! They come with dirt attached, if you're not paying for the privilege of your supermarket washing them in heavily chlorinated water! Wash all of your veggies in fresh water, and they are PERFECTLY OK to eat! And yes, celery grows with leaves - which are edible, and could have been used to add lots of flavour in that stew you just made!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member

Seriously - you threw out a vegetable because it had earth on it, from where it had been growing?!!! What would you do with potatoes?! They come with dirt attached, if you're not paying for the privilege of your supermarket washing them in heavily chlorinated water! Wash all of your veggies in fresh water, and they are PERFECTLY OK to eat! And yes, celery grows with leaves - which are edible, and could have been used to add lots of flavour in that stew you just made!

I'd washed and eaten one stick with a previous meal. That was enough. The bunch I buy from kroger later today will be great. My potatoes don't have dirt on them either - just had one with dinner last night. Needless to say, planting my own food is nowhere in my near future....
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I often eat more food than I want or need in a sitting. I will be noticeably full and satisfied, but there's still some food left and I always feel so guilty throwing food away, so I'll eat just that little bit more, but then end up very uncomfortable (and eating unnecessary calories). What I have left and end up eating isn't enough to make a portion to eat another time, if it were, fine, I have no problems with leftovers. How can I learn to be at peace with throwing food away. I'm the anti hoarder and love to throw pretty much everything else away with no problem. How can I overcome this issue? Anyone deal with this?

Save it anyway. Incorporate it in another dish or have a bunch of small portions of things together.
    Take smaller portions to begin with. Use a smaller plate. Weigh/measure your portion out. Don't put food that doesn't fit your calorie goal on your plate and you won't have an issue if you eat all of it.
    Cook or buy less food... just cook what fits your calorie goal.
    Ask if someone else would like to have it. Feed it to an animal (check to see if it is safe for them to eat first).
    Think that your health is more important than cleaning your plate. Want to lose weight more than you want to keep eating.
    Start a compost bin. whatcom.wsu.edu/ag/compost/Easywormbin.htm