Whole30 diet -thoughts?

13»

Replies

• southhamptonmike
    southhamptonmike Posts: 61 Member
    why would you need a book to eat meat, fowl, fish, eggs, veggies and some fruit
  • fitcrt
    fitcrt Posts: 76 Member
    kkzmom11 wrote: »
    IMHO, ANY "plan" that restricts a certain food group or any food in general is a HORRIBLE idea. i am with others that say calories in vs calories out is the way to go. i will certainly eat less of the foods that cause me problems, but i can't live my life doing without any certain foods. it's a recipe for disaster.

I agree. Every time I have tried a special/restrictive diet, I fail, eat everything I wasn't "allowed" to eat & gain weight. When I eat what I want in moderation (I do try to eat healthfully most of the time & don't eat a lot of processed foods) & track calories, it works & I don't feel deprived.

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    I have a friend who just finished it. Usually I would say it's unnecessay hardship... but after talking to her it was interesting to see that she said it was easier than she thought - because it gave her a firm reason to stay away from foods that would typically derail her. So honestly, I'm becoming more of a whatever works for you type person, as long as you don't starve yourself. The diet would help to build good habits such as COOKING and saying no to things you don't want in your diet. Which can really be good habits. No, you may not eat that way forever, but it's not like it teaches you nothing either.
  • kkzmom11
    kkzmom11 Posts: 220 Member
    took a quick glance at the "approved" food list. aside from being restrictive, the foods they call for "organic and gain fed" beef IS WAY TOO EXPENSIVE for long term. no thanks. sticking with calories in vs calories out. it's called mindful eating.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    I have a friend who just finished it. Usually I would say it's unnecessay hardship... but after talking to her it was interesting to see that she said it was easier than she thought - because it gave her a firm reason to stay away from foods that would typically derail her. So honestly, I'm becoming more of a whatever works for you type person, as long as you don't starve yourself. The diet would help to build good habits such as COOKING and saying no to things you don't want in your diet. Which can really be good habits. No, you may not eat that way forever, but it's not like it teaches you nothing either.

This is why it works for some, I think, and I'm not knee jerk opposed to it either.

I just think people make the mistake of equating it with healthy eating when it cuts out foods that tend to contribute to healthier eating for many (like dairy and legumes and whole grains), and that one can simply do the same thing without the largely problematic Whole30 rationales for banning stuff like legumes.

When I decided to lose weight I went back to a focus on eating a super healthy diet and cooking everything myself for a while (and I cut out added sugar for a bit), and I tend to prefer something like that to the idea that there's something magical about the Whole30 restrictions or that legumes are responsible for our desire to overeat or some such -- or even the idea that we are fat because of inflammation because we are all (unbeknownst to us) actually suffering from food allergies. I suspect that many people want to believe that it's something like the latter, so the need to exercise discipline will go away if they just do Whole30 for a month.

But yeah, it doesn't hurt to try it if someone wants, although it's no failure not to do it or to decide in the middle it's not for you. I suspect having a challenge is motivational for some people, even if I personally think the specifics of the challenge are kind of odd. (And yes, I do think the challenge for most is stuff like cooking or not eating potato chips or sweets and they don't think about the legumes issue and maybe don't eat many whole grains anyway.)
  • Kimbot88
    Kimbot88 Posts: 109 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    VeryKatie wrote: »

This is why it works for some, I think, and I'm not knee jerk opposed to it either.

I just think people make the mistake of equating it with healthy eating when it cuts out foods that tend to contribute to healthier eating for many (like dairy and legumes and whole grains), and that one can simply do the same thing without the largely problematic Whole30 rationales for banning stuff like legumes.

When I decided to lose weight I went back to a focus on eating a super healthy diet and cooking everything myself for a while (and I cut out added sugar for a bit), and I tend to prefer something like that to the idea that there's something magical about the Whole30 restrictions or that legumes are responsible for our desire to overeat or some such -- or even the idea that we are fat because of inflammation because we are all (unbeknownst to us) actually suffering from food allergies. I suspect that many people want to believe that it's something like the latter, so the need to exercise discipline will go away if they just do Whole30 for a month.

But yeah, it doesn't hurt to try it if someone wants, although it's no failure not to do it or to decide in the middle it's not for you. I suspect having a challenge is motivational for some people, even if I personally think the specifics of the challenge are kind of odd. (And yes, I do think the challenge for most is stuff like cooking or not eating potato chips or sweets and they don't think about the legumes issue and maybe don't eat many whole grains anyway.)

I agree with a lot of this. People want an answer, even if it doesn't ENTIRELY make sense.

I find it hard to believe that legumes are responsible for any of my problems. I have absolutely no difficulty in believing that refined sugar and SOME grains may be to blame. But cutting out thinks like corn, whole grains, and legumes is difficult for me to grasp and to execute. I cook everything so that is not an issue. I can see how it would be very challenging for someone who doesn't cook, eats a lot of processed foods, sugar, dairy, etc. to follow this plan. For me the hardest thing would be the legumes. And apparently I am supposed to buy organic beef, which I didn't know. From a cost standpoint that doesn't really fit for me.

The problem is that everyone has such differing views on what is "right" and it gets SO frustrating: meat is bad for you; meat is good for you; meat is good for you but only if it's organic and raised by virgin eskimos; carbs are good; all carbs are bad; oats are good; oats are bad; fruit is good; fruit is bad; too many bananas is bad; you don't need supplements; you DO need supplements and this is what you need...; sugar is bad; sugar is okay; dark chocolate is good; dark chocolate is actually not good; stay away from legumes; stay away from meat; stay away from corn; stay away from potatoes; no wait potatoes are okay; dairy is bad; no dairy is okay if it's from the same cow that was raised by virgin eskimos and also the cow has to be a virgin; a lot of carbs are the answer; a lot of protein is the answer; this magic pink drink is the answer; this magic elixer is the answer!

WHAT.

I am literally at the point where I'm just going to eat whatever the hell I want and what makes MY body feel right. I'm tired of everyone trying to sell me SOMETHING. It's so ridiculous.

With regard to the Whole30 I have yet to read those books so maybe I still will out of curiosity. But I'm seriously tired of everyone's gimmicks and stuff.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Kimbot88 wrote: »
    The problem is that everyone has such differing views on what is "right" and it gets SO frustrating: meat is bad for you; meat is good for you; meat is good for you but only if it's organic and raised by virgin eskimos; carbs are good; all carbs are bad; oats are good; oats are bad; fruit is good; fruit is bad; too many bananas is bad; you don't need supplements; you DO need supplements and this is what you need...; sugar is bad; sugar is okay; dark chocolate is good; dark chocolate is actually not good; stay away from legumes; stay away from meat; stay away from corn; stay away from potatoes; no wait potatoes are okay; dairy is bad; no dairy is okay if it's from the same cow that was raised by virgin eskimos and also the cow has to be a virgin; a lot of carbs are the answer; a lot of protein is the answer; this magic pink drink is the answer; this magic elixer is the answer!

WHAT.

I am literally at the point where I'm just going to eat whatever the hell I want and what makes MY body feel right. I'm tired of everyone trying to sell me SOMETHING. It's so ridiculous.

Heh, I so know what you mean. It's like everyone is trying to make us second-guess ourselves.

I really enjoyed this article: http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/03/science-compared-every-diet-and-the-winner-is-real-food/284595/

(See also http://bigthink.com/videos/david-katz-on-what-we-know-about-diet)

I also found it helpful to read about Blue Zones (areas where people live the longest), traditional diets across the world, and Matt Fitzgerald's Diet Cults.

My take-away from all of this is that the details we get hung up on or argue about don't matter that much. On the whole, get enough protein (more if it helps you stay full or you are losing weight, to retain muscle mass), ideally get some from fish and non animal sources like legumes, eat a good many vegetables and fruits, keep high cal, low nutrient stuff to a minimum. Maybe focus on getting some good sources of fat like nuts and avocados and fatty fish and olives or olive oil. The rest is personal preference and what makes YOU feel good and happy, and there's likely more of a benefit to not stressing about the details and making yourself neurotic vs. the precise benefit of one diet vs. another. Or so I tell myself. ;-)
  • Kimbot88
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    My take-away from all of this is that the details we get hung up on or argue about don't matter that much. On the whole, get enough protein (more if it helps you stay full or you are losing weight, to retain muscle mass), ideally get some from fish and non animal sources like legumes, eat a good many vegetables and fruits, keep high cal, low nutrient stuff to a minimum. Maybe focus on getting some good sources of fat like nuts and avocados and fatty fish and olives or olive oil. The rest is personal preference and what makes YOU feel good and happy, and there's likely more of a benefit to not stressing about the details and making yourself neurotic vs. the precise benefit of one diet vs. another. Or so I tell myself. ;-)

Yes. Basically, yes. Why does it have to be so complicated?? And I did read those articles and completely agree with this Katz fellow. "There’s obviously a lot of money to be made from confusion." << Yes.
  • Kimbot88
    take a daily multi-vitamin since diets can often leave gaps in nutrition

I take so many vitamins because of medical issues its not even funny. But thank you ;)