Im going to lose 20 pounds in 40 days!

Options

Replies

• SadDolt
    SadDolt Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    OP you either believe saddoolt or everyone else.
    The standard safe healthy rates of weight loss are 1-2lb a week,, which would put your traget between 6-12lbs. You may get a boost from the beginning by losing some water weight but that will tail out and often comes back. I think its too much but good luck with it. You talk about healthier and lifestyle change, but it doesnt sounds like it. You are going to have to create over a 1500 cal deficit a day. See how you get on though.

any weight comes back if you go back to poor eating habits....that's why you should lose weight with something you can stick to
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    SadDolt wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »
    you can deff lose 20lbs by then. try not to eat more than 50g of carbs, and no junk food :smile:

That would just reduce glyogen stores leading to water weight loss, not fat loss. Fat loss comes from a caloric deficit and 20 lb in 40 days should not be attempted, that is 0.5lbs/day, when she should be aiming for 1-1.5lbs/week.

water weight can make you look heavy. 20lbs is 20 pounds. 1 pound a week is ridiculous if you are obese. someone who is obese can lose 2-3 a week safely. stop giving advise

Yes water weight can make you look heavy, but I doubt OP has extra 20 lbs of just water weight. OP is 178 lbs, unless she is 5' tall 1-1.5 loss per week would be ideal in order to help retain lean body mass while losing fat. You may want to educate yourself "newbie"
    being that heavy at that height is considered obese. more proof you have no clue what you're talking about. and not all of teh 20lbs is going to be water. some of it will be fat and muscle. no matter what you do you lose muscle/water when losing weight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV7zgAqPubw this chick lost weight ''fast'' and still kept the weight off cause she did something that worked for her. also check out her recent videos

How do you know 178 makes OP obese? She didn't say her height, and if anyone does not know what they are talking about is the person looking back at you in the mirror.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    The standard safe healthy rates of weight loss are 1-2lb a week,, which would put your traget between 6-12lbs. You may get a boost from the beginning by losing some water weight but that will tail out and often comes back. I think its too much but good luck with it. You talk about healthier and lifestyle change, but it doesnt sounds like it. You are going to have to create over a 1500 cal deficit a day. See how you get on though.

any weight comes back if you go back to poor eating habits....that's why you should lose weight with something you can stick to

Your diet consists of popcorn chicken, bbq sauce and ice cream. Tell me again how you know what you're talking about.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

Your diet consists of popcorn chicken, bbq sauce and ice cream. Tell me again how you know what you're talking about.

Sounds like she eats some bangin' food.

@SadDolt - I support your food choices. 100%. You can do it!
  • 3bambi3
    edited September 2015
    Options

But she has no peeps. How can she have any ice cream if she doesn't eat her peeps?
  • Andreatts9
    Andreatts9 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think most people above have the best intentions. It's hard not to come across harsh and abrasive online sometimes. It can be hard to explain thoughts without writing a novel of a post! Whatever you choose to do I would recommend heavy resistance training so you preserve your muscle mass. Toning will make a HUGE impact on how you feel and look Hun. If you do drop that much weight that quick you might not look all that much better if a considerable amount is muscle. You could do a smaller caloric deficit with strength training, lose half that much weight and look better, firmer and happier. You don't want to be skinny fat. Just my thoughts. Feel free to add me as a friend if ya want and good luck on your journey. :)

I agree with this 100% You look a lot smaller when you're toned and may weigh more. I found this out when I started lifting heavier!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options

But she has no peeps. How can she have any ice cream if she doesn't eat her peeps?

what are peeps?
  • Therealobi1
    Options

all this support you are 100% giving, you are so supportive. Hope you are adding them all to your friends list.
  • Andreatts9
    Andreatts9 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    As a reminder, at 19, I lost weight a lot differently than I do at 30. There are a lot of factors to consider. And if there is one thing I learned when I started my journey 1.5 years ago is when it comes to fitness, everyone is an expert :p
  • tincanonastring
    Options

But she has no peeps. How can she eat her ice cream if she has no peeps?

Sadly, the The 10 Day Master Peep Cleanse(TM) is no more. It has been made abundantly clear that posts and subsequent discussion regarding the The 10 Day Master Peep Cleanse(TM) are a violation of the MFP Terms of Service. The founders of the The 10 Day Master Peep Cleanse(TM) appreciate your long-standing support, but no further details regarding the The 10 Day Master Peep Cleanse(TM) will be posted in the MFP forums. For further information, please buy my final book, The 10 Day Master Peep Cleanse(TM): No Peeps For You! The Rise And Fall Of A Satiric Response To Pervasive Pseudoscience.
  • Therealobi1
    Options

Sadly, the The 10 Day Master Peep Cleanse(TM) is no more. It has been made abundantly clear that posts and subsequent discussion regarding the The 10 Day Master Peep Cleanse(TM) are a violation of the MFP Terms of Service. The founders of the The 10 Day Master Peep Cleanse(TM) appreciate your long-standing support, but no further details regarding the The 10 Day Master Peep Cleanse(TM) will be posted in the MFP forums. For further information, please buy my final book, The 10 Day Master Peep Cleanse(TM): No Peeps For You! The Rise And Fall Of A Satiric Response To Pervasive Pseudoscience.

really trying not to laugh here, trying to be supportive.
    how much?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    At her current weight, losing a pound every other day is an unhealthy rate of loss that can only possibly happen through the loss of significant lean body mass. The OP stated "one other time in my life and was able to get it off quickly and keep it off" ... now if that were true, she wouldn't be looking to crash diet now. Unless your plan is to yo-yo diet for life, skip the quick fix, crash plans and learn how to manage your weight in a healthy manner.

sugom2 wrote: »
    Wow--just spent my lunch hour reading all the negative posts, rather than support to her for at least realizing she wanted to change and making the commitment. At least she set a goal! We all lose weight in our own way. At least she isn't having surgery to take care of it.

She set an unhealthy and unsafe goal. Encouraging her to chase it is not support, it is enabling destructive behaviors.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Meh. I'm going to wait for the movie. I hear Kevin Spacey is playing the lead.

• tincanonastring
    Options

all this support you are 100% giving, you are so supportive. Hope you are adding them all to your friends list.

We build people up here in MFP. We don't tear them down.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    The question isn't "can I lose 20lbs in 40 days?"

The question is "can I keep it off and for how long?"

Personally, yo-yo dieting sounds exhausting to me.
  • Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    Options

+1 for the Pink Floyd allusion!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    At her current weight, losing a pound every other day is an unhealthy rate of loss that can only possibly happen through the loss of significant lean body mass. The OP stated "one other time in my life and was able to get it off quickly and keep it off" ... now if that were true, she wouldn't be looking to crash diet now. Unless your plan is to yo-yo diet for life, skip the quick fix, crash plans and learn how to manage your weight in a healthy manner.

sugom2 wrote: »
    Wow--just spent my lunch hour reading all the negative posts, rather than support to her for at least realizing she wanted to change and making the commitment. At least she set a goal! We all lose weight in our own way. At least she isn't having surgery to take care of it.

She set an unhealthy and unsafe goal. Encouraging her to chase it is not support, it is enabling destructive behaviors.

Exactly!

When I was a teenager I frequently decided I was going to lose 10 lbs in a week or 20 in a month or whatever the latest fad diet promised. I was not overweight, and yet I thought I needed to change my body dramatically to be happy. I never once followed through with any of these plans--in part because they weren't reasonable or sustainable, and in part because I have a natural disinclination to self-starvation that is probably something that protected me as a teen and young adult when my self hatred and body image were terrible.

Looking back at it now, I wish I'd been encouraged to learn about how one improves one's body in a sustainable way, either through sensible weight loss or (ideally) strength training. As it was, I was lucky enough to be reasonably active and to enjoy running and biking, so I kept my weight in check that way.

It would NOT have helped me one bit to have people encouraging me to do a terrible unrealistic and unsafe weight loss plan of the type I was attracted to (since 1 month seemed like a long time at that age and I assumed any diet would be unpleasant, so might as well have more suffering for a short period -- even though this did not prove to be sustainable). I also genuinely did not understand that the way people got the kinds of bodies I wanted was stuff like sensible dieting and weight training. More people encouraging me (as women's mags and the culture in general did) that the answer was the kinds of things I was gravitating to--or insisting that my mere desire to lose weight was something to be applauded, would have added to the dysfunction of my relationship to food and my body.

It's so sad that the culture at MFP seems to say that any challenge to this kind of dysfunction and social attitudes, to the false "lose it in 6 weeks" promises of the diet industry are frowned upon. If you ask me, that's a real betrayal to the potential MFP has to actually help.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I'm 19, female, 5'4", and currently at 178 lbs, the heaviest I've ever been. I love myself, but hate the way I look right now. I plan on making a lifestyle change as of tomorrow morning. I will be eating healthier and exercising, and also taking slimquick. I tried Slimquick a few months back for a week and lost a total of 10 lbs, but got off track so now I'm starting over. I'd like to lose 20 pounds and tone up by this coming Halloween! I'd love to make some friends on here so we can both motivate eachother to get healthy!

Why not make a lifestyle change by setting your goals up to lose about a pound a week and eat real food? Slimquick won't work anyway unless you eat at a calorie deficit, so it seems to me it would be good to throw out the slimquick and just eat at a calorie deficit. :)
  • austinsneeze
    austinsneeze Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    You could do intermittent fasting or ADF to accomplish that.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/06/08/alternate-day-fasting.aspx
  • 3bambi3
    Options
    You could do intermittent fasting or ADF to accomplish that.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/06/08/alternate-day-fasting.aspx

ADF is just another way to create a calorie deficit. The real problem here is that OP has unrealistic weight loss goals.

And Mercola? Please.
This discussion has been closed.