Did I really burned 400 cal by walking 1hr?

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Kimegatron wrote: »
    "of running a mile in 9:30 versus walking the same mile in 19:00. "

Why would it take so long to walk a mile? Does it take anyone else that long to walk?

19 minutes is under 3mph and is actually close to average walking pace.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Oh... I learn something new every day :)

I get to a mile in about 9:30-11 depending on my foot pain. I just really like walking fast (at least it's fast for me).

I have always wondered about the splits with Fitbit... Is that how many minutes per mile you walk?
  • brianpperkins
    Oh... I learn something new every day :)

I get to a mile in about 9:30-11 depending on my foot pain. I just really like walking fast (at least it's fast for me).

I have always wondered about the splits with Fitbit... Is that how many minutes per mile you walk?

How are you calculating your distance walked? Sub ten minute miles walking would have put you in the top ten during the 2013 women's 10k USATF Race Walk Championships.
  • Kimegatron
    My pedometer, and I checked the pedometer in my car. I do have longer walks, but that is if I'm having bad foot pain. Sometimes a 4 mile walk will take my like an hour and 5 minutes. It depends on how my body feels
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    My pedometer, and I checked the pedometer in my car. I do have longer walks, but that is if I'm having bad foot pain. Sometimes a 4 mile walk will take my like an hour and 5 minutes. It depends on how my body feels

Umm, no. Use a device with a GPS. You aren't walking 9:30 - 11 min/miles.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I don't know how long it takes me to walk a mile, but I know I average 125 steps per minute walking at a decent pace.
    @Kimegatron have you counted roughly how many steps per minute you do. Would just like to compare, for all I know my "fast pace" is someone's slow pace. I'm 5"8
  • brianpperkins

A four mile walk in 1:05 is 16 minutes per mile.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member

Shhh. . .stop m-a-t-h-i-n-g. . .I was enjoying the 9:30 minutes and the 65 minutes to go 4 miles.. . . .
  • Kimegatron
    I said sometimes, depending on my body pain. My pedometer has a GPS. I mean, if it's not accurate, then the distance on my Fitbit isn't accurate, but I was saying that a 4 mile walk sometimes takes me an hour and five minutes on my slow days.
  • Kimegatron
    Hm, now I am second guessing my device... I am going to have to keep an eye on it for a few days to see any inconsistencies
  • brianpperkins
    Hm, now I am second guessing my device... I am going to have to keep an eye on it for a few days to see any inconsistencies

If you are walking a mile in under ten minutes, then you are Olympic ready ... at least for the 10k walk.
  • Kimegatron
    I wish! I cant walk 7 miles without my body feeling completely wrecked. I still try. I have chronic pain, which will hopefully get better. Watch me at the next olympics! I'll be the one getting dragged by paramedics, and crying HA
  • 4homer
    4homer Posts: 457 Member
    i agree with others, for me my hrm has me around 650 for an hour, which seems crazy high to me. so i just do half
  • 4homer

Why would it take so long to walk a mile? Does it take anyone else that long to walk?
    well this kinda stings lol. i walk between 16-18 min a mile. Yes i am being kinda sensitve about it but some of us pretty big and slow
  • Kimegatron
    4homer wrote: »

well this kinda stings lol. i walk between 16-18 min a mile. Yes i am being kinda sensitve about it but some of us pretty big and slow

Nah, my device is probably wrong, since everyone is so adamant it is. I DO walk really fast, like I will fly by you, but I am nowhere near an olympic anything, so I have some experimenting to do with my Fitbit. I am still learning, a LOT, so if I'm wrong, I'm wrong, or my device is, ha ha!
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Takes me about 1 hour 11 minutes, but up to 1 hour 17 minutes, to walk 4 miles. That means between 17.75 minutes/mile to 19.25 minutes/mile. It depends on my level of arthritis pain and how much interest my dogs take in things.

A 3 mph clip (20 minutes) isn't a slow walk by any means. In fact, the CDC defines a "brisk walk" as any pace of 20 minutes/mile or faster!

• 4homer
    4homer wrote: »

Nah, my device is probably wrong, since everyone is so adamant it is. I DO walk really fast, like I will fly by you, but I am nowhere near an olympic anything, so I have some experimenting to do with my Fitbit. I am still learning, a LOT, so if I'm wrong, I'm wrong, or my device is, ha ha!
    It's all good, like I said I was just being sensitive and that more on me. I apologize if my post came out wrong. This is a very tough week for me

• Kimegatron
    edited October 2015

So, I think that before, I was thinking of a short split. It was a while ago. I did, however, beat my best time tonight, determined to see how fast I could go. I definitely wheezed a bit, but I got 4.2 miles in 50 minutes. My average pace was 11'54". I did take a pain pill earlier, so I wasn't taking it easy, but I will feel this tomorrow. I looked at my other times, and I'm usually between 52-55 minutes. Would the fitbit+GPS be off by too much? Even if by a minute or half a mile, I'm still pretty proud :smiley:
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    edited October 2015

So, I think that before, I was thinking of a short split. It was a while ago. I did, however, beat my best time tonight, determined to see how fast I could go. I definitely wheezed a bit, but I got 4.2 miles in 50 minutes. My average pace was 11'54". I did take a pain pill earlier, so I wasn't taking it easy, but I will feel this tomorrow. I looked at my other times, and I'm usually between 52-55 minutes. Would the fitbit+GPS be off by too much? Even if by a minute or half a mile, I'm still pretty proud :smiley:

The fitbit exercise tracker on the phone app is dependent on your phone. There are quite a few times when ive noticed the phone app recording me being in one spot, then within 5 seconds I'm seeing my blip appear almost a mile away in another direction, then return back onto my original trajectory. I am more aware now of where that tends to happen and i try to avoid those areas on my walks/jogs

My suggestion: If you're eating your exercise calories and still losing your weight at an acceptable rate, then keep doing what you're doing, because you're obviously still in a deficit.
  • Kimegatron
    I walk the same route everyday, but sometimes walk a bit farther. Today was my normal 4.2 walk