Still haven't lost a dress size

13»

Replies

• Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited September 2015
    I was one of those girls who was a size 6-8 and didn't exercise. I wasn't naturally slim- but I lived a 'slim' lifestyle without being conscious of it. I never compared what and how much I ate with my friends. When I eventually did it was an eye opener. You can read about my eating preferences in my reply on 'why is weight loss effortless for some people' thread. It helped that I only had access to sweets in limited amounts growing up and we never had soda or similar drinks- not even Oj. I binged slighly as a young teen but always made up for it with restriction (stress reaction). So the message I'm trying to deliver is that you can't know how other girls maintain a lower weight. Don't compare yourself - just focus on one day at a time. Good luck.
  • fitnessqueen91
    fitnessqueen91 Posts: 166 Member
    The comments on here have been really helpful. It's true that no woman has it easy when shopping, unless you're supermodel thin. It's made me realise how awful the fashion industry is and how it mostly always makes clothes to flatter rail thin figures. I can't wear most stuff because it's super tight around my bust and lose around the waist or the material clings and shows off your flabby bits even in the right size. I hate those skin tight skirts and dresses only made to flatter thinner women. Some trousers also dont reach my hips like in H&M. It's like do designers not realise women have hips or aren't up and down?

Sorry for rant but someone said on here how the fashion industry makes women feel as though they should alter their bodies whilst men don't have that problem and clothes are made to fit them properly or they can get clothes tailored. Even if men are a size L or XL doesn't mean that they're overweight, but if a woman is like a UK size 14 and above people assume that she's chunky.

The fashion industry is insane. Clothes should be made to tailor women. If I were a designer I'd design clothes for different body shapes and for women with bust. Designers seem to think you can't be a size 12 and a DD. I'd make dresses and tops to accommodate bust for example size 12 DD, 12 C, 12 B etc as some trousers are made for people with longer legs.

Sorry again for rant but it's made me realise how unfair the fashion industry is.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Yep. Glad you're starting to realize that the problem is with them, not with you. Believe it or not, even "supermodel-thin" women have trouble shopping for clothes. Just ask them. I bet they'll all rant about some body part or issue that you never even considered.

Learn the brands, fabrics and styles that suit your body type, and opt for those. Don't buy the stuff that clings or gapes in the wrong places. Vote with your wallet. And make your tailor into your best friend. That's good advice for all women.

Or... learn to sew. Then you can design, make and alter clothing to fit you exactly.

But most importantly, don't put your health or your self-esteem in the hands of the evil fashion industry. Just don't. Set your weight loss and exercise goals based on being healthy and strong. And learn to be happy in your own skin. Remember that nobody can make you feel bad about yourself unless you let them.
  • Owlfan88
    Owlfan88 Posts: 187 Member
    I'm not overly tall at 5'7", but I have long arms and legs. I started my weight loss journey when my US size 14s were getting too tight. I've lost 25-30 pounds and had been shopping my closet for clothes I had grown out of. But I found only one pair of jeans in a 12 that still fit well. So I went shopping yesterday (not my favorite thing to do). I started off trying the 12s. Nope too big. Then the 10s also too big mostly (but also getting too short). I finally found one pair in an 8 (8! A size I haven't been since early high school when I weighed probably 10-15 pounds less than I do now). That was the only pair I could find that was long enough in the legs for me. And they fit almost exactly the same as the 12s I was wearing. I'm convinced there is vanity sizing going on - I used to think it was only the expensive brands that did this, but no, I was trying on Lee, Levi, and JCPenney store brands.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    It all depends on the designer/manufacturer and even the specific piece of clothing within that line. I am currently wearing 3 sizes of tops, depending on brand, style, etc. Try to be more realistic with your expectations and keep doing what you're doing. It isn't realistic to expect to lose 1 dress size per week. I do agree that a dress size is typically 10-15 pounds, depending on your build, clothing style, etc. You say you've seen some progress, so the rest will come before long.