Protein fluff where have you been all my life?

Options
12346»

Replies

• Lgard77
    Lgard77 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Wait wait what?! What is this delicious fluff you are talking about? What specifically do I need for this? I want to do this tonight! And what extra flavor of ingredients can I use?
  • Thowe92
    Thowe92 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Lgard77 wrote: »
    Wait wait what?! What is this delicious fluff you are talking about? What specifically do I need for this? I want to do this tonight! And what extra flavor of ingredients can I use?

Any flavoring ingredients can be used

Ingredients for basic fluff:

Whey/ Casein Protein

Xanthan Gum

Frozen/thawed mashed berries, bananas, fruit (optional)

Dairy milk or almond/cashew milk

Sweeten/spice to taste with whatever.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    I don't have any casein powder on hand, but tomorrow I'm going to try it with Almond milk, Body Fortress Chocolate Peanut Butter, Bob's Mill Xanthan Gum, Sugar Free Cheesecake Mix, & some Walden Farm's Caramel. I might add some of the Chocolate Caramel too.

If this works then the next time I make it I might try Great Value Cream soda as the liquid.

My creation didn't fluff well considering I didn't use casein, but it still tasted pretty decent.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    I made it with whey protein powder:

One scoop Cytosport whey protein powder
    1-1/4 cup frozen strawberries
    1/2 frozen banana
    1/4+ cup unsweetened almond milk

It took about 5 seconds to prepare using a Vitamix. It was like soft serve ice cream with the calories and protein of lite Greek yogurt.

Update: I tried this recipe again. I wanted to see if I could get more airy fluff instead of the soft serve ice cream fluff. I used 1-1/2 scoops of the whey protein powder this time and ran the Vitamix about 30 seconds longer. Double the fluff. That was it. I couldn't wait for more fluff. I ate it.
  • Thowe92
    Thowe92 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Any xanthan gum required or did the pectin present in the bananas take care of thickening it?
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Thowe92 wrote: »
    Any xanthan gum required or did the pectin present in the bananas take care of thickening it?

Xanthan gum is one ingredient in the almond milk.
  • TiAnnaHale
    TiAnnaHale Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Will a blender work?
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    TiAnnaHale wrote: »
    Will a blender work?

I tried in a blender, but it didn't work well for me. It came out more like a pudding - not all fluffed up like I get with a hand blender. It was also a lot harder to clean out than cleaning the blender paddles (which I confess I like to lick like a little kid).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I've been making this http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/cooking-with-dr-sara-protein-peanut-butter-fluff.html with the following tweaks. It's yummy, but not really fluffing. I wonder if berries help fluff it somehow so next time will try the berry recipe I tried last fall. I was using Tera's Whey then and Bio Chem Natural Whey now.

2jvdp28qkc15.jpg

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I've been making this http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/cooking-with-dr-sara-protein-peanut-butter-fluff.html with the following tweaks. It's yummy, but not really fluffing. I wonder if berries help fluff it somehow so next time will try the berry recipe I tried last fall. I was using Tera's Whey then and Bio Chem Natural Whey now.

2jvdp28qkc15.jpg

Most likely because of the whey. Also, do you add the peanut butter after you mix or before? The fat does not allow it to fluff well.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

2jvdp28qkc15.jpg

Most likely because of the whey. Also, do you add the peanut butter after you mix or before? The fat does not allow it to fluff well.

Good call on the peanut butter/fat. This fluffed:

h6ajosvx7jbi.jpg

Makes me curious why heavy cream whips.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

2jvdp28qkc15.jpg

Good call on the peanut butter/fat. This fluffed:

h6ajosvx7jbi.jpg

Makes me curious why heavy cream whips.

hm...me too actually
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Resurrecting this thread as I just made it for the first time last night. SOOO much fluff I ended up with an extra container full. Used my ninja blender, worked great just a pain in the *kitten* to clean. Anyone have some new tried and true recipes?