Processed foods

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    senecarr wrote: »
    OP Check out Food Babe.com Also, a GREAT place to start is Fooducate to learn about getting into foods as whole as possible, and healthier alternatives. Not everything that "fits" into your caloric requirements are the best options.

Does checking out Food Babe include checking out her article about water molecules that respond to unhappy thoughts, so please don't use a microwave?

Don't forget the one where she warned against the dangers of air in the back of an airplane because of the high prevalence of Nitrogen. ZOMG another scary chemical!

Lmao!
    Fear mongering drives me nuts! People love to over complicate things, like you see here in this thread .
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    OP Check out Food Babe.com Also, a GREAT place to start is Fooducate to learn about getting into foods as whole as possible, and healthier alternatives. Not everything that "fits" into your caloric requirements are the best options.

Does checking out Food Babe include checking out her article about water molecules that respond to unhappy thoughts, so please don't use a microwave?

Don't forget the one where she warned against the dangers of air in the back of an airplane because of the high prevalence of Nitrogen. ZOMG another scary chemical!

Lmao!
    Fear mongering drives me nuts! People love to over complicate things, like you see here in this thread .

I prefer Science Babe. I'm not a fan of finding single examples of something to make a wild claim then exploiting it to prove your point without reliable and reproducible scientific evidence...

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    The chemical compounds which make up a whole food is different than the lab made ingredients which make up a frozen pizza.
    Just a quick google search will tell me that a typical totinos pizza has a .5 gram of trans fat and 1 gram of fiber, whereas a banana has minuscule fats, 3.4 grams of fiber, and 1 gram of protein. Your latter statement is not accurate.

The protein, fat, and carbohydrates, in the cheese, meat and vegetables, and crust in that pizza... wow, watch out! Sounds like food to me.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited October 2015
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member

Lmao!

I prefer Science Babe. I'm not a fan of finding single examples of something to make a wild claim then exploiting it to prove your point without reliable and reproducible scientific evidence...

Science babe is legit.

Food babe should be avoided like the plague. She's a blatant fear mongerer getting paid quite well to promote nonsense. She does far more harm than good in my opinion.
  • SideSteel
    tcm2003 wrote: »
    Hi guys so my question is do any of yall eat frozen meals and what exactly do u feel about it? I ask cause I read they cause alot of weight gain but idk how to just give it up when I've been eating such things for years.for example the frozen pizza,etc

Hey,

Just throw this *kitten* out and eat right, don't even try and "fit it into your diet" just don't eat it ... it's no good.

What's no good? Why is it no good?

The frozen pizza is what I was referring to, not going to get into a IIFYM discussion it's my opinion your welcome to yours.

Regards

I'm also curious why you are suggesting that it's no good.

This has nothing to do with IIFYM. We can leave that out of the discussion entirely. Why are you claiming that frozen pizza is *kitten*?
  • BethAnnRichmond
    BethAnnRichmond Posts: 20 Member
    I have to agree with RaeBeeBaby. Processed foods and frozen meals (that are purchased from the store, not the home made kind!) are full of preservatives that are simply not good for you. Yes, the convenience factor is very appealing but the long-time results are not to me.

What has made it easier for me is a couple of crock pot meals that, once cooled, can be broken down into several meals that you can use throughout the week. Involve your children in some fun food prep as well. It will teach them that creating and eating healthy food can be fun. It will also serve as a great time being able to spend together.

What may take you about two hours in one day for meal prep will knock out many hours during the week. That, in turn, will allow you to do other things - spend time with your family, exercising, watching a funny movie together, whatever you choose.

Good luck!
  • queenliz99
    SideSteel wrote: »

Lmao!

Science babe is legit.

Food babe should be avoided like the plague. She's a blatant fear mongerer getting paid quite well to promote nonsense. She does far more harm than good in my opinion.

It is nice to see you posting more on the main boards again, sir.

+1
  • SideSteel
    edited October 2015
    So regarding the original post and some of the replies, which I'm not going to quote but I will give a few opinions on:

Just because a food is frozen does not automatically make it a bad choice for someone. There's a number of considerations you should make when it comes to food selection such as:

1) Calorie and nutrient (micro and macro) needs
    2) Providing satiety
    3) Taste/preference
    4) Allergens/Toxicity/Things to avoid
    5) Food availability (environment and convenience)
    6) Other (performance/etc)

If anyone is going to claim that Toxicity/Things to avoid are a reason to eliminate certain foods, you're going to need to present some evidence including dose.

Avoiding a pizza because of sodium is something I don't think is necessary if you don't have a medical reason to avoid sodium.

But eating less pizza or eating it very infrequently because of #1 and #2 on the above list is probably a good idea most of the time. It's very calorie dense, low in fiber, high in fat (which is not inherently bad but it makes it highly palatable), and it's damn delicious. So the likelihood that you can sit down and plow through 1500-3000 calories of pizza is pretty high.

But this isn't a reason to avoid/abstain from pizza altogether if it's something you enjoy.

I ate a pound of frozen green beans yesterday. These are (gasp) frozen and they're perfectly fine. They are nutrient dense, highly satiating, and they allowed me to eat a very large volume of food which further promoted fullness. So the seasoned cod fillets and massive pile of green beans allowed me to leave the table feeling stuffed on relatively low calories.

Finally, a big problem with internet debates (guilty of this myself, to be clear) is that people adopt an all or nothing stance on things much in the same way they view their diets.

There's a massive grey area between the endpoints. It's possible for people to eat "mostly" nutritious and minimally refined foods. It's possible to eat some cake once in a while among a diet that's otherwise nutrient dense and satiating.

It's possible that learning to adopt a flexible approach has benefits.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0195666398902045

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0195666384710324

Finally I'll add this: Food is not *kitten* as someone suggested. Food is food. There are environments/areas where people do not have enough food, so to call something *kitten* because it doesn't meet your ridiculous standards by which you can refer to something as "food" is a pretty privileged thing to say.

Don't want your processed food? Give it to someone who needs it.

• queenliz99
    edited October 2015
    So regarding the original post and some of the replies, which I'm not going to quote but I will give a few opinions on:

Just because a food is frozen does not automatically make it a bad choice for someone. There's a number of considerations you should make when it comes to food selection such as:

2) Providing satiety
    3) Taste/preference

If anyone is going to claim that Toxicity/Things to avoid are a reason to eliminate certain foods, you're going to need to present some evidence including dose.

Avoiding a pizza because of sodium is something I don't think is necessary if you don't have a medical reason to avoid sodium.

But eating less pizza or eating it very infrequently because of #1 and #2 on the above list is probably a good idea most of the time. It's very calorie dense, low in fiber, high in fat (which is not inherently bad but it makes it highly palatable), and it's damn delicious. So the likelihood that you can sit down and plow through 1500-3000 calories of pizza is pretty high.

But this isn't a reason to avoid/abstain from pizza altogether if it's something you enjoy.

I ate a pound of frozen green beans yesterday. These are (gasp) frozen and they're perfectly fine. They are nutrient dense, highly satiating, and they allowed me to eat a very large volume of food which further promoted fullness. So the seasoned cod fillets and massive pile of green beans allowed me to leave the table feeling stuffed on relatively low calories.

Finally, a big problem with internet debates (guilty of this myself, to be clear) is that people adopt an all or nothing stance on things much in the same way they view their diets.

There's a massive grey area between the endpoints. It's possible for people to eat "mostly" nutritious and minimally refined foods. It's possible to eat some cake once in a while among a diet that's otherwise nutrient dense and satiating.

Finally I'll add this: Food is not *kitten* as someone suggested. Food is food. There are environments/areas where people do not have enough food, so to call something *kitten* because it doesn't meet your ridiculous standards by which you can refer to something as "food" is a pretty privileged thing to say.

Wow!. End thread.
  • WinoGelato

2) Providing satiety
    3) Taste/preference

<drops mic>
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Eating more calories than you burn causes weight gain.

I eat Amy's frozen meals about once a week for lunch. And they're delicious! And I stay within my calorie goals so I lose/maintain.

I'm an Amy's lover too! Cheese Enchiladas and burritos are my fav. But I eat them at least 3 times per week. Easy, healthy and filling.
  • megginanderson
    megginanderson Posts: 276 Member
    Hi guys so my question is do any of yall eat frozen meals and what exactly do u feel about it? I ask cause I read they cause alot of weight gain but idk how to just give it up when I've been eating such things for years.for example the frozen pizza,etc

Eating frozen portioned meals will work for you in the beginning if your goal is to lose weight. If you truly want to be healthy and create a lifetime of healthy eating then you need to eat clean whole foods. Frozen meals are processed and not just loaded with sodium but all kinds of additives and fillers that will hinder your progress. If you read the label and you cant pronounce it or dont know what it means, dont put it into your body. the food with 1 or the least amount of ingredients is what you want in your body.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member

2) Providing satiety
    3) Taste/preference

I third the sentiment that it's great to see you on the main boards again.

And i agree with everything thing you said, but as an avid supporter of our local food bank, I really appreciate the last part.
  • WinoGelato

Eating frozen portioned meals will work for you in the beginning if your goal is to lose weight. If you truly want to be healthy and create a lifetime of healthy eating then you need to eat clean whole foods. Frozen meals are processed and not just loaded with sodium but all kinds of additives and fillers that will hinder your progress. If you read the label and you cant pronounce it or dont know what it means, dont put it into your body. the food with 1 or the least amount of ingredients is what you want in your body.

See banana image up thread...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

2) Providing satiety
    3) Taste/preference

ill cosign that ...
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member

2) Providing satiety
    3) Taste/preference

Annnnnd, we're done here. Well said.