pounds vs kilos - geek alert! Anyone switched units after using this forum?

13»

Replies

• charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    I work with scientists from the USA (I'm Australian) and if I ask them something science related they talk metric. ie the field area we are working in is "1.5km by 2km", something weighs "2.6kg" or moved at "15km/hr" but if I ask them how far it is to the next town its "about 4 miles".

When I comment on the mile thing they were like "Oh yeah you guys only do metric" like I was the freak when most of the rest of the world "does" metric officially.

I am a cross over, I think in metric but my parents mostly do imperial so I can convert...except for the stone thing, I just can't visualise that.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    segacs wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    See, and to me the miles and feet are intuitive. It's probably just because it's what we're used to. I like that feet are divided up into 12 inches and those are divided by 8. It makes the math fun instead of working all in tenths.

Don't you mean it makes the math needlessly confusing? Hehe.

You Americans always needing to be different... :)

map_of_countries_that_dont_.png

And yet, still the most awesome nation on the planet.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Distance, kind of. Up to 5K, I'm alright, over that, I'm doing math. Or maths. Why do you people pluralize math? Speak English! ;)

We don't pluralise, we just abbreviated Mathematics differently. Probably correctly.