Does the diet coke really has 0 calories?

124»

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    According to this app and many other sources, the coke diet has 0 calories. But some doctor told me that actually it has some calories and unhealthy sugar. Does anybody know anything about that?

I don't know about coke, but I happened to see this topic while drinking my diet 7up. It says on the can that it has 1.502 calories (6.3 kJ) , 0.053 g carbohydrates, zero protein and fat, and 12.989 mg sodium per 100 ml. I don't know how coke pans out in comparison, but I suspect it would be pretty close. So basically, it's not calorie-free but it's pretty low that it can safely be ignored if you only drink it occasionally. As for sugar, since sugar is a carb and it lists nearly no carbs I doubt that it would matter even if the carbs listed were sugar. The amount would be smaller than size of one grain of sugar, pretty much negligible. Licking your lips after drinking milk has more than that!

Regardless, sugar is not evil. Sweeteners are not evil either. It's all about dosage (how much you consume of it). In fact, with acute overconsumption the water in the coke is more likely to affect your health negatively than the sweetener. Like the old saying goes "Everything is poison, there is poison in everything. Only the dose makes a thing not a poison".
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    meulf6f wrote: »
    Good day. I'm sure you will be making your little jabs in the next thread I read.
    If there's someone making baseless assertions and falling back on "controversial," I will probably be pointing it out there, too.

There are far too many examples of people lobbing unsupportable ideas into threads and then getting all indignant when people ask them to support those ideas. I doubt people who cite a burning throat while drinking a carbonated beverage are going to change their minds, but there is some evidence that other readers might.

Your opinion. And as I said in the beginning, whatever the OP does gets a good luck from me.

Reality is not an opinion.
  • meulf6f
    meulf6f Posts: 32 Member
    Good day. I'm sure you will be making your little jabs in the next thread I read.
    If there's someone making baseless assertions and falling back on "controversial," I will probably be pointing it out there, too.

There are far too many examples of people lobbing unsupportable ideas into threads and then getting all indignant when people ask them to support those ideas. I doubt people who cite a burning throat while drinking a carbonated beverage are going to change their minds, but there is some evidence that other readers might.

Your opinion. And as I said in the beginning, whatever the OP does gets a good luck from me.

Please cite your reference.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member

Please cite your reference.

The literally thousands of studies saying aspartame is harmless?
  • Aani15
    Aani15 Posts: 172 Member
    If anyone, I mean anyone, has gone through 'research' as their subject in school, even at a basic level, will understand there is a lot of bias in publishing of articles by the publishers. It is often done for financial gains. So to say that a study was published (irrespective of peer reviewed, cohort, RCT etc.) makes it relevant, is just ignorance.

There is a process called 'critical appraisal' which establishes the difference between good studies from garbage.
    To this date, bias exists and useless studies also get published. Just because a study is peer reviewed does not mean it is of gold standard (perfect). And yes it is always a bonus to back up claims with evidence.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    People will argue about this (last time, one of them was wearing a coke logo'd t-shirt, presumably an employee of company), but
    -I've read of studies saying that people who drink diet coke eat more calories (I don' remember what % more) and tend to gain more weight. There are a lot of opinions on why that happens, some people say the sweetness from the fake sugar makes you crave more food so you eat more.
    -What's wrong with water? Have it ice cold (over ice even) and filtered, evenually i promise you once you break the addiction to sweet drinks you'll find water served properly tastes better.
    -Nothing wrong with an occasional coke, heck yesterday i had a small (8oz) coke slurpee.
    -rob

That's quite the leap. I own a diet Coke t-shirt. I don't work for the company. (I wish I did, free product!)

Diet soda is probably 99% water, so nope, nothing wrong with water.

The bottom line is if it has an adverse effect on on you personally, don't drink it. For the rest of the population, it's safe to drink.

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    mutatedpie wrote: »
    So people are usually floored by this, but I can easily (and usually do) drink almost 2 liters a day of Diet Coke. I have for years. I have successfully lost close to 25 of my 40lbs I need to lose, all while drinking that much soda. The worst I have ever heard, aside from all the aspartame stuff, is that it may lead to more kidney stones. I've been drinking it for about 20 years, and have never had any problems. So not sure about that one. As far as craving sugar, I actually dislike and do not eat overly sugary food. So my personal experience doesn't align with the supposed studies. Obviously that doesn't mean that that they are false, but I think those aspects are more of a personal characteristic.

Bottom line is, if it had more than a couple of calories, I'd be in trouble. Haha. I think Diet sodas will always be controversial because honestly.. a lot of even your peer reviewed studies have the possibility of being funded by corporations that benefit from one side or the other (Coke already got in trouble for this one last year). So the key here is everything in moderation (aka, not my 2 liters a day ahah).

Yeah, I drink about two liters of diet soda myself. I actually make my own - I use a SodaStream to carbonate it, I buy flavoring concentrate intended for Sno-Cones, and I add my own artificial sweeteners to make the syrup (I use Ace-K and Sucralose, which combined have a decent taste and little/no aftertaste like aspartame). Right now I am enjoying a delicious boysenberry soda.

I do like sweet foods, but I actually can't drink sugary sodas anymore, they just taste wrong.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    I drink a bunch of Diet Coke I find it helps me fight cravings and fills me up. I weigh 98 lbs so I'm definitely not fat and if it doesn't have zero calories it's definitely very few because the amount I drink would probably start causing issues. Its not great for your teeth so I either drink through a straw and I avoid sipping it so the acidity level in my mouth can go back to normal quicker. I always have good dental check ups but it's literally the only thing that keeps me from drinking more of the stuff lol.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,161 Member
    OP, aspartame is controversial at best. Cancer causing/non-cancer causing... there are studies to support any argument. I was able to remove them from my diet and felt the difference. Good luck to you which ever way you go.

A hot take, now a decade later looking prescient. Nice job @meulf6f
  • Ciaran_Skysong
    Ciaran_Skysong Posts: 3 Member
    According to this app and many other sources, the coke diet has 0 calories. But some doctor told me that actually it has some calories and unhealthy sugar. Does anybody know anything about that?

There are 4 calories in 1 gram of protein, 4 calories in 1 gram of carbs and 9 calories in 1 gram of fat. Find the nutritional values of whatever it is you're trying to gauge calories on and math accordingly. Hope this helps!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    edited July 2023
    Chris-in cal - ^^ you have bumped up an 8 year old thread to say that???

and . no, he wasnt really - nothing much has changed since thread was first posted.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Chris-in cal - ^^ you have bumped up an 8 year old thread to say that???

and . no, he wasnt really - nothing much has changed since thread was first posted.

Yep. Same arguments, different decade.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,221 Member
    yes 0

If you're gonna drink soda, 0 calories is the best choice.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    Zombie thread revived. But a great topic to discuss. I drink Gatorade Zero and Diet Pepsi along with Reign Cherry Lemonade at work daily.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,872 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Zombie thread revived. But a great topic to discuss. I drink Gatorade Zero and Diet Pepsi along with Reign Cherry Lemonade at work daily.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I mix my own sodium/potassium/magnesium electrolyte formula, water, and the odd diet pepsi.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    edited July 2023
    oolou wrote: »
    -I've read of studies saying that people who drink diet coke eat more calories (I don' remember what % more) and tend to gain more weight. There are a lot of opinions on why that happens, some people say the sweetness from the fake sugar makes you crave more food so you eat more.

I used to order a big mac and fries, or a four-cheeses pizza, and then say ... ohhh, diet coke please ... Not because the diet coke made me want the pizza, but because I was trying to be slightly (and ironically) virtuous while stuffing my face.

This may be where the 'overweight people and diet sodas' statistics comes from! :)

Because of course once you've decided on an 800+ calorie meal, it would be silly not to to add another 200 or so calories. I don't see the irony. Why not make a rule that if you have a big mac and fries, you must order an extra large milk shake and a couple of fried apple pies to go with it? Because it's ironic not to.

ETA: Just saw this is a zombie thread. But I'm leaving my comment, since it's already got a half-dozen new comments.