• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I look ft

Are you trying to tell us you look fit? lol. Back looks good.

@arditarose No dumb autocorrect. I meant to say I lift! Lol

bahaha now it's quoted and on the internet forever.

I still don't understand why my computer won't let me type "glute" without autocorrecting to "flute" every single time. I really type the word GLUTE a lot.

Best person to ask is The Singing GLUTE lady!

that is a WHOLE other topic of discussion....

broccoli makes me the singing glute lady to though
    #nojudgements

Not judging. #sameissue

#singingglutesforlife

#datveggain
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    AlisonH729 wrote: »
    So, I had wanted to run a bulk, but my BF% really wasn't as low as is recommended. But my holiday eating just never really ended after Thanksgiving, so I've been eating over maintenance (some days more than others) and lifting heavy (for me) 3 days a week, for about 3 months. I've gained maybe 5 lbs? Our scale also bit the big one sometime around Thanksgiving so I figured if I was going to gain, gain while I couldn't look at my weight daily. We got a new one but I'm not sure where exactly I started.

Anyway, I'd like to tighten my diet back up, since it's that time o' year. And we have a 5k in May so I'd like to incorporate some more cardio into my routine in preparation.

I do upper body once a week (Wed) and since it's a pretty basic push-pull routine it doesn't take that long, about 30 min, and I usually try to do a little cardio after. I do legs twice a week (Mon & Fri) and that takes longer, about an hour.

I don't know how to (or even if I should) take the workout I do twice a week, and just run it once broken up over two days (followed by cardio).

Right now its:
    Squats
    Lunges
    Leg presses on the sled (sometimes I skip these if I'm short on time)
    Leg curls
    Cable kickbacks (second on the chopping block if I'm in a hurry)
    Stiff-leg deads
    Hip Thrusts

Any thoughts?

First, do you actually literally do this same workout twice per week? Same sets/reps/etc?

Second, are you trying to decrease the amount of days you lift? Sorry I got confused.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I look ft

I still don't understand why my computer won't let me type "glute" without autocorrecting to "flute" every single time. I really type the word GLUTE a lot.

#nojudgements

Not judging. #sameissue

#singingglutesforlife

#datveggain

It's gotten so bad I think I need to change my diet up a bit. Or take some Beano.

• JoRocka
    Options
    I look ft

#nojudgements

Not judging. #sameissue

#singingglutesforlife

#datveggain

It's gotten so bad I think I need to change my diet up a bit. Or take some Beano.

I can't eat broccoli on date night- given we are long distance- I just eat them when I'm alone- when he's here I skip them but- yeah I'll fart myself out of my own room.

Same for salsa- no idea why salsa does it to me but god I'm rank. it's terrible. But I love them both SO much- I refuse to give them up.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I look ft

#nojudgements

Not judging. #sameissue

#singingglutesforlife

#datveggain

I can't eat broccoli on date night- given we are long distance- I just eat them when I'm alone- when he's here I skip them but- yeah I'll fart myself out of my own room.

Same for salsa- no idea why salsa does it to me but god I'm rank. it's terrible. But I love them both SO much- I refuse to give them up.

I recently overdid it with broccoli so I don't have it anymore but I'm still struggling. I've been using quite a bit of protein powder lately and my fiber count is always through the roof. Definitely uncomfortable on date night.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Oh, while I'm here.....Anyone want to talk deload? I have been going hard for months and months without one. Now I'm not feeling well and have exactly one month left of my bulk so I think it'd be a perfect time to do it. Firstly I struggle with it because of my ego, and second I'm like...what to do? Just go in and lift 50% of my max on compound lifts for the same reps/sets I typically do (though that changes weekly for me)...and what about assistance work? I just feel so dumb rowing like 20lb DB's or bicep curling 10lbs.

What do you guys do?
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options

First, do you actually literally do this same workout twice per week? Same sets/reps/etc?
    Um, usually. Crap is that bad? I try to add in extra sets if the gym isn't busy and I have time. I've been focusing on consistently increasing weight.

Second, are you trying to decrease the amount of days you lift? Sorry I got confused.
    Not the days, just the volume I guess. I'd still lift 3 days a week. But I want to incorporate more cardio- a) so I can run that 5k and not look like a chump & b) because I've gotten squishy and oversized sweater season is almost over, but I can't regularly fit much cardio in on this schedule.

So I don't know if I should split the equivalent of one leg workout over two days. Or keep one leg day, and devote a full 'day' to cardio.
    And since I wouldn't call what I've been doing now a bulk, I don't really consider this a cut, but I'd be back in a slight deficit.

PS: Onions. It's onions for me. Room clearing.
  • arditarose
    Options
    AlisonH729 wrote: »

Um, usually. Crap is that bad? I try to add in extra sets if the gym isn't busy and I have time. I've been focusing on consistently increasing weight.

Not the days, just the volume I guess. I'd still lift 3 days a week. But I want to incorporate more cardio- a) so I can run that 5k and not look like a chump & b) because I've gotten squishy and oversized sweater season is almost over, but I can't regularly fit much cardio in on this schedule.

So I don't know if I should split the equivalent of one leg workout over two days. Or keep one leg day, and devote a full 'day' to cardio.
    And since I wouldn't call what I've been doing now a bulk, I don't really consider this a cut, but I'd be back in a slight deficit.

PS: Onions. It's onions for me. Room clearing.

Maybe not bad, but probably not optimal. I'd personally at least vary it to have a power day and a hypertrophy day. Anyway...Why don't you run full body 3x per week instead? If you're going to cut now you'll definitely want to keep a bit of volume anyway to save the gains.
  • savoringharam
    savoringharam Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am getting back to lifting after an ankle injury :( , add me if you like! :#
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Assuming there are any gains. Debatable. But I guess we'll see.

We have a set of Bowflex adjustable dumbbells (and some other equipment) at home that I was using before I joined the gym. They were fine for arms but I got fed up because I couldn't really do lower body the way I wanted with them. (I couldn't lift enough, and you can only do so many goblet & split leg squats...) So that's when I joined the gym. I guess I felt like I was playing a little bit of catch up, hence the 2 days of legs to one day of arms. But now that I have, a full body is probably the way to go.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Oh, while I'm here.....Anyone want to talk deload? I have been going hard for months and months without one. Now I'm not feeling well and have exactly one month left of my bulk so I think it'd be a perfect time to do it. Firstly I struggle with it because of my ego, and second I'm like...what to do? Just go in and lift 50% of my max on compound lifts for the same reps/sets I typically do (though that changes weekly for me)...and what about assistance work? I just feel so dumb rowing like 20lb DB's or bicep curling 10lbs.

What do you guys do?

I don't really deload- I tell myself I do- but I don't. LOL_ for obvious reason.

What I really do is I run a full program- then I start over with Sheiko Beginner 2- I specifically like it because it's got more variety and more flexibility with weight. and it allows me to kind of "start" over and reset- so I do that 2 times a year usually.

I personally like switching at that point to something TOTALLY different- that way I don't feel like a complete pansy *kitten* for dropping all that weight down. LOL
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Britt_Hos wrote: »
    I'm 21 5'3 and recently lost A LOT of weight putting me at 103 pounds

Before losing weight I was 121 lbs and lived a sedentary life
    I have noy2kxzu8bzrt4.jpeg
    I have no clue where to even start/ what program to use
    I want to gain muscle EVERYWHERE.
    I've started 2 medicines that surpress my appetite and have been very sedentary for the pass 3 years due to severe depression but recently gotten help and am able to manage a workout regime

I would love your advice on exercises
    I have back problems due to having such a long torso, which also makes my fat distribute on my thighs which I don't really mind I've just NEVER been able to turn it into muscle

Any advice would be helpful
    But particularly what did you go through when you were starting from ground zero? I've been active my ENTIRE life but these past 3 years I've lost it all and saying that I've never had to re-start working out before. I've always just been In shape and continued over to different sports and regimes without a problem
    No I'm very out of shape and don't know even how to restart

What are your back issues like? Are you going to be able to barbell squat, deadlift, over head press, row?

Where are you with calories/have you been tracking?
    so I put the text in bold print to ask,do you mean that you cant turn what fat you have into muscle? if that is what you meant,you cannot turn fat into muscle it doesnt work that way,you can build muscle underneath the fat but you wont see it until you lose the fat covering it.

que?

she said:"I have back problems due to having such a long torso, which also makes my fat distribute on my thighs which I don't really mind I've just NEVER been able to turn it into muscle" which is why I asked if she meant that she was trying to turn the fat into muscle.
    454262032 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Me
  • arditarose
    Options

What do you guys do?

I don't really deload- I tell myself I do- but I don't. LOL_ for obvious reason.

What I really do is I run a full program- then I start over with Sheiko Beginner 2- I specifically like it because it's got more variety and more flexibility with weight. and it allows me to kind of "start" over and reset- so I do that 2 times a year usually.

I personally like switching at that point to something TOTALLY different- that way I don't feel like a complete pansy *kitten* for dropping all that weight down. LOL

Yeah. I never do either. I've done it like...once. Ever. I decided to go through with it. Mentally it feels horrible lol. But I'm sick this week and feel weak anyway. I think it's...ok? My poor gains.
  • JoRocka
    Options

What do you guys do?

Yeah. I never do either. I've done it like...once. Ever. I decided to go through with it. Mentally it feels horrible lol. But I'm sick this week and feel weak anyway. I think it's...ok? My poor gains.

heh- well good luck- it's useful- I try to focus a LOT on technique- and I tend to do more reps- makes me feel like my time isnt' wasted.
  • skittlebitz
    skittlebitz Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I really don't want to start my cut only 2 months into bulking but I feel uncomfortable :P only 5-7lbs up but I feel a hell of a lot more squishy than I should! I know I haven't gained that MUCH but I'm still stuck wearing leggings 24/7 cause jeans just don't fit :neutral:
  • arditarose
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I really don't want to start my cut only 2 months into bulking but I feel uncomfortable :P only 5-7lbs up but I feel a hell of a lot more squishy than I should! I know I haven't gained that MUCH but I'm still stuck wearing leggings 24/7 cause jeans just don't fit :neutral:

Don't quit yet. I felt bad two months in as well. Let me tell you, I was more squishy and crappy looking at two months in, than I was 3-4 months in. Fat gains started evening out, and I could actually start to see where the muscle gain was happening...as opposed to feeling like a water-logged blimp.

I'm having a hard time wanting to stick out my last month but man I think it will be worth it. You can friend me if you feel like checking on and need support. I have a few other women on my friends list bulking as well and we stay updated on my feed a bit.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I look ft

#nojudgements

Not judging. #sameissue

#singingglutesforlife

#datveggain

Love you guys! I have Crohn's so my glutes sing a lot ;)

*eta- my autocorrect changed glutes to flutes ;)
  • BoaRestrictor
    BoaRestrictor Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Anyone else here have no gym access? I've gained all my muscle through high rep with dumbbells on my bedroom floor. Currently throwing 30lbs dumbbells around. I am now able to squat with two 30lbs dumbbells 50 times with extreme ease compared to last month. Feels good. Saving up for 40lbs dumbbells right now but I want my reps on the 30's to be higher before I purchase and start implementing them into my routine. :)
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    H4N4H wrote: »
    Anyone else here have no gym access? I've gained all my muscle through high rep with dumbbells on my bedroom floor. Currently throwing 30lbs dumbbells around. I am now able to squat with two 30lbs dumbbells 50 times with extreme ease compared to last month. Feels good. Saving up for 40lbs dumbbells right now but I want my reps on the 30's to be higher before I purchase and start implementing them into my routine. :)

If you can do 50 reps with the 30's with ease then you are more than ready for 40's.