Britt_Hos wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    I'm 21 5'3 and recently lost A LOT of weight putting me at 103 pounds

Before losing weight I was 121 lbs and lived a sedentary life
    I have noy2kxzu8bzrt4.jpeg
    I have no clue where to even start/ what program to use
    I want to gain muscle EVERYWHERE.
    I've started 2 medicines that surpress my appetite and have been very sedentary for the pass 3 years due to severe depression but recently gotten help and am able to manage a workout regime

I would love your advice on exercises
    I have back problems due to having such a long torso, which also makes my fat distribute on my thighs which I don't really mind I've just NEVER been able to turn it into muscle

Any advice would be helpful
    But particularly what did you go through when you were starting from ground zero? I've been active my ENTIRE life but these past 3 years I've lost it all and saying that I've never had to re-start working out before. I've always just been In shape and continued over to different sports and regimes without a problem
    No I'm very out of shape and don't know even how to restart

What are your back issues like? Are you going to be able to barbell squat, deadlift, over head press, row?

Where are you with calories/have you been tracking?

I've started 2 medicines that surpress my appetite and have been very sedentary for the pass 3 years due to severe depression but recently gotten help and am able to manage a workout regime

I have back problems due to having such a long torso, which also makes my fat distribute on my thighs which I don't really mind I've just NEVER been able to turn it into muscle

But particularly what did you go through when you were starting from ground zero? I've been active my ENTIRE life but these past 3 years I've lost it all and saying that I've never had to re-start working out before. I've always just been In shape and continued over to different sports and regimes without a problem

What are your back issues like? Are you going to be able to barbell squat, deadlift, over head press, row?

I have a lot of pressure on my lower back at all times every right now laying down. It gets strained easily and is hard to have good posture much less good form as it feels tight all the time
    My roommate told me that doing exercises that target lower back strengthening would help but from the ones I've tried they're painful

Mfp says to do 1750 calories. It just changed me calories today when I updated my weight idk what it was previously at. That's going 250 calories over what my body 'needs' to gain .5lbs a week. I don't know if that's right for me that's just what mfp gave me

I track and have been going under by a lot but am trying to stay consistent and ( I hate the term) force feeding myself to get atleast NEAR the calorie goals
    I was only hitting 400 but am now hitting 1300~1500

I think you need to get your eating in check while researching what you can do in regards to your back. Food wise-choose calorie dense foods: full fat dairy, meat, nuts, nut butter, cook with oil.

Have you tried foam rolling your lower back? What about body weight routines?
  • Britt_Hos
    Britt_Hos Posts: 10 Member
    Options

I have a lot of pressure on my lower back at all times every right now laying down. It gets strained easily and is hard to have good posture much less good form as it feels tight all the time
    My roommate told me that doing exercises that target lower back strengthening would help but from the ones I've tried they're painful

Mfp says to do 1750 calories. It just changed me calories today when I updated my weight idk what it was previously at. That's going 250 calories over what my body 'needs' to gain .5lbs a week. I don't know if that's right for me that's just what mfp gave me

I track and have been going under by a lot but am trying to stay consistent and ( I hate the term) force feeding myself to get atleast NEAR the calorie goals
    I was only hitting 400 but am now hitting 1300~1500

I think you need to get your eating in check while researching what you can do in regards to your back. Food wise-choose calorie dense foods: full fat dairy, meat, nuts, nut butter, cook with oil.

Have you tried foam rolling your lower back? What about body weight routines?

The medication has slowly tapered off the EXTREME appetite loss that I was having and my appetite is coming back a bit so getting the calories I need is not that big of a concern. The weightloss has stopped and I seem to be staying at this weight for the past week since in able to handle food more. I'm not too concerned about eating the calories needed.

Food wise I have some restrictions I've had a hard time moving past. I have a dairy allergy, negative nut reaction, and my body can't process certain meats due to previously being a vegetarian for a few years. I went grocery shopping with a few tips from a nutritionist and what I've read online so I'm struggling less with getting the calories I need, although protein is hard.

I've done yoga and foam rolling and have a pressure point massager. In all honesty I haven't tried a lot of free weights or exercising in general lately so I don't know what my back can and can't tolerate. It's just sore and weak most of the time but that might be increased from not using it at all being so sedentary.
    Do you know any exercises to BUILD lower back muscle rather than avoiding it?
    I appreciate your help
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Im trying to gain muscle too. Struggling at the moment because I honestly don't know how to go about it. Please add me and message me if you have any advice!

are you on a lifting program?
    if so which one?
    And for how long?

do you know what your maintenance calories are?
    is this an established number?
    if you are eating in a surplus how much of a surplus?
    for how long?

and how long have you been trying to do this?

I haven't really been doing anything. I got some weights for christmas and have been googling workouts to do with those and thats about it.. only used them twice because im just so lost as to what to do :(

so you have at home stuff? no access to a gym?
    I'm assuming all you have are dumbbells?
  • BoaRestrictor
    BoaRestrictor Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Im trying to gain muscle too. Struggling at the moment because I honestly don't know how to go about it. Please add me and message me if you have any advice!

if so which one?
    And for how long?

for how long?

I haven't really been doing anything. I got some weights for christmas and have been googling workouts to do with those and thats about it.. only used them twice because im just so lost as to what to do :(

Hey there! I have gained all my muscle via in home workout and dumbbells. What do they weigh? Do you have a set or just one? Feel free to add me also.
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I am building muscle, cutting fat, leaning out and lifting heavy! :)
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Just getting fat. :cookie:

But really I have been upping weight pretty consistently and after only being back in the gym a couple of months I am squatting my body weight, so I'm pretty pleased about that.
  • mollybethtaylor
    mollybethtaylor Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    H4N4H wrote: »

if so which one?
    And for how long?

for how long?

Hey there! I have gained all my muscle via in home workout and dumbbells. What do they weigh? Do you have a set or just one? Feel free to add me also.

I have a set :) i use the 2kg ones at the moment. Ive sent you a request :)
  • sceleratis
    sceleratis Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I've been recomping for about 10 months now. Hit below my targeted goal weight this month, and am now working on putting on muscle after coming in at 20% BF. Looking for like minded ladies in a similar situation. Please add me!
  • BoaRestrictor
    BoaRestrictor Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    lol. This was bumped as I'm eating a pint of froyo to myself on Saturday night. Bout to get into some popcorn too. Hope everyone is well!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I lift
  • arditarose
    Options
    I look ft

Are you trying to tell us you look fit? lol. Back looks good.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I look ft

@arditarose No dumb autocorrect. I meant to say I lift! Lol
  • arditarose
    Options
    I look ft

bahaha now it's quoted and on the internet forever.

I still don't understand why my computer won't let me type "glute" without autocorrecting to "flute" every single time. I really type the word GLUTE a lot.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

so I put the text in bold print to ask,do you mean that you cant turn what fat you have into muscle? if that is what you meant,you cannot turn fat into muscle it doesnt work that way,you can build muscle underneath the fat but you wont see it until you lose the fat covering it.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I look ft

I still don't understand why my computer won't let me type "glute" without autocorrecting to "flute" every single time. I really type the word GLUTE a lot.

Best person to ask is The Singing GLUTE lady!
  • arditarose
    Options

so I put the text in bold print to ask,do you mean that you cant turn what fat you have into muscle? if that is what you meant,you cannot turn fat into muscle it doesnt work that way,you can build muscle underneath the fat but you wont see it until you lose the fat covering it.

que?
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    So, I had wanted to run a bulk, but my BF% really wasn't as low as is recommended. But my holiday eating just never really ended after Thanksgiving, so I've been eating over maintenance (some days more than others) and lifting heavy (for me) 3 days a week, for about 3 months. I've gained maybe 5 lbs? Our scale also bit the big one sometime around Thanksgiving so I figured if I was going to gain, gain while I couldn't look at my weight daily. We got a new one but I'm not sure where exactly I started.

Anyway, I'd like to tighten my diet back up, since it's that time o' year. And we have a 5k in May so I'd like to incorporate some more cardio into my routine in preparation.

I do upper body once a week (Wed) and since it's a pretty basic push-pull routine it doesn't take that long, about 30 min, and I usually try to do a little cardio after. I do legs twice a week (Mon & Fri) and that takes longer, about an hour.

I don't know how to (or even if I should) take the workout I do twice a week, and just run it once broken up over two days (followed by cardio).

Right now its:
    Squats
    Lunges
    Leg presses on the sled (sometimes I skip these if I'm short on time)
    Leg curls
    Cable kickbacks (second on the chopping block if I'm in a hurry)
    Stiff-leg deads
    Hip Thrusts

Any thoughts?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I look ft

that is a WHOLE other topic of discussion....

broccoli makes me the singing glute lady to though
    #nojudgements
  • arditarose
    Options
    I look ft

that is a WHOLE other topic of discussion....

broccoli makes me the singing glute lady to though
    #nojudgements

Not judging. #sameissue