Any Bike riders??? What do you ride lookin to buy new bike

2»

Replies

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    This isn't about brand vs brand. Or lbs vs kmart.

If we haven't provided the information you seek, maybe you should rephrase the question?
  • mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    I ride a Cannondale Trail 7 29er. It was not ultra expensive (about $500) but felt way expensive to my budget. I love the 29er (I'm almost 6'4") as it fits my taller frame well. I've ridden over 1000 miles on it so far. I try to ride several times a week. I mostly do paved or hard packed trails. I have done Mountain Bike trails twice and had a blast but those trails are a ways away so it's not something I can do frequently.

I started riding last summer and don't see myself ever wanting to stop. Each ride is like an adventure, and I love having an exercise that is actually fun!
  • tcaley4
    tcaley4 Posts: 416 Member
    While I agree with everything said about buying a bike from a lbs, for some people the low end bike shop bike might still be too expensive. The cheaper box store big might be what it takes for someone to be able to get started in this great hobby of ours. It would get them started, they are off of the couch and out doing something, and burning calories. If they find out that they really like it after a year or so, and have a better idea of what they want a bike to do, then I say go to the bike shop and look at upgrading. I wouldn't want someone to not be able to ride, just because that we said that they couldn't ride anything that didn't come from a bike shop. Lost cost bikes are a viable option for some people is all I'm saying.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    I have an Electra Cruiser 1. It is a low cost, basic town cruiser. They list at $275.00 but I got mine used in excellent shape for $80.00 and love it. Definitely not a long distance or BMX-type bike!
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    I had a Trek 800 mountain bike, probably about 20 years old, when I started mountain biking seriously when I lost weight a few years ago. I biked with a group, and was always lagging behind. It was a good bike for its time (no suspension at all, even front), and I thought it was me and my level of fitness that kept me WAY behind the rest of the group (like they'd wait for me for 5 minutes to catch up; time it--that's a long time). It got to where I was almost too embarrassed to go with this group, and I wasn't enjoying the riding itself. But I then picked up a new Giant 29er, and--literally--the next group ride, I was keeping up with the middle of the pack without a problem. leaving some of the people who were way ahead of me the prior ride behind. I have used that bike for three years and hundreds of miles, and I am in love with mountain biking.

Point being that yes, the best bike is one that you'll ride. And perhaps starting out, you may not be able to afford, or want to invest in, a better bike. That's fine. But knowing the level of bike you get, just be aware that if you are NOT enjoying the ride, it may not necessarily mean that "biking isn't for me;" it may mean that a better bike might make the difference. Personally, I think the overall weight of the bike is a more important factor than just about anything. A heavy bike means you're working harder; a lighter bike makes your ride much more enjoyable (IMHO).

Our local bike store offers daily bike rentals, and the money you spend on the rental gets put towards a bike if you buy from them (so you rent a bike for $50 for a day, you'll get $50 off any bike you buy). Maybe your LBS will let you rent a bike or two to try some out to allow you to figure out the best bike, within your price range, for you.
  • FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    Rode some trek and fuji bikes.. hybrids man they are a blast and much easier to roll then my current ride
    Rode 36 miles total 3 rides this week. Time to upgrade
  • FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    Test rode at some bike shops.. I mean
  • 0BrienMB
    0BrienMB Posts: 3 Member
    Bianchi road bike (circa 1999). Love it. Also have a specialized Hard Rock mtn bike, which I ride much less. Mostly for short hops.
  • davidf1t
    davidf1t Posts: 42 Member
    Motobekane road bike c1997 and a Saracen hardtail MTB 2012 - love them both and ride whenever I can.