WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2015

Replies

• dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Through to pg 45.

Barbie - I need to remember "Strategy is stronger than will power" Thinking about strategies now.

DJ - Grieve all you need. We understand.

Miriam- I hope your foot is better soon.

Carol - Congratulations on the rain ..... of men. Choose wisely.

Joyce - I think those lip balms are called EOS

Went to an amateur production of the Nutcracker. I enjoyed it especially because DGD enjoyed it so much. "Ooh, this Makes me so very happy." DD was a little underwhelmed but then she attended the Moscow Ballet's production last year. We went for fancy dinner at Moxies before hand and we all dressed up.
    Yesterday, Dh and I , DS and DBIL went to check out my cousin's new condo. She just moved to Lethbridge. The condo is very well laid out and the art on the wall reminded me how talented she is.
    Tomorrow is the Christmas Tree Festival so looking forward to that.

Still having a hard time staying awake. Took the sleep test on Fri. night and returning machine tomorrow. I wonder how long it will take to analyze.

-Sharon in Lethbridge.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Kim, I hate to disappoint you, since I am disappointed, but I don't think I will be able to order the fit bit online. Walmart sent me an email about the Thursday deals and said that there would be a line and wristbands would be handed out and that not everyone in the line would be able to get one at that price. So I am assuming it will not be offered on line at all. I will probably buy her one anyway. She really needs to lose weight and has a lot of sleep problems and I think it would help her. She works as Cintas uniform cleaning place and walks and walks. My other daughter needs one also but she has to realize she needs help before I put out the cost for her.

As far as a woman getting on a roof, I don't think it is a female/male thing. Now granted this was a long time ago but my Dad had a shed in his back yard that we always hoped a big wind would come and take it down so they could get insurance coverage. But it didn't so I was the only volunteer he had to help him. Maybe because it was the fact that I was a nurse and he had open heart surgery a year before and I didn't like the idea of him up on the roof alone. Neither did Mom. But Dad was a little weird. We were going to take all of it to the dump anyway so I don't know why he felt like he had to do it the way he did. We had to carefully take it down piece by piece from the roof on down. Now this shed wasn't as tall as a house but I was up on that roof for a long time taking each piece of roofing off one by one, then the underlayment. Then we got to the actual roofing and walls and finally the floor. And we had to go up and down the ladder many times so we could organize what we took off so it could go to the dump in a nice organized fashion. Don't know how many pair of industrial gloves I ruined that day. Or haw many cars honked at me from the freeway that was behind their house. But I had a wonderful time with my Dad up on that roof and after he died, I treasured those memories even more.

Allison, what are we going to do with you? You know we have our arms all wrapped around you. I'm sure some have their arms wrapped around Tom's throat also. But does he realize that that boom box was used for his own father?

And then there is Sylvia with her son. He is taking his thing really hard. Does he see a therapist to help him go through this awful disease? Do you see one? Apparently you and your husband are the love and support for the kids so you need support also so you can help them. There is so much that kids don't say. They make think it is their fault, or don't know how to express their feelings so they just suppress them. I am so glad know at this particular time you have that paperwork that you can get them some help.

Have fun Katla!!!!!

Heather, you don't know how glad I am to see that that Star crazy thing is not made or eaten. That is just gross. For those of you who don't know about it, it is just a lovely looking pie crust, and then at even intervals there are these fish heads with entire bodies that are sticking out and there is something that looks like seaweed coming out of their mouths. Just awful. Especially when they have that lovely pie crust.

This evening was our church's annual Thanksgiving dinner. They provide the ham and turkey along with tea and coffee and then everyone else brings in pot luck. And the preacher last week pleaded that not everyone bring deviled eggs. I guess one year there were 25 dishes of deviled eggs! I think I ate fairly well. I had a small piece of turkey breast, no ham, green beans that did have some ham in them, bypassed all the potato dishes including the sweet potato, had a teeny bit of crock pot mac n cheese, nice serving of brocolli casserole, then got a tiny brownie and cherry dump cake. I brought some of the cherry dump cake to Charlie and he started eating it out of the bowl. So I couldn't have any then. And he said he didn't like it enough to finish it. So tomorrow when we find out if the culture from his colon bacteria is negative, then I know I can finish the dump cake. If it is positive still, the dump cake gets dumped even further. I know I shouldn't have any of it but it is so good and there wasn't much that I brought home. But it was very good to have that fellowship with my church family. We were all given an opportunity to say anything we were thankful for. Of course I thanked them for all their prayers and help with Charlie in the hospital. And my deacon even had to unclog a very stopped up commode at my house. That is caring for your church family.

Pip, your house looks lovely and Kirby looks like he sure wants to get in on the action. I hope he was surprised. And the weather looks gorgeous there. a perfect day

Joyce, indiana
  • CMDO34
    CMDO34 Posts: 34 Member
    Not sure
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    morning all~
    Miriam~ I feel so bad that you have been stuck in the hospital.. who took care of the girls while you were there?
    everyone traveling for the holidays~ please be safe and enjoy your time with family and friends.
    I think me going bat *kitten* crazy made me feel alot better.. and don't you worry if he needs a new cd player I will make sure Tom buys him one...
    I am only working 3 days this week, so my hours are changed 9-5 today,9-6 tomorrow and 8-1 on weds. will be cooking and visiting DFIL on thursday and then off to the Cape.
    Both my friends are in nursing homes and not at the same one.. I could stay at there house,but think I will feel better staying at a motel.... the motel has an indoor pool, so will try and do an hour of water jogging while there..
    I have not done any formal exersise in I dont know when, and havent been paying attention to what I eat.. the stress has been horrible...
    But I will savor this weekend, and visit with each of them... It is supposed to rain all day saterday would have liked to walk on the beach but,might do that either friday or sunrise on sunday. then will bring myself home..
    Pip~ how wonderful to have a houseful of people making merry.. Kirby looks thrilled
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,189 Member
    edited November 2015
    Pip - Love the Christmas lights party! He must be very loved by all! <3

DJ - to clarify. They are called mince pies over here. The filling is called mincemeat. If you asked for minced meat you would get ground beef! :laugh: In the very old days it probably did contain meat, but the only remnant of that now is the suet. A lot of people use vegetarian suet.

Busy today. I couldn't get to sleep worrying about everything that has to get done before the trip. Got to choose lights for the kitchen. Hate choosing things. :( Got a voucher for our local store so want a light sweater for the trip.
    I mentioned to DH that we had to pack up the kitchen this week, but he didn't feel the urgency. Packing always gives me backache, so I don't want to have to do it in a rush. I will end up a cripple!

Our Christmas wines arrived today. :D

I think we won't be able to take the Christmas presents up to London on Wednesday. I'm worried about security at the left luggage at the museum. Might try to give them a ring or look it up on line. I can post them. DH isn't bothered, but I like people to have their presents on Christmas Day. Not weeks after. Can't see the point in that. :*

Miriam - that really was some experience! Poor you.

Barbie - I am thinking of you. You are a great example of patience and resilience.

Lots of love to all. Heather UK

Update - my back has decided to protest in anticipation. :sad:
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Good morn,all.Is everyone about ready for the holday?

SylviaJMO..but the Grkids will eventually realize how sad & miserable their Dad was....but did the best he could.Loving his family .....but so rough to get through,knowing what is coming.How wonderful he has stepped up for his children. Know they will love him for that.The kids are so lucky to have you ! Can only do your best,one day at a time .....you have & do.

Miriam...Your injury sounds so painful.Hope you are soon better.

Pip Isn't that what Christmas is about,being being a blessing? You have your DH home & friends come over to help.They did a great job....the house looks beautiful. Love the front porch. We lost our front porch when we moved -3 yrs ago.Still miss it.Loved reading,just being out there watching the world go by.

DJ Looked at purses last wk ....as usual took ages to find one I liked.Color was wrong,plus store price was $12 more.So glad I had done my on line shopping. Came home,ordered it,right color,right price ,free shipping (Vets Day)&in my hands 3 days later.

Barbie hope the Dr will have good news for you.

Last Tuesday,noticed a pinhole in my upper partial plate.Got in to see local dentist...(4 blocks). He said it needed
    re ligned.So has been nearly impossible to eat. Nothing warm,nothing needing chewed.Which means,no meat,no salad,veggies,fruit,toast,cereal,eggs.So living on carbs....potatoes,oatmeal,pudding,ice cream & not much else. Still keeping track,but missing my nutrients for sure.Dentist hopes to have the partial ready this wk.I hope more than he does :D

Have read up to here.Can't Remember S--t .....for someone asking.

Was in shower at 5:15 this morn,but thats ok....slept 8 hrs.
    Time to get the day started.Need to get dressed....in case the dental office calls.Want to make/freeze cookie dough for DH.Rolls of dough are handy,just slice a few at a time. Baking is a fav......but of course,not much baking anymore. :'( Will make an apple pie.One slice for me & he will finish it off.

Have a good,healthy day. Pat

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Miriam - I was going to ask you if you had 'cat scratch fever' something that can happen if scratched or bitten (even by a healthy cat). Sorry you had to be hospitalized. Hope you are much better.

Sylvia - sorry about the 'drama'. Maybe the children will be understanding of their Dad's condition; they've had a rough time of it, for sure. You'll just have to make sure they are stable when they're with you.

DamitJanit - I have suffered from C.R.S. ever since I was "Lithium Toxic" (probably 10 or more years ago). I almost died from it mainly because my MD did not really recognize it for what it was. He had allowed me to drive to the hospital, had written to do the test immediately and to call him with the results. I don't remember getting back home, or even 'if' we had already moved out here or not (I have huge chunks out of my memory that I don't remember at all. I don't remember my DDnL#1's first or second pregnancy (other than I remember being at the hospital with the 1st and in the delivery room with the 2nd. Don't remember much in between their births (5 years apart). Do not remember my DOS and/or DDnL#1 bringing my ODGS to our house; but, I am sure they did at some point. I know what you mean about 'new' friends and never watching the same show twice. I could watch reruns of Blue Bloods almost daily.

One thing I remember, vividly, was when she was 12 (everybody thought that a change of custody could have been done then, thought the law had changed); and her mother finding out she was spending the day with me and demanded that I bring her home. I had to stop the car when I got out to get the mail and tell her to 'stop crying or else her mother would punish her for doing so and make it difficult for me (especially) to have her stay with me'. She stopped but, her eyes showed that she had been crying. This was on a weekend that my son had her, too. Mean-@$$-ed witch from Hell and DOGD asked when she could come live with her Daddy and I told her it would be when she was 14. She 'howled' ... "I don't think I can live that long." I told her that she could make it a long time or make it a short time; the school could always tell when she was with her Mother and when she was with her Daddy and his wife; but, they never reported the situation to DFACS. Maybe 'if' they had we could have gotten custody a lot sooner. But, now she has been her for over 5 years and she is a dear sweetie pie. DFACS got involved and took her other 2 away from her and put them with their biological parent(s) or paternal grandmother (of one). But, after my near fatal auto collision in 1998, I C.R.S. - sad and I am sure that I did and said things to my DDnL#1 that made her feel that I wasn't happy that my son married her; and, maybe I did. Just don't remember anything except for their marriage 16+ years ago. I doubt that our DnL/MnL relationship will ever be what my DnL/MnL relationship was. I 'loved' my DMnL; and, she was the one who came and helped to with my 'babies'. The 2nd time we lived only 25 miles away from my own Mother - but, she never offered to come help me.

jnkmomm - my DFnL was a hoarder and we had to clean out the crapola he had saved for years. I wish that my DMnL could have spent time enjoying it; but, SD took her to live with her and sold the house (twice, if you can believe that) while she was in an A.L.F. that she had put her in.

Beth - glad to hear you did not get on the roof; hope y'all don't have a heavy snow storm this year so that maybe in the Spring you can get it repaired or replaced. Check your homeowner's insurance, if you have it; we got 2 roofs (2 different homes) replaced with very little cost to us; both from 'hail damage'. I was really happy when the 2nd one was replaced because we then changed it from an ugly brown to a gray/black one. Oh, what a difference it made to the brick that was on the house. Made it look like a different house altogether. Our present house has a 'metal roof' on it (actually a tin roof), not the metal ones that a lot of people have which is thicker; but, it is still a life-time guarantee.

PIP - do you think your friends would come help me 'undecorate' my house AFTER Christmas? I don't mind putting it up, just hate taking it down. Louis has painted a house where they have a closet under the stairs; where they keep their decorated tree under/in it. LOL! Our neighbors left theirs up until sometime during the summer and lit it up in the front window.

Cracker got a new bed this weekend after the first one, less than a month ago, fell completely apart when I washed it. I had batting everywhere in my machine and thought I could restuff it; but, the material had been split and no way to repair it. I went ahead and got a very good one and she loves it. It's a little bigger so she does not feel cramped when she gets her 'babies' out to play. Also got her a 'new' toy that makes it easier for her to hold. It's a star fish; but, her favorite is probably her 'duck' with a close 2nd being the gorilla that the shelter sent home with her.

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    B)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,902 Member
    :) All this talk of mince pies and mince meat reminds me of the story line in the movie "State Fair" where the mom is making mincemeat to enter into the fair and several people add brandy to the recipe without the others knowing it, and the judge at the fair gets seriously drunk while tasting it and gives her a special award.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    :)
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,331 Member
    Did 15 minutes of abs yoga today, held my plank for 2 min 45 sec (I just can't seem to increase the time!), then the extremepump class

The guy who is supposed to do some landscaping for us is coming today. In a sense, I hope he doesn't put down grass seed because I suspect it's too late to do that. Why Vince wanted to wait is beyond me. We had the entire backyard seeded and fertilized a few years ago, then he overwatered it and most of the grassseed was killed off. and what stayed he didn't reseed. Now the backyard looks like c*** and he seems to be lingering getting it done. I'd like to get it all done. It may be a lot of work at first, but in the end it'll be worth it. But what do I know? He grew up in a house, I had an apartment so there was someone who took care of the grass so he (supposedly) knows more about lawn maintenance than I do (yea, right).

Kim - CRS = Can't Remember S***. You'll get so much out of volunteering, wouldn't surprise me if you do it again next year

Jessica just told us that we're going to a friend's house when we get to VA, so looks like I'll also be making a pumpkin cheesecake to take. I'm so sorry about your fitbit

Mary - the other batch of brownies to me are too cake-like and I didn't think it had as intense a chocolate flavor as it should have. I'll just donate it to the soup kitchen. There's really nothing wrong with it, just not what I expected. So far I've tried two recipes from this one site, and both times it was a disaster. I don't think I'll make anything else from them. I don't have any recipe for a jello.

Lenora - you're right, I never thought about the "undecorating" part of it.

Michele in NC
  • Peach1948
    Miriam, how awful your experience has been with the cat bite. I hope you continue to get better. It's a bad time of the year to be unable to walk. Hope your girls have taken this in stride.

Kim, so glad to hear you are going to have a pleasant TG with your mom and volunteering.

Pip, you and Kirby are blessed to have so many taking time to help and celebrate his homecoming.

I tried to insert a Facebook video of my 4 yr old GD singing her turkey song but it didn't work. Anyhow, she was so cute.

Going to do some laundry and clean up the kitchen. Bought a frozen turkey yesterday and am trying to get it unfrozen by Thursday. BIL sent us a pecan pie from the Collin's Street Bakery in Texas so that should be good. DIL is going to make the strawberry pretzel salad, Yeah.

• DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Miriam, I hate that you got the infection but even more that you were in such severe pain. I hope you heal quickly.

Sharon, so glad your DGD enjoyed the Nutcracker. Isn’t it great that we can get so much enjoyment from the pleasure of others?

Joyce, my objections to getting on a roof is not a gender thing but an age thing. Then I realize that most of the ladies in here are not as old as I am. I don’t feel 68 so I even forget my own age but I know I need to stay off the roof. My ladder climbing these days consists of putting up the Christmas lights and that’s only about 10 or 12 feet up. Your church dinner sounds great. I suggest dumping the cake even before you get the test results. *Just trying to help you*.

Allison, glad you felt better after you had your release. smiley-laughing015.gif I hope you have a fabulous time at the Cape!! Remember that we are all with you. ((((Hugs))))

Heather, so sorry your back is giving you problems. I sure hope it straightens out soon. At least packing up the kitchen is not for a move and just to empty the kitchen. That will take a little less attention. I like to have Christmas presents to everyone by Christmas, also. I hope everything works out.

Pat, what a bummer on your dental problem. I hope it’s ready for you before Thanksgiving!

Barbie, I had forgotten that part of the movie but I loved State Fair back in the day.

MicheleNC, sometimes our DHs do the strangest things, like with the yard work. They act like they know more about it but the truth is they are just guessing and hoping. LOL We had the most beautiful yard the first few years we lived here but the past 2 or 3 it has gone to hell in a handbasket. The back got taken over by weeds and in getting rid of them, killed much of the grass. DH seeded with rye for the winter and will start again in the spring. Ppffttt

CarolGA, what is in the strawberry pretzel salad? That sounds interesting.

Today is a trip to Costco and I think we are going to join Sam’s. We normally join one or the other because I don’t really buy much there due to the quantities. But I have a coupon where it will only cost $25 to join Sam’s and just think it would be fun to belong to both for a year. Like I need to do more shopping. happyno.gif

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day and week. I know I have so much to be thankful for. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • tiffaniedemayo
    tiffaniedemayo Posts: 38 Member
    Good morning ladies, my name is Tiffanie, and i turned 50 in September. I'm about 30-35 pounds overweight, and not very tech-savvy. I am wondering if anyone uses a product like a Fitbit. I have been using a pedometer, but a step on a flat floor, is unlike a step up stairs with a basket of laundry, or carrying a 40 pound bag of pellets into the house. I have read many positive reviews about different products like the Fitbit, but there are also many negative comments also. I'm looking at a product similar to Fitbit, made by Craig Co., and was wondering if anyone like me has used one, and what they think. Thanks, Tiff
  • Peach1948
    DJ, I'm 67 and don't feel my age either (except when my knees and lower back are yelling at me). Pretzel salad is a buttery crushed pretzel crust topped with a mixture of cream cheese & Kool whip and finally, layered with strawberry jello that has sliced strawberries in it. You can Google the recipe.

Welcome Tiffanie.

Do any of you have a Garmin fitness tracker. BJ's has a coupon for $49 for one. It probably wouldn't do me any good because I know I won't get in a lot of steps.

Here is my GD. Lucky little 4 yr old got to go to a Spa birthday party.

5ly4hwjo6dky.jpg
  • bjkidfun
    bjkidfun Posts: 377 Member
    :)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,189 Member
    Done our shopping!
    I got two light sweaters, one darkish blue and one off white, a long sleeved petrol blue t shirt and a long sleeved thermal vest. 20% off. :) I think the white one will be great in the evening in Montpellier.
    With that purchase I had a £5 voucher for food, so we went and bought food and I forgot to use the voucher. :* Nothing daunted I went to information and waited while they refunded the whole thing, rang up all the items again and used my voucher at last. Needless to say, DH was not amused. :laugh: But there again, he didn't remind me. :ohwell:

Then off to buy ceiling lights for the kitchen. Found some that will "do". Not expensive and the bulb included. They are flush with the ceiling so won't be too noticeable. Hope the painter and electrician can work it all out between them. Ceiling might need patching. :*

Now relaxing with a cup of tea. :D

Lots of love, Heather UK
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Good morning!!! I'm at the studio and have the phone attached to the computer so I can get online with my real computer. It's so nice not to be squinting at the phone! And now I can attach Photos, so brace yourself...here come the outhouse pictures.

This one had a modern feature not found in real outhouses. A urinal. I like the mirror and the sign that says objects in the mirror are smaller than they appear. (The thing it shows in this mirror is ME!
    4x3at3vgldyz.jpg

This one is a Winnie the Pooh themed Pooh house. I told you they were silly.
    270hufoewsck.jpg

Here is a Minion outhouse.
    8r0e5tu9zkaf.jpg

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    This one was my favorite. It featured a live chicken nesting on the "throne".
    xlc6jfqtad5q.jpg

Here is one decorated with a shotgun wedding theme.

d80x1i6dikcr.jpg
    uhtmzfrh05qr.jpg

And a few signs inside outhouses showing the bathroom humor.
    ktjrr48jht0e.jpg

jnxe54par2bf.jpg

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Relaxing in the quiet of being alone in the motor home, well I do have my fur babies. Sent Jack off early to his Mom's while DBiL is in surgery. It gave me time to pick up, vacuum , etc. My DH tends to strew things about and I'm a bit of a neat freak. I wanted time to read everyone's post before a long hot shower. We will have Thanksgiving dinner with his Mom and brother.

When we get home I need to start preparing for Christmas. I will have nine house guests for four nights and around 20 for Christmas dinner. They will all head home Sunday after Christmas and I will have to cook and have motor home packed and ready to leave for Arizona on Tuesday morning after Christmas. Not sure how all that is going to happen. Maybe will cook and freeze food for AZ trip before hand. We will be there all of January.

Counting my blessings this week, two beautiful daughters and six terrific grandkids ranging in age from 22 to 8. Second oldest will turn 20 on Wednesday and just bought herself a brand new Subaru. Also thankful for the most amazing husband ever. Happy Thanksgiving to you all with much love and appreciation.

Janetr OKC