WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2015

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    morning ladies~
    well Tom says he feels better, not great but better..
    working 8-1 today..then home to get stuff done here, told DFIL yesterday that I wouldnt be there until thursday..
    he was in an ornery mood yesterday..wanted his car and wanted to go home.. they did on my suggestion start him on the kennedy cup, it is just like an adult tippy cup that hold a straw. he has been known to throw hot coffee and we dont want anyone getting burned....
    I have a banger of a headache.. so will take some tylenol in a bit..
    everyone traveling today ,please be safe and stay alert..
    Like someone else said , you dont have to be thankful just of thanskgiving~ I am blessed and thankful for each and every one of you... every day love you all .<3
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    edited November 2015
    Wow I'm almost caught up! Couple of things I wanted to comment on -

I read a great article about a 16yr old who invented a sock with a sensor for dementia patients who wander. The sensor links to a watch or some other electronic device so the caregiver can sleep but get an alert as soon as the patient/loved one sets one foot on the ground. Google Kenneth Shinozuka if you would like to see his inspiring story. I could not find a way to write to him or I would to give him accolades for his unselfish desire to help others.

Becca the last 2 years I have purchased awesome bathing suits from Walmart for 419.99 or $29.99. They have the strap across the back up high which I love. I also saw them on Walmart.com

Hugs to everyone whether you need them or not! 1085830jgawgkmbmb.gif

Boys are going to their mom's and her relatives for Thanksgiving. I am going to my DD#2. My DD#1 is going elsewhere this year so there will only be 4 of us. Small gathering for our family so it will be without any drama! I will get to spend time with my DGS who has not had the grandma attention he would have had if I were not raising the other two.

Off to bed - Have to get the boys stuff together in the morning, pick them up from school, then have a 90 mile drive to make tomorrow. 431349ozr8o1vxdv.gif
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Rori, wishing well thoughts for your DH.

Gloria, hoping the interview goes splendidly. I know how you must feel having been out of the work force for 4 yrs. I am retired 7 yrs now and can't remember anything.

Got most of the cleaning done and will make cornbread for the dressing today and cut up celery and onions. DH got a Honey Baked Ham yesterday and was really disappointed in the ones they showed him. I reminded him we could have gotten a much cheaper one at Costco and they are always good.

Carol - Peach
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Good morning everyone. Thank you for all the well wishes for my mom.

Welcome to all the new people. ((((hugs)))) to all.

Happy Thanksgiving to all my American Friends

Everyone else.... have a great day. I am off to the hospital to take over for DSIL, she said mom has been doing good. Hemoglobin is a bit low but the doctors don't seem to be concerned. DSIL said today she will insist she be given some iron and folic acid.

Pip - I would love to share mom's morphine with you, but she will need a little bit this morning when physio comes so that she is not in pain when they attempt to get her to sit up.

Heather in UK - if you are off to London .... so is our new Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau. He is going to see the Queen while he is there.

Take care and I will try and keep in touch

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Happy Wednesday ! ! !

Pip – Good food and friendship in the manner you both agree, especially simple this year, is a great plan. Enjoy it all ! ! !

Michele – Pumpkin Beer Bread? Could I make that with coconut flour? Where might I find the recipe please?

DrKatiebug – I’m sure your DGS will enjoy his turkey, and it will look amazing. I hope he has fun with that ! ! !

Glo – congratulations ! ! ! Breathe deep and calm. You can do this, too ! // Enjoy spoiling the other grandchild ! ! !

Rori – Hugs and Prayers ! ! !

Katla – those kinds of friendships are rare and treasured. Safe travels ! ! !

Joyce
    – Yay for the test results. It will make you so much more relaxed this weekend. Congrats ! ! !

Today at work is a typical “before holiday” busy, plus the full moon makes many border on crazy (not really of course, but personalities do change a little). The phone has been quiet, so I can do some of my paperwork, so that will be nice. I arrived at work early (DS doesn’t have school) so I rode the bike for 20 minutes. We don’t take lunch breaks, so it is my only official exercise. I also did 10 push-ups on the kitchen counter while my oatmeal was in the microwave. I’m rocking it lately. No white carbs in ages, so my joint pain is manageable, which I REALLY like.

I’d like to say I’ve been doing a lot of housecleaning, but my co-workers asked me to make a Thank You gift for someone who makes us all kinds of pies and such, so I was up until 10:30 last night getting it 100% finished. I will post a picture later, because I think it turned out pretty good. Plus, DS has a few missing assignments, so his video games are at work with DH and he will be assigned numerous chores to do throughout the day. I should only have the kitchen counters to worry about for tomorrow.

Hugs for Everyone ! ! ! And a safe and happy weekend. o:)

Terri in Milwaukee
  • terri_mom
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Pretty Terri! Did you do the rose decals with your new embroidery machine?
  • terri_mom
    Peach - Thanks. No, I bought the towels several years ago on clearance, then just cut one up to sew onto the potholder. I still haven't mastered letters on my new machine yet, but hopefully I will have more time to play this weekend, and get some more thread at the Black Friday sales. But the lady dropped of the pie while I was away from my desk, so it will have to wait until the day she picks up her pie pan.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,903 Member
    tificreole wrote: »
    I am Frances from Sydney Australia... I am back on MFP after a long break... I am baby stepping into fitness and controlling what I eat... My goal for Nov/Dec is to do Yoga 2 times a week and walk the dog at least 4 times a week and do some strength training at least 2 times a week.

welcome.gif Frances,we are glad you are here. I walk my dogs every day and am grateful that they encourage me to get fit...I also do strength training....I hope you'll come back every day and become part of our friendly community.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washingtont113004.gif
  • bjkidfun
    bjkidfun Posts: 377 Member
    :)
  • barbiecat
    g10006.gif Rori, sending hugs and warm thoughts for you and your DH and his follow-up appointment today.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,101 Member
    Good morning ladies! It will be extremely busy for the whole weekend and will only be able to read and check in! Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! I am very thankful to all of you for the motivation and support that you give to me and everyone on here!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Terri - very pretty. I'm sure she will enjoy the thank you gift.

Janetr OKC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,504 Member
    morning peeps and welcome new peep-c's from Tacoma Washington (Seattle's foster sister)

gloworminwa - hope your interview goes great
    lilymay2 - bummer, well, at least i still have my percoset
    purdy kitchen do-dads terri_mom

well, Monday I start riding the bike again. today will be my last day driving. I park the beast (car) at the Tacoma dome parking area and take the sounder (train) from there. this morning when I was walking to work with my backback, I brought a plant that my co-workers bought for Kirby's homecoming (had it delivered to the house). well..... Kirby and I DON'T have a thumb, if I leave it there, it dies, soooooo, I am bringing it to work so it can live here. I was walking and crossing the tracks and I tripped, I was like, "HOLY CRAP, DON'T FALL!!!! YOU JUST GOT THIS SHOULDER FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" thank goodness, I didn't fall but scared the ba-gee-bees out of me!!!!!!!!

type to ya later.
  • janetr7476
    We will have Thanksgiving dinner with Mama S and DBiL tomorrow. I was a little disappointed to find out there will ham, not turkey. LOL. Oh well if I have 20+ for Christmas I will most likely do a turkey and a ham.

Happy, happy Thanksgiving to all. Much love and appreciation.

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    morning peeps and welcome new peep-c's from Tacoma Washington (Seattle's foster sister)

gloworminwa - hope your interview goes great
    lilymay2 - bummer, well, at least i still have my percoset
    purdy kitchen do-dads terri_mom

well, Monday I start riding the bike again. today will be my last day driving. I park the beast (car) at the Tacoma dome parking area and take the sounder (train) from there. this morning when I was walking to work with my backback, I brought a plant that my co-workers bought for Kirby's homecoming (had it delivered to the house). well..... Kirby and I DON'T have a thumb, if I leave it there, it dies, soooooo, I am bringing it to work so it can live here. I was walking and crossing the tracks and I tripped, I was like, "HOLY CRAP, DON'T FALL!!!! YOU JUST GOT THIS SHOULDER FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" thank goodness, I didn't fall but scared the ba-gee-bees out of me!!!!!!!!

type to ya later.

OH Pip so glad you didn't fall. Have a terrific Thanksgiving.

Janetr
  • barbiecat
    edited November 2015
    :) We are having "tofurky" with wild rice stuffing for Thanksgiving because we don't eat meat. On Friday I've been invited to have lunch at a friend's house. She told me that she was sure that there would be something I could eat including a veggie quiche that she was making that was crustless for a gluten intolerant guest with "just a little bit of pork" in it. It reminded me of this great video I saw on YouTube and had to share it with you.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=TX9EAavxrus
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Kim, congrats on starting your FitBit fund. I understand about your concern for your nephew’s trip. Hopefully all will go well.

DrKatie, thanks for your recipe on your dressing. That is close to what I do. I send (((Hugs))) and best wishes for your issues and hope you come back more often.

Sharon, sending get well wishes for you. Sorry you had to miss the festival but better to work on your health. ill.gif

Joyce, I don’t think you are evil if you take out a small portion of your salad for BIL. I think it shows you care. smurf.gif Glad to hear the diaper works but hope he won’t have to text it often.

Allison, you make lots of people happy and your DFIL is so lucky to have you in his life.

Gloria, sending prayers and healing thoughts for the whole family.

Elaine in Lansing, when I first started this journey, I looked at the food database and researched the calories in all the foods that I like. The ones that were very high in calories, I decided to no longer eat. The ones that were very low, I chose to eat more often. I like veggies and always have lots of low calorie veggies with each meal. I do love my protein but have chicken more often than anything else because of calories and price. Good luck.

Kimses, sounds like you are planning to succeed. Way to go.

Mary, that is a long drive for your shots. Is there nowhere closer? Enjoy your company.

Lillian, prayers and good thoughts for you and your mom.(later) Glad she is going good.

CarolNC, not that you asked, but, I think for Thanksgiving you should do what you want to do. Most of us have spent a big part of our lives accommodating others and I don’t feel guilty at all about doing what makes me happy. Just have a good one, whatever you decide to do.

Janetr, sorry to hear about your DGS. Glad DBIL had successful skin graph. I hope you have good weather for your drive, also.

Pip, so glad things are progressing with Kirby and that you haven’t been frozen out of your house. I hope your running doesn’t have you in pain later. (((Hugs))) to you both.

Heather, I just hate it when I make a mistake like the check, but it happens to the best of us. Congrats on finalizing the wills. It is hard to think about losing my hubby after 47 years. I guess the best would be if we both went at the same time? We certainly can’t deny that the end will come at some time. At least these days people are living longer so I hope we are both around for a good long time to come.

Terri, is your DH checking his blood sugar? When I was diagnosed I never even got the kit to check mine and my doctor never recommended it. I’ll be honest, I didn’t really change my diet and simply controlled it with the Metformin. I probably could have gotten off the meds the first year if I had eaten right and exercised. When you can’t feel a disease, it’s harder to think about it. Hopefully he will come around and start taking care of himself. Congrats on the tickets, you Ticket Queen. And sure you should wear your tiara. (later) Very nice gift you made.

Sylvia, I love the analogy of bags of clay. I looked at a 55 pound bag of dog food yesterday in the store and I know I couldn’t lift that. You are right that it’s no wonder we feel so much better when we lose a lot of weight that we no longer have to lug around. Good for you on getting the girls medical and dental needs taken care of. Sylvia=”SuperGrandma”.!!!!!!

Heather, I hope all the train connections work out for you tomorrow. Have a good time.

Pip, I agree that you don’t need to cook dinner tomorrow and end up with more leftovers than you can eat. I hope you have a relaxing meal out.

Allison, I hope Tom just has a bad cold and not the flu. You don’t need him spreading it to your Thanksgiving guests. I hope he is better by then. (later) glad Tom is feeling better.

MicheleNC, when we went to Sam’s to join, we decided to walk around and look first. We did belong to the one here about 3 or 4 years ago but hadn’t been in since. After roaming through the store I decided I had no reason to join. Costco is closer and easier to get in and out of and their gas is always a bit less. And gas is the main reason we belong to either of them, too. I also realized some of the things I used to like to get at Sam’s are no longer purchased at all now that I eat healthier. LOL So I kept my money and bought a new purse with it at Costco. *score*

Kim, I hope you win on no Taco Bell this year but it sounds like a fun day.

DrKatie, I love the turkey you will fix for DGS! That sounds like just what the doctor ordered.

Gloria, congrats on the interview and yes, don’t forget to breathe!!! You will do great.

Rori, crossing fingers for DH results from doctor. Your pumpkin pie sounds yummy.

Frances, welcome. This is a great place for support and information. Please tell us a little about yourself to help us get to know you. We also request that you sign each post with your name and location to make it easier for us to respond. (some of us have CRS degrees) Come often and join right in.

Katla, glad you made it there safely. Your visit with old friend sounds wonderful. Have a great trip.

Joyce, so glad that DH got a good report. Something to be thankful for. Enjoy your family.

CarolGA, I agree about Honey Baked hams. I find the one’ s at Costco are just as good and so much less $$. I mean they all come from pigs, after all. Lol

m1277.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

We did have line dancing yesterday so I got a good workout and did I need it. By about 2 hours in, my hips were beginning to bother me, so I called it quits. Today I am finishing cleaning house and doing what prep work I can for tomorrow’s dinner. Just to have all the chopping done will be nice. I have been feeling light headed a lot lately. Not totally dizzy but somewhat. Any of you medical experts know what could cause that? I’ve had my carotid artery checked in the past year and it’s fine. If it keeps up, I’ll make an appointment with the doctor but I hate going to their office this time of year with all those sick people. Ladies, I am so thankful for all of you and I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving. I am thankful that I found MFP and that it worked for me when nothing else did.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Want2bSlimmer
    Want2bSlimmer Posts: 22 Member
    vvdaqxspxjpo.jpeg

This has been my Moto this month as I've gone off the rails big time - lost my mojo but I WILL find it soon!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,101 Member
    edited November 2015
    DJ - since my issue with dizziness last week I researched different issues that may have caused it. The drop in blood pressure, vertigo, inner ear infection, not eating enough. I hope that feeling goes away. But if you could I would check your blood pressure just to make sure. I'm going to do what you were doing and prep most of what I can for tomorrow's dinner.

Want to be slimmer - Great quote! Thank you for sharing.

Pip - I am glad that you did not fall!

<3

Mary from Minnesota