Removing the Training Wheels Today.

tsazani
tsazani Posts: 830 Member
For 5 weeks and 3 days I've been riding my LCHF bicycle with training wheels. I started with 60/20/20 (f/c/p). Then went 60/15/25 for a week. Today I'm going 70/5/25. Daily carbs from 90g to 68g to 30g.

Wish me luck.

Replies

• Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Best of luck, but I don't think you'll need it. Please keep us updated!
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    You're going hard core! :)

Let us know if 30g feels any different than 68g.
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Good luck! I know you can do it!!
  • Lillith32
    tsazani wrote: »
    My first three sessions were unusually exhausting. On Mon I cheated. 1hr before training I ate a bowl of steel cut oatmeal (30g carbs). Training was much better. Today, I'm going to train 2 hr after my 7g carb breakfast.

When I first went low carb, my workouts suffered for about a month. I do both running and strength training. My running times went down significantly, my strength went down as well. After about a month or two, everything bounced back. In three months, I was running faster and longer, lifting more, and not getting tired as easily. Partially I am attributing this to weight loss (I've read somewhere that for every lb lost you speed up by 10 seconds), but also I believe that once your body starts getting more efficient at burning fat it becomes that much more efficient at using that energy to fuel it's function. I dunno, it might be bro-science. Maybe you will observe similar effects?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Lillith32 wrote: »
    My first three sessions were unusually exhausting. On Mon I cheated. 1hr before training I ate a bowl of steel cut oatmeal (30g carbs). Training was much better. Today, I'm going to train 2 hr after my 7g carb breakfast.

When I first went low carb, my workouts suffered for about a month. I do both running and strength training. My running times went down significantly, my strength went down as well. After about a month or two, everything bounced back. In three months, I was running faster and longer, lifting more, and not getting tired as easily. Partially I am attributing this to weight loss (I've read somewhere that for every lb lost you speed up by 10 seconds), but also I believe that once your body starts getting more efficient at burning fat it becomes that much more efficient at using that energy to fuel it's function. I dunno, it might be bro-science. Maybe you will observe similar effects?

Not bro-science. It's a known phenomenon (and a big reason why people think athletes need carbs). Basically, the first couple of months are when the body still relies more on glucose to get through a workout, but the glycogen stores are no longer there in the amounts they used to be, and in the amounts needed by the consumption levels. As a result, you deplete them faster and aren't efficient at burning fat to higher levels of exertion yet. The "bounce-back" is all the "machinery" catching up to the new way of fueling.
  • Lillith32
    @Dragonwolf, when I don't have studies to back it up, I'm cautious of claiming things as hard facts, but it's good to know that I'm not completely off my rocker and it's the actual mechanism.
    My best run times and lifts were during the period when I was in ketosis for about 5+ months. Distance running in Keto feels totally amazing to me, and is one of the huge reasons why I am planning on sticking to this WOE for life.
  • wabmester
    edited November 2015
    There are studies if you want them. That's Volek's main claim to fame. But Peter Attia's N=1 experiments are more fun. :)

The effect is easy to measure via RQ -- O2/CO2 at various exertion levels.

The mechanism has been shown via rat studies. Increased mitochondrial biogenesis.
  • Lillith32
    @wabmester, I guess I should get around to actually reading Phinney and Volek's books! I seem to never find the time. I just know it works for me, with my N=1 a total success.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Good luck......
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Lillith32 wrote: »

I had the exact same experience. Massive improvements in strength, speed, and endurance. I started LCHF in late July. Since then, I've lost 11lbs (not tracking or restricting calories, and close to normal weight, so slow is expected), went from a slow 5 miles to a much faster 14 miles per run (averaging about 10 min/mile pace...i couldn't do that for even one mile before), and (I just measured this today) have gained a full inch on my bicep while losing 2 inches on my waist and 1 inch on my hips--all other measurements are essentially unchanged.
  • wabmester
    The glucose levels should drop about 2 hrs after exercise.

Interestingly, VLC alone may cause an increase in BG due to higher cortisol levels, but it'll be an interesting experiment in any case.
  • Abm4n
    Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
    My goals are 65% fat; 25% protein; 10% carbs. Today was the first day for awhile I actually hit my targets and I have to say I feel so much better! Got my carbs down to 5% today! Body just feels happy and satisfied.