8 Amazing Fitness Facts You Ignored For Sure

124»

Replies

• shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    #4 surprises me.
    #7 is interesting... 50%??? That's roughly 1000mg for me. That seems like a lot, but I have no idea.

Yeah it's a lot. The original article says 15 shots of espresso or something to achieve it. Who would do that?! :laugh:

You don't take it that way, you take caffeine anhydrous (powdered caffeine).

Lets talk a little about this though because I'm sure I can hear brains turning in the background.

First of all, failure to measure with a scale that is mg accurate is a likely trip to the hospital. Guessing via a volume measurement (tsp/tbsp->g) can get you in the ballpark but at the higher doses that will also get you in the hospital.

*DO NOT USE THESE NUMBERS FOR ANYTHING THEY'RE PARTLY OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD AND MAY BE INACCURATE*

Caffeine Anhydrous Toxicity - 192 mg/kg oral-human LD50. 13mg/kg oral-male-human LDLo.

What does that mean? LD50 is the dose at which 50% of people who take it die. LDLo is the lowest dose recorded that ended up killing someone.

The suggestion of 13mg/kg above for an increase of 50% peak means you're risking your life for a 50% increase in your peak. That said lets talk a bit more about the stuff.

I bought a pound of the stuff a while back and STILL have a ton of it left. I'm going to give measured quantities by tsp/tbsp just for reference of size so you know how much that really is. Never measure something like this by volume (tbsp/tsp/ml), measure it by weight (oz/g). Lets establish some basic caffeine anhydrous facts:

Effective dose that most people of average weight feel is about 1-2mg per kg of body weight.

The generally accepted safe dose of caffeine is 300mg/day.

Above it states that a 50% increase in peak can be gained by ingesting 13mg/kg of body weight of caffeine.

There are 95mg of caffeine in your average 8fl oz cup of coffee.

1 tbsp caffeine = 6000mg

3 tsp = 1 tbsp

1 tsp caffeine = 2000mg

100mg caffine = 1/20 tsp

So 1/20 tsp = ~1 cup of coffee.

Effective dose most people *feel* is around 1-3mg/kg of body weight.

Jitters happen about 4-6mg/kg of body weight.

Feeling sick happens around 7-12mg/kg of body weight.

Potential death starts around 13mg/kg body weight, 50% die at 192mg/kg, and everyone dies in the 250mg/kg range.

Going to use my weight as an example: 310 lbs = 140kg
    Safe Dose = 300mg/day
    3mg/kg = 420mg of caffeine = effective dose for alertness
    6mg/kg = 840mg of caffeine = very jittery, but no heart palpatations
    8mg/kg = 1120mg of caffeine = heart beat illregular, mild shaking in my hands, bad jitters.
    10mg/kg = 1400mg of caffeine = panic attack inducing heart illregularlity, bad shakes, cant sit still.
    13mg/kg = 1820mg of caffeine = I'd probably have a hospital trip.

I have never dosed above 1500mg. For me, 13mg/kg is 6x the daily safe dose. I've used it up to 1500mg and nearly lost my ****. Heart felt like it was going to beat out of my chest and it wasn't regular. I had visible hand shakes no matter what I did and had difficulty writing in any way that was legible. Cold sweats. Tics. It was bad, I considered going to the hospital.

Don't be stupid like I was. We completely take for granted how strong of a stimulant caffeine is because its literally in just about everything. Be careful with your doses and seriously seriously consider any dose that is greater than 300/day and what you're gaining before you take it... you don't want to become the new LDLo.

*DO NOT USE THESE NUMBERS FOR ANYTHING THEY'RE PARTLY OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD AND MAY BE INACCURATE*
  • nothingwithoutHim
    nothingwithoutHim Posts: 140 Member
    #3 freaks me out. Just sayin'. :noway:

I took 3 weeks off of running a month or two ago (was running up to 7 miles at that point) and still haven't got that level of fitness back. 3 miles tops, righthisverysecond. :sad:
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    interesting, thanks for sharing :)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    1,3,6&8 are all pretty shady.

I know 3 is BS for a fact, at least for me & my strength.

ANd the caffeine one is rather dumb, because who is realistically going to take that much?