Help! I'm gaining weight with diet and exercise!

Options
123457»

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    The only thing required for weight loss is the calorie deficit, but there really is no right way to get there. How you get there is individual.

I must've been bad and crossed a line or something because my post is gone. But...yes, this.

If you quoted someone who was ranting and out or order it would just have been deleted to get rid of the nastiness of the quoted part
  • heatherlewisis
    heatherlewisis Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Holy cow... Why does every post in this community turn into a pissing competition? People have shared what has worked for them and that's great... If you think it wouldn't work for you, then do what you would rather do instead. No need to go back and forth like my 5 & 6 year olds do when they both think they're right...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Holy cow... Why does every post in this community turn into a pissing competition? People have shared what has worked for them and that's great... If you think it wouldn't work for you, then do what you would rather do instead. No need to go back and forth like my 5 & 6 year olds do when they both think they're right...

because we like factual information ....
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    LOL. This thread is officially over now.

Edit: Nevermind, the Herbalife spam is gone now.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Ummm..you think those of us who are commenting about food intake being most important don't exercise?

Really?

Ok then

I exercise 4-5 days a week (zumba, Elliptical, strength exercises, and walking the 89 lb ox known as Trixie my energetic black lab ) and still weigh my food ...they go hand in hand.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

because we like factual information ....

This a million times!!
  • rustyquinn
    rustyquinn Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Looks like you gained almost 4lbs in 4days. Not likely. Have you eaten salty foods. please don't stress too much about it. The posts here are amazing keep up the good work and carry on.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Edit: I guess I should read the whole thing before jumping in. I didn't even notice it was 4 pages, argh. So perhaps this has all been said.
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    I think many people make it much more complicated than it needs to be. I also think many people just don't want to put the work in. Lets face it. Its very strenuous and uncomfortable to exercise, and many people do not want to do it.

Why are you assuming that OP, or people in general, are not exercising? I don't see anything in OP's post about not exercising. Instead, she says she does exercise. She is eating more than she needs to eat despite the exercise she is doing so, yes, she needs to exercise more or eat less. But if she is having a hard time losing despite eating what she thinks are the right calories, her issue is that she's not estimating well, and people who don't estimate well (something that is common and can be changed) very often eat more without realizing it if they try to lose by increasing activity.

OP also has 14 lbs to lose and is at a relatively low weight compared to many people first starting out, which means she needs to eat fewer calories than someone heavier or larger to lose and will burn less from the same activity. As I recall, you were significantly heavier than her when you started and you said you were sedentary, so for you of course just paying attention to food choices and getting off your rear was likely to help. However, I know from experience (I am now 125 and I exercise a lot harder than just some power walking), that it's quite easy to blow past any calorie target that I might have if I don't pay attention. I don't currently think I need to log (although it's easier and faster to lose when logging for me), but that's because I understand portion sizes and what calories are in what very well now -- something that weighing was helpful in learning (and interesting too).

On the other hand, when I was obese and sedentary losing was just a matter of moving more and eating less, sure. That doesn't mean saying "you don't have to weigh, just exercise more" is going to be helpful to everyone. It is not.

I really don't understand why you feel so committed to this lie that people who recommend more accuracy in counting calories in are people who don't exercise and don't value exercise. Most of the people who recommend it seem to exercise much more than what you claim.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I forget where the post was now, but the OP came back and said that her period came early. That's what the lbs were :)

I understand that a scale is necessary and very helpful for so many people here, but people aren't always overeating if they don't use a scale. I wish there were an easy way to know whether it's water fluctuations or not.

For me, I measure my waist as it usually isn't affected by water weight much (or added muscle, which I am actively shooting for) and is quite sensitive to overeating, lol. But I have seen my period/hormones affect even my waist temporarily! That cleared up within a week, too, though, so sometimes patience is probably the solution that will let you know better for the future. Changing caloric intake right then muddies the data. Just mho, of course! A lot of this is really subjective :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    She's been trying to lose weight for 2 months and hasn't, according to the OP. That means she's been eating at maintenance.

I think it's pretty easy to see if it's water if you weigh frequently. One of the reasons I do, in fact.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    She's been trying to lose weight for 2 months and hasn't, according to the OP. That means she's been eating at maintenance.

I think it's pretty easy to see if it's water if you weigh frequently. One of the reasons I do, in fact.

It could be maintenance or it could be a slow rate of loss, because it wouldn't have accumulated enough to overcome the large water fluctuations at 8 weeks. Mine would have, because I only fluctuate by 3 lbs, but hers do look bigger than that.

I'd probably cut 100 calories a day, yeah. But it does depend on how quickly you are planning on losing, OP. If shooting for 0.5 lbs/wk, that would be 4 lbs by now, and you may see that after your period (or not). I did my loss at that rate, and the beginning was confusing and slow going, mainly because of the water fluctuations! It was so hard to tell what was going on in the first couple to 3 months, because 0.5 lbs is so easily masked until it adds up to a big enough number.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    crud....
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    ollaf
  • lepeep717
    lepeep717 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello - I'm back. I didn't realize the thread would turn into several pages, lol. Yes, a few pages back I posted that my period came early and I realized it was water weight. I have since lost 2 pounds and it looks like the water weight is starting to come off. Everyone gave very good advice about being more meticulous with logging in the correct number of calories, so I've become more diligent about that. Until I get a food scale I've been using measuring cups to monitor portions. I'm going to aim for 1600 calories a day, and check the results in about 10 days.

For the folks wondering if I had gained muscle - I do cardio 2 - 3 times a week (mostly Zumba for an hour at a time). I tried a Body Pump class only once (it's strength training with more reps, lower weights) and I liked it, but I have a back issue that I'm trying to heal so my physical therapist said to hold off on lifting weights.

Thanks to everyone who gave their input. I truly appreciate it!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    lepeep717 wrote: »
    Hello - I'm back. I didn't realize the thread would turn into several pages, lol. Yes, a few pages back I posted that my period came early and I realized it was water weight. I have since lost 2 pounds and it looks like the water weight is starting to come off. Everyone gave very good advice about being more meticulous with logging in the correct number of calories, so I've become more diligent about that. Until I get a food scale I've been using measuring cups to monitor portions. I'm going to aim for 1600 calories a day, and check the results in about 10 days.

For the folks wondering if I had gained muscle - I do cardio 2 - 3 times a week (mostly Zumba for an hour at a time). I tried a Body Pump class only once (it's strength training with more reps, lower weights) and I liked it, but I have a back issue that I'm trying to heal so my physical therapist said to hold off on lifting weights.

Thanks to everyone who gave their input. I truly appreciate it!

Yep. The thread got a wincy bit derailed but glad to see you are back. Food scale is eyeopening and best wishes to you!!