What do you guys do to stop yourself from eating when you aren't hungry?

124»

Replies

• annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    I might get flamed for this, but I find that eating breakfast triggers that 'I want to snack all day' feeling.

I stopped eating breakfast most days, and found that I suddenly feel in control of my eating. I stick to two meals a day on those days, and I don't snack. (Don't even want to).

I tried the 5 small meals a day thing, and this was a total disaster for me. I wanted to eat ALL THE TIME.
    You have to find what works for you.....
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    I try to stick to pre planned wrote out meals and if I feel urge to snack I try cleaning, organizing, reading, walking, or manage a low cal snack like 60 cals, sometimes it's moe a compulsion and then it's hard but I try also meditation, coloring, making something, zen tangles watching a inspiring movie.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Ive been chewing gum, but I still want to keep eating throughout the day.

Do something else.
  • piheart
    piheart Posts: 122 Member
    Merkavar wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Play video games. Hard to eat when hands are being occupied.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

That's exactly what I was going to say.

I can eat all the radioactive meat I want in game :smiley:

Hope this is a Fallout reference... This is exactly what I do too! Fire up the PS4 and spend hours playing video games... I usually lose track of time and before you know it, time for bed. But I also allow it in my calories for a periodic snack during the night time, because that's how I'm used to eating and how I like to eat.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I think it pays to think about why you are eating when you are not hungry. If chewing gum helps, is it because you want more chewing time? Then pick crunchy foods. Is it boredom? Then find new ways to provide stimulation throughout your day.

There are tricks also to stop an eating session mid-stream, like audibly staying "stop", putting your hand up, and moving.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    One thing that works for me is to weigh out things i'm considering eating. I just had my breakfast and was still in the mood to eat more. I have a donut on hand and once I weighed it out and saw how big of an impact it would have on my daily caloric intake... I changed my mind. It really helped me evaluate if it was worth it. It wasn't. Now if i have some extra calories the end of the night then I may indulge.

Plus Once I finished weighing and considering... I wasn't even hungry anymore. Lol.

Wow, I love this idea. I don't often have trouble snacking when not really hungry, but when I do it is often accompanied by rebellelious thoughts like "and I don't care how many calories are in this!" If I said, go ahead and eat but first weigh and measure, that would go a long way toward curing me of this bad habit.
  • hannahadrianna
    hannahadrianna Posts: 8 Member
    Brush my teeth.
    Drink some water.
    Take my dog for a walk.
    Clean something.

Mostly those cravings are mental (for me, at least) not true hunger. If the craving doesn't go away, or I feel the beginning of a headache coming on, I eat some veggies. Celery or cucumber.