I was eating a salad and someone told me it was pointless

13»

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Raynne413 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I think there was a miscommunication. The theory is that you need a salad dressing with fat to help you absorb the nutrients in the veggies and greens, so maybe he was talking about using a fat free salad dressing?

I had no idea, but surely if there's fat in your salad, even if it's not in the dressing, it would be fine?

About the 'iceberg lettuce is void of nutrients' myth though, I found a good article about it
    http://www.raw-food-health.net/Iceberg-Lettuce-Nutrition.html

Yes, that is true, but some people are so fat-phobic that they have no fat source in the salad, and then use fat free dressing on top of that.

I eat salads like that all the time (very, very definitely not fat phobic). I just really like sour dressings and simple salads, so I use cider vinegar or balsamic vinegar on cucumber, tomato, and spinach most of the time. Oil ruins it for me. I suppose I should add some bacon or goat cheese instead.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2015
    stealthq wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I think there was a miscommunication. The theory is that you need a salad dressing with fat to help you absorb the nutrients in the veggies and greens, so maybe he was talking about using a fat free salad dressing?

I had no idea, but surely if there's fat in your salad, even if it's not in the dressing, it would be fine?

About the 'iceberg lettuce is void of nutrients' myth though, I found a good article about it
    http://www.raw-food-health.net/Iceberg-Lettuce-Nutrition.html

Yes, that is true, but some people are so fat-phobic that they have no fat source in the salad, and then use fat free dressing on top of that.

I eat salads like that all the time (very, very definitely not fat phobic). I just really like sour dressings and simple salads, so I use cider vinegar or balsamic vinegar on cucumber, tomato, and spinach most of the time. Oil ruins it for me. I suppose I should add some bacon or goat cheese instead.

I often have just vinegar or just vinegar and mustard for the dressing, but I also usually add olives or feta.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    If you didn't ask that person for their opinion... tell them their opinion is pointless lol
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    edited December 2015
    Salad is excellent for micronutrients. Romaine lettuce, kale, and spinach are much better for this than iceberg, and other veggies are great as well. Your salad was damn near perfect from this standpoint. I see Vitamin A, B, C, E & K, magnesium; folate; Beta-Carotene; and others.

I highly recommend Dr. Rhonda Patrick's podcast on nutrition, which includes a lot about micronutrients and epigenetics (gene expression from environmental factors, like nutrition). Her appearances on the Joe Rogan podcast have also been great.

Your friend's trainer is an idiot.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    I think a salad with some lean meat, tree nuts, cheese and some fruit has lots of nutrition. I do however think some iceberg lettuce with dressing is lacking
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    craziedani wrote: »
    They fill me up for sure. I get tired of eating and it keeps hunger at bay for a *kitten* ton less calories than what I could eat.

Ya, it took me 4 hours to eat this smoothie. That plus an ounce of peanuts and I am starting to get hungry after 6 hours:

kf9ycrpbwosr.png
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Being delicious is just as good of reason to eat something as macros.

Never under estimate the value of something that makes you happy. I work at a Moroccan Restaurant- Part of the deal is food- so I can order what ever I want... and 9/10 I eat the Lebanese chicken salad every time I'm there- could I order other things- sure. But it makes me happy. So I order that.

• htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Print it out. Smack that person in the face with your salad's nutrition report for that person is dumb and deserves to be smacked.

Funniest this I have seen so far. You know what I didn't even think of doing that. I didn't think I was doing wrong, I've been eating salads for a while (trying to get back into it) and I'm like I feel soo much he better. Granted the trainer was at planet fitness. I don't necessarily think they are bad but I would love to see their nutrition credentials

How about if you put the salad on their pizza? Then would it work?
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    There are certainly some veggies that pack less nutritional punch. Cucumbers and eggplants are the two I can always remember. But "less" does not mean "zero"! And anyway, a salad with spring mix and spinach is awesome!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Okay now I don't necessarily believe this. My salad had chicken , peppers, organic spring mix with spinach and a little bit of romaine, tomatoes and onions. Oil and vinegar for a dressing. Someone said they were told at the gym by a trainer that eating a salad is pointless because we don't get any nutritional value from it.

I know it's healthy, I know it's beneficial, but does anyone know or have proof of this. Articles? I told them i would get back to them because I don't believe this at all.

Honestly, I think you have to consider the source here. Someone said that a trainer said that a salad is pointless, and you are concerned about that? The trainer (as has been pointed out by others) is likely not a registered dietician, not to mention that the trainer themself didn't see your salad, so why would you even consider any commentary from a third party about the nutritional value of your food?

The other thing is - this is a classic example of individual foods don't exist in a vacuum. Your salad sounds great to me, and filled with a variety of micro nutrients, protein, etc. Even still, you don't have to make each individual meal a perfectly balanced composition of all macro/micro nutrients required. It's how ALL the foods you eat, in the course of a day, or even in the course of a week, fit together that is what counts. That's why there's nothing wrong with eating something like ice cream, in the context of an overall balanced, nutrient dense diet.

• FitGamerSmoak
    FitGamerSmoak Posts: 224 Member
    Thanks for all the advice and knowledge . Yeah I took what he said (said person is trying to lose weight) and was like I'd really like to see where the trainer I getting his information from because I could either have a burger or a salad that I make with good ingredients. It takes me an hour to eat it and keep me regular and it's delicious.

In the long run, I'm going to continue to eat my salads and lose weight while he is being told that a salad is pointless lol. I'm pretty sure I win there. Lol.

And yes the only nutrition advice I get is from an RD who actually has a degree in this things.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    TMost trainers receive very little actual education regarding nutrition, I would never take nutrition advice from one. And there is no such thing as "pointless" when it comes to what you are eating. I guess if your goal is to follow that trainer's specific guidelines, and your salad didn't meet it, then maybe?

As for me, I eat salad because I like it.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    I think the person misunderstood the trainer. Or worse, how trained is the trainer in nutrition? I don't think there is a standard or certification for those folks.
  • Rabidrunner
    Rabidrunner Posts: 117 Member
    edited December 2015
    I would love to ask that trainer "Soooo, if fresh vegetables, leafy greens, and lean protein have no nutritional value, where exactly DO dietary nutrients come from?"

Would love to hear their answer.

I have to wonder though, it sounds like it might have been a bit of lost in communication, since if I'm reading this correctly:
    Someone said they were told at the gym by a trainer that eating a salad is pointless because we don't get any nutritional value from it.
    It sounds like you heard it from someone else who said they heard it from a trainer. Not that you had this conversation with a trainer yourself and no one actually said anything about your salad. Might be a case of "Chinese Whispers"?
  • ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    edited December 2015
    Vegetables are excellent nutrition
    This is true because while they often have relatively small amounts of things like protein per gram, they have even smaller amounts of calories. The ratio matters.
    The 'Poor nutrition content' finger is usually pointed at foods that have a high 'empty calorie' ratio, meaning sugar and fat rather than vitamins and protein per gram.

One of the best general diet advices is to take in a lot of water. That is vegetables in a nutshell. Of course vegetable vary a lot one from another: Look e.g. at Tofu, made from soybeans:

0xg2m8xbypjs.jpg

The RDA of protein is met after 500 kCalories, or about 600 grams. And that amount will be 200% the calcium required, 150% the Iron, and very little Sodium. One of my favorite treats is a high protein granola bar admixed with nuts. 10 grams of protein in 170 kCalories. Good stuff, but it cannot compete with Tofu on a nutrition basis.
  • MSH2930
    MSH2930 Posts: 161 Member
    I am very much still a novice to MFP but one thing I have found and that I believe is we need to do what works for us and what we believe is best for us and what we get the most/best advantage from. That person is entitled to their opinion. It does not mean it is right or that you need to follow it.

I think some people's opinions and ideas, much like some info found online, are not always accurate or even true. Just because someone says it or it is on the internet, does not make it true or factual.

As long as you are finding a balance that works for you and you are getting your nutrients and vitamins and other things to maintain health and strength, then do not worry about what everybody and their brother says.

When we diet ir start a health program, it seems people always want to give us advice, be it solicited or unsolicited. A lot of times we need to take things with a grain of salt.

If something seems wrong or off, then it probably is!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Sez3199 wrote: »
    I would love to ask that trainer "Soooo, if fresh vegetables, leafy greens, and lean protein have no nutritional value, where exactly DO dietary nutrients come from?"

"I'm glad you asked. See, there's this new supplement called..."
  • FitGamerSmoak
    FitGamerSmoak Posts: 224 Member
    Sez3199 wrote: »

I have to wonder though, it sounds like it might have been a bit of lost in communication, since if I'm reading this correctly:
    Someone said they were told at the gym by a trainer that eating a salad is pointless because we don't get any nutritional value from it.
    It sounds like you heard it from someone else who said they heard it from a trainer. Not that you had this conversation with a trainer yourself and no one actually said anything about your salad. Might be a case of "Chinese Whispers"?

Yes the person who said it to me was told this by their trainer. He looked at my salad for lunch and said that.