Introducing: The Carrot Hotdog

13»

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Meat of any type has a pretty distinct taste and texture. Part of the reason why I've never considered becoming a vegan or vegetarian is because there are no plants that can simulate that. If there was something legitimate that existed, I might consider it. But it's something about the smell of roasting meat on a grill that keeps me in the game.

While I'm not a vegan, never have the desire to be one and agree 100% with your last sentence, have you ever tried a nice, big grilled portabella mushroom as the "meat" for a sandwich? Even though it's not quite the same as real meat, it's very tasty! I don't mind it as an alternative once in a while.

Mushrooms vs. "meat" is close enough for me in terms of taste, but doesn't hit anywhere near the spot when it comes to satiety. It hits just to the left of the spot, maybe :/ I do a little better with falafels and bean burgers and things like that. Still not as filling as a real burger, though.

But yeah I'm not keen on substitutions, like squash for pasta, or this carrot for a hot dog, would rather just let the squash be squashy and the carrot be carroty.
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    But can I eat carrot dogs on the military diet?

hahaha Good one! :smiley:
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Only if I can make a bun from cauliflower.

Barney-likes-you.gif
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    I'd try it!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,901 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Meat of any type has a pretty distinct taste and texture. Part of the reason why I've never considered becoming a vegan or vegetarian is because there are no plants that can simulate that. If there was something legitimate that existed, I might consider it. But it's something about the smell of roasting meat on a grill that keeps me in the game.

While I'm not a vegan, never have the desire to be one and agree 100% with your last sentence, have you ever tried a nice, big grilled portabella mushroom as the "meat" for a sandwich? Even though it's not quite the same as real meat, it's very tasty! I don't mind it as an alternative once in a while.
    I love mushrooms. And I'd HAVE to throw a meat patty in with that portabella mushroom to enhance the experience. ;)

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    This just seems a whole bunch of sad. Roasted carrots taste amazing, but I've never really had the craving to put one on bread or to eat it with mayo or mustard...