Getting back into it after a bad month?

124»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited January 2016
    I'd try the EPO anyway, you've got nothing to lose, at least you'd have glowing skin :smiley:
    Macca powder is supposed to be good for resetting wonky hormones. If I was in your position I'd be trying them, if they help, great, if not at least you tried.

Well it can have side effect, and you can't take it with Advil, which I need during PMS for cramps, so it's pretty much impossible anyway...
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I'm really not sure what else to offer other than it seems these are your options, one or more of them:

Push your calorie level up by 100-200 calories and weigh more often to see if your maintenance is higher than you think.

Adjust your weight goal upward slightly so that you get more calories to deal with
    maintaining at a higher level.

Eat at a deficit forever to offset the 1/3 of the month that you are suffering from this insatiable hunger

Work out like a fiend on those days to get more calories to deal with.

Weigh yourself more than once a month so you can get a better handle on the timing of your fluctuations and the impact of your calorie intake week to week.

Eat more of the calorie dense foods and less of the treats all month long. You like the treats, not just the little ones but the big baked goods and super yummy things. I know you know how calorie dense those are. You may just have to forgo them if these other things are bothering you that much and maintaining the weight you are at is that important to you and you can't get past the hunger.

Just suck it up and ignore the hunger. Have you tried finding ways to distract yourself, something that occupies mind and body like going for a walk listening to an audio book or taking a yoga class?

I don't know what else to offer you as a suggestion. You say that no one believes you, that sounds unnecessarily harsh, you've gotten really good suggestions here from people trying to help and you've dismissed every suggestion offered here, either you don't think it will work or isn't worth trying for xyz reason, or you said you had tried it before and it doesn't work for you.

I decreased my deficit a bit, so it's easier to stick to on normal days, and should still make up for PMS.
    Definitely going back to weighing daily for a while at least.
    I actually rarely eat big calorie dense treats... when I do it's on non PMS days typically, when I'm not very hungry anyway, and it fits my calories just fine, and it actually fills me up too... Sure I had pie and cake during the Holidays but, well, it was the Holidays...

Again though... I CAN'T ignore the hunger. It makes me dizzy and close to passing out (and extremely crabby). I've tried everything - reading, walking, watching a movie, it doesn't help. I even went out to run errands once and almost passed out at the store.

Otherwise, I appreciated the advice in the thread and I intend to follow it, but the PMS-related stuff I'm dismissing because yes, I've tried most of it, and it didn't help. But I guess it's once again my fault for even mentioning it because most people really don't know what it's like (although some do, I found a few threads on another forum with women with the same issue, but unfortunately nobody had a miracle solution either)... just felt I had to because it's really the main reason I'm so anxious about maintaining.

But I guess I really do just fine on non hormonal days, so it's a relief of some sort. Just got to stick to that deficit, and it sucks sometimes, because yes, I would love to be able to fit those 400 calorie treats that some people can apparently fit in easily at maintenance, but it's pretty much impossible for me to do so.

Oh and I lost another pound this morning, so I guess that most of it was water weight after all.

ETA: I do appreciate the suggestions, it's just disheartening because believe me, I wish someone had a solution that worked, lol.

I sincerely hope you find what works for you.

Me too. I'm sitting here wracking my brain trying to think of things to help you. I know you said you were going to try higher fat, but if you do that I'd recommend lowering your carbs to balance it out.

Like i said, i would try what was suggested, what you have to go through every month sounds torturous :disappointed:

Yeah I'll try lowering my carbs. It's a bit odd for me mostly because I typically need a good balance of carbs, fat, and protein to keep me full, but it's worth a shot... I have some bacon ready, and eggs, and we'll see how that works, lol. Once it starts I'll get some full fat yogurt and 85% ground beef as well. We'll see.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited January 2016
    Your thread reminded me of a couple of articles I came across a while ago. Didn't look too closely at them - I think at least some of what's in the second link is slightly a crock - but maybe there's something useful in there?

http://www.metaboliceffect.com/exercise-menstruation/
    ^ suggests doing different workouts/eating plans in different phases. I.e. working out way harder in your premenstrual phase. Hopefully you have good pain control:

Protocol Overview

Follicular phase (Days 1-14): 30:40:30 macronutrient intake (carbs:protein:fat). 3 times weekly full body traditional weight training (squat, bench press, back row, shoulder press), 4 sets of 10 using a 8-12 rep max. 5 days per week steady state moderate intensity cardio (40-60 minutes).

Luteal phase (Days 14-28): 20:40:40 or 10:45:45 macronutrient intake (carbs:protein:fat). 4-5 days per week metabolic conditioning (mixed weight & cardio interval training). Daily leisure walking (as much as able)
    Repeat next month

https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/how-to-burn-stubborn-body-fat
    ^^ talks more about "stubborn fat". i don't know about that. but this talks about another approach to cycling diet / workout and mentions some supplements (also don't know about that). caveat lector

I don't know if any of that would help with hunger but it might be a way to work with what's happening :/
  • Francl27
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Your thread reminded me of a couple of articles I came across a while ago. Didn't look too closely at them - I think at least some of what's in the second link is slightly a crock - but maybe there's something useful in there?

http://www.metaboliceffect.com/exercise-menstruation/
    ^ suggests doing different workouts/eating plans in different phases. I.e. working out way harder in your premenstrual phase. Hopefully you have good pain control:

Protocol Overview

Follicular phase (Days 1-14): 30:40:30 macronutrient intake (carbs:protein:fat). 3 times weekly full body traditional weight training (squat, bench press, back row, shoulder press), 4 sets of 10 using a 8-12 rep max. 5 days per week steady state moderate intensity cardio (40-60 minutes).

Luteal phase (Days 14-28): 20:40:40 or 10:45:45 macronutrient intake (carbs:protein:fat). 4-5 days per week metabolic conditioning (mixed weight & cardio interval training). Daily leisure walking (as much as able)
    Repeat next month

https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/how-to-burn-stubborn-body-fat
    ^^ talks more about "stubborn fat". i don't know about that. but this talks about another approach to cycling diet / workout and mentions some supplements (also don't know about that). caveat lector

I don't know if any of that would help with hunger but it might be a way to work with what's happening :/

Thanks! I like the increased fat for the luteal phase too (that's the tricky one). Would seem that my idea might work. Will definitely give it a shot in 2 weeks.

Can't really work out harder then though, I already work out as much as my legs will tolerate :(
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    edited January 2016
    I'm really not sure what else to offer other than it seems these are your options, one or more of them:

Push your calorie level up by 100-200 calories and weigh more often to see if your maintenance is higher than you think.

Adjust your weight goal upward slightly so that you get more calories to deal with

Eat at a deficit forever to offset the 1/3 of the month that you are suffering from this insatiable hunger

Weigh yourself more than once a month so you can get a better handle on the timing of your fluctuations and the impact of your calorie intake week to week.

Eat more of the calorie dense foods and less of the treats all month long. You like the treats, not just the little ones but the big baked goods and super yummy things. I know you know how calorie dense those are. You may just have to forgo them if these other things are bothering you that much and maintaining the weight you are at is that important to you and you can't get past the hunger.

Just suck it up and ignore the hunger. Have you tried finding ways to distract yourself, something that occupies mind and body like going for a walk listening to an audio book or taking a yoga class?

I don't know what else to offer you as a suggestion. You say that no one believes you, that sounds unnecessarily harsh, you've gotten really good suggestions here from people trying to help and you've dismissed every suggestion offered here, either you don't think it will work or isn't worth trying for xyz reason, or you said you had tried it before and it doesn't work for you.

This. I'm not sure why you keep posting the same thing, shooting down every suggestion then finally kvetching that 'no one believes you'. Someone made the good suggestion that you try EPO and you replied that a Google search told you it wouldn't help so you wouldn't bother. What exactly are you looking for other than attention?

ETA Just saw you don't want to take EPO because you take ibuprofen. I have never heard that you can't take the two together and I work in a fertility clinic.
  • Francl27
    edited January 2016

This. I'm not sure why you keep posting the same thing, shooting down every suggestion then finally kvetching that 'no one believes you'. Someone made the good suggestion that you try EPO and you replied that a Google search told you it wouldn't help so you wouldn't bother. What exactly are you looking for other than attention?

ETA Just saw you don't want to take EPO because you take ibuprofen. I have never heard that you can't take the two together and I work in a fertility clinic.

It's a blood thinner apparently? And so is Ibuprofen. I saw it on two 'herbal supplements' sites.

As for the suggestions - I've pretty much tried it all, that's why I'm shooting it down (except EPO obviously - but I try to do some research before trying things blindly). The 'no one believes me' thing is just directed at a couple comments or people who tell me that it's just a willpower issue... because it's really more than that. So, two different things. I appreciate the advice, honestly, but what am I supposed to say when it's something I've already tried? I guess I could just ignore the poster, but then I'd be accused of ignoring advice, so I can't win I guess.

The advice here is solid though for non PMS days so I appreciate it!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    I always always always always always gain during the holidays. I actually plan for it and try to drop down a few pounds right before so the upswing is not so bad. This year I have been maintaining around 200, which really means a weight range of 195-205 during the year for me. I don't sweat that as I can drop or level a few pounds within a couple weeks or so. For me, giving myself leeway to enjoy a little more during holidays, then moderate a little tighter during off months makes the healthy lifestyle more enjoyable and manageable.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    On coping with the monthly fluctuations, I weigh every day, but only compare weights counting from the number of days since my last period started. So, how is my weight doing 6 days after the most recent period compared to 6 days after the one before? That way you can compare cycle-by-cycle and also through each cycle. It's a month-over-month comparison but for a woman.
  • Francl27
    edited January 2016
    On coping with the monthly fluctuations, I weigh every day, but only compare weights counting from the number of days since my last period started. So, how is my weight doing 6 days after the most recent period compared to 6 days after the one before? That way you can compare cycle-by-cycle and also through each cycle. It's a month-over-month comparison but for a woman.

It's pretty much what I do. Actually now it's been 4 days since my period ended and I can tell that I've dropped some water weight today (lots of bathroom breaks). I'll keep weighing every day to see... So far I'm 4 pounds heavier than 2 months ago still...

I've been doing great and sticking to a 300 deficit for 10 days now though, but OF COURSE I had to get sick so it's probably been closer to maintenance (and maybe a bit of surplus sadly) the last 3 days, as I haven't exercised (but hey maybe fighting this stupid cold has been burning calories, one can hope, right?). Hopefully feeling better tomorrow so I can do some stationary bike without having to worry about passing out...

So yeah... easy to keep a 300 calorie deficit (more, not so much, I just get too hungry) as long as I'm not sick and I don't have PMS, just so increasingly frustrating that those 2 things seem to happen every single month lately. It just seems so much is out of my hands.

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    just giddy up and get focused, and keep saying to yourself how bad you want it, you can do it