One more question, how often do you weigh yourself?

13»

Replies

• perhapsormaybe
    perhapsormaybe Posts: 28 Member
    I do daily because it's a better motivator for me. If I lost, whoo-hoo, this is working! If I haven't it motivates me to keep going. I just have to remind myself some weight fluxes are going to happen no matter what.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,715 Member
    lolowjc05 wrote: »
    I am leaning towards daily, I just need to remind myself that if I'm up a 1/2 pound or something that it's not a deal breaker but rather just a fluctuation with water or something. Especially if I have done all the right things with food and exercising.

One comment on this, specifically: It can be substantially more than a 1/2 pound, and still be a fluctuation.

I've weighed myself daily in the morning for years, even when not losing (not compulsive, just a data geek). My weight has gone up as much as *five pounds* from one day to the next, and I'll guarantee I hadn't eat 17,500 extra calories in 24 hours. Two to three pounds difference from one day to the next is not particularly unusual.

If you think calmly about it, and especially if you're logging what you eat, asking yourself "have I really eaten roughly X pounds times 3500 calories more than my maintenance calories?" will give you a strong clue whether it's a fluctuation or a real weight gain.

If you choose to weigh daily, you'll come to understand, in time, what causes your personal fluctuations. To me, that's extremely useful (and sometimes soothing) knowledge.