HIIT recommendations for a beginner with knee issues?

2»

Replies

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,398 Member
    Glad to hear that it's going ok. Adding some quicker paced intervals will help if you have trouble setting pace and have extra energy. But as stated upthread, if you have a set amount of time to exercise, finding out your maximum output for the length of time is always going to burn more calories overall.

You can use cadence vs resistance, heart rate, or whatever data you have available to figure out your sustained output you can handle for that time period. The closer you get to your real max, the less energy you will have left at the end of your workout.

You can burn a good chunk of calories on a bike, as you are engaging some of the largest muscles in your body, and doing it while not supporting your body weight.

I figured out a way to calculate doing the original Tabata HIIT protocol on my elliptical. Not as muscle intensive as I had expected it to be, but brutal on the breathing system. But I burned almost as many calories on the warm up as I did doing the intervals. And if I had taken the total time and just worked at high output sustained, I would have easily burned more.