How fast did you gain your weight? (And why I'll be logging forever)

1235»

Replies

• Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    I was an average sized kid, but my mother who has an eating disorder basically told me I was the fattest girl on the planet. She heavily restricted my food so that I wouldn't get even fatter. When I moved out of her house I went crazy eating everything I was never allowed to eat. That's what made me gain the weight. It took from when I was 16 until my mid 20s for me to reach my highest weight of 235.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    I gained mine really really fast after an illness and injury. I was put on a combination of drugs that completely changed how I ate - I know that's not a popular thought here and it was up to me whether to eat or not. If there are meds that can suppress your appetite then obviously there are some that stimulate it and I was on 3 that are known to cause weight gain. (I won't get into any discussions/arguments with anyone over this) I put on 30 lbs first month although I'm sure some was water because of one drug. I kept going from there and honestly didn't know how big I was really getting for awhile. I HAD to wear loose clothing and so nothing was getting tight and I was unable to stand on a scale.

Examples would be going from hating chips and hating all mayo and mayo based items to not being able to stop thinking about really high fat items non stop and I gave in and ate them. I still have to have chips refrigerated to eat them and actually rarely bother because they just aren't good. :s

I also went from being athletic and very active to bedridden for weeks at a time. I still have issues with it and someday I'll either be using a walker or wheelchair - not at old age either. I could use a cane now. Not excuses. Just my journey. Im a walking miracle actually. I wasn't supposed to be walking unassisted at this point.

Depression and health fear anxiety played a role as well.

I recently came back after choosing to go into maintenance for several months for severe issues. Successfully. I remained aware of my intake and logged occasionally and only put a small amount back on of which most is already going away - water. I still have a lot to lose and am back at it now.

Once I reach my goal I'll always at least log part time just to check myself. More if my activity level decreases again.
  • parfia
    parfia Posts: 184 Member
    9 months of pregnancy = 50lbs of weight :neutral: I was fairly active before I got pregnant with my little girl and I had a pregnancy before her during which I tried to maintain my gym and eating regime and I unfortunately miscarried. I was convinced that it was because I had done too much or not eaten enough so I pretty much lay still and ate what I wanted to 9 months whilst I carried her :blush:
  • Darylann
    Darylann Posts: 9 Member
    edited January 2016
    It took me 31 years to gain 125lbs. . . 2 kids, a divorce, and a bad relationship. I ate my way up the scale knowing I was getting fatter and fatter. I figured I was depressed, but didn't do anything about it. I eventually ended that terrible relationship and started working on myself. I've lost 50lbs over the past 5 years. I know it is slow, but I am a work in progress. I recently put 5lbs back on since the holidays. Now I am working on logging my food and exercising 2 to 3 days a week. I try to be realistic about what I can achieve and I try to not put pressure on myself for fast weight loss. My goals are small achievable goals, so I do not get discouraged. For me slow and steady is working when I log my food daily. I definitely get off track when I skip logging. For me, there will always be many battles with weight loss and I have accepted this, but all that really matters is winning the war year after year. Good Luck everyone. Happy New Year 2016.
  • Nerakhate
    Nerakhate Posts: 11 Member
    9 months, twice. I went from 114 to 179 between two pregnancies. I was fit all through my 20s until my early 30s with pregnancy. It's been brutal to peel back the weight.
  • dkingdom1
    dkingdom1 Posts: 60 Member
    25 pounds within half a year, another 15ish within 9 months to a year. If I wanted to be accurate, I've actually been in the same weight range since March 2015. Doesn't bother me, I'm okay with being overweight. As long as I'm not in the obese range because that's when the real trouble starts (and hence why I'm trying to implement this lifestyle change).
  • SeanNJ
    SeanNJ Posts: 153 Member
    edited January 2016
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Merkavar wrote: »
    I think when I did the maths it ended up being 120cal surplus a day for 13 years.

Such a small amount.

This sounds small but I think the figure is deceiving. Wouldn't you have to continue to increase the number of calories you eat as your TDEE increased with your weight and/or as your body adapted to your intake to continue to gain weight? I think. Maybe.

Yeah. But as my tdee went up and my intake went up the surplus would remain the same. Right?

Or does an obese person gain fat at a different rate than a thin person or does both take 3500 calories?

Same rate. The wording and the way it's being broken down is misleading. It makes it seem scarier to go 120 calories over than it really is. It's like if this were money and you said "All I did was save an extra 120 dollars a week" when what you really did was save 120 the first week, 240 the next, 360 the next, etc.

I ran my current numbers through a BMR calculator, and then added 100 pounds and did it again. By the end of my "bulk", I would have to be eating roughly 720 calories more a day to maintain the same caloric surplus.

So I agree, it is a little misleading. Eating an extra 120 calories seems pretty insignificant, but adding another big meal seems like it would be tough to hide.
  • Rdsgoal16
    Rdsgoal16 Posts: 302 Member
    Torn muscle after during a marathon, was unable to run for a year. (poor excuse tubby, I should have watched my food intake and done alternate exercise) keep the calorie intake up without the training. Estimate 20 pounds in 4 months then a 5-10 pound per year increase.....ballooning up to 100+ pounds over weight 13 years total, 185 to 300
  • Darylann
    Darylann Posts: 9 Member
    Yes it is kind of crazy when you think about how weight gain gradually comes on over the years. Eating an extra meal or losing sight of portion control can have significant effects over time. When I figured my total gain over a 31 year time period ...it was roughly 4lbs a year that I gained and that seems insignificant until one day you wake up 125lbs heavier.