What happened to the January Rush

Replies

• Ibeachlover
    Ibeachlover Posts: 66 Member
    We call them the "new year resolutioners" . They come in and most do way too much for just starting out (again). Some fall out with a few weeks; others a month or two later; then some hang on. Gyms like it as most hesitate to cancel their membership that quickly so they keeping paying for awhile. I go mid to late morning and have noticed a few new faces. However, it is probably more late afternoon into the evening, that newbies come in after work.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Char231023 wrote: »
    No my gym has been packed since Jan 2 with the resolutioners (is that a word). I am thinking by March the heard should be cleared out.

Should we be hoping for this? Shouldn't we all be happy there are more humans taking care of their health?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    No my gym has been packed since Jan 2 with the resolutioners (is that a word). I am thinking by March the heard should be cleared out.

Should we be hoping for this? Shouldn't we all be happy there are more humans taking care of their health?

Meh
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member

you new to this?

LOLOLOL

i tend to go around 8 in the morning. theres more than usual, but already starting to decline.

i would bet the after work crowd is also busier (for now)
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    My gym is less than a month old and I joined yesterday so it is still pretty empty.
  • maria0104
    maria0104 Posts: 64 Member
    Ours is pretty usual stuff.

What surprised me was our local supermarket.

In the days after new year usual foods I get are so hard to get hold of (£1 bags of stir fry vegetables, lean meats, cottage cheese) but this year they had yellow labelled and reduced them all because they'd put them out and there was no demand! Good for me though!
  • calbadger
    calbadger Posts: 283 Member
    There was a slight increase at our gym, with "newbies" in their brand-new workout gear. My wife and I made sure to wear our older stuff. ;)

Oh well, most of them will still keep paying dues and not show up, which makes it more reasonable for those of us who do.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    They're all here on MFP, in full force - asking about bulletproof coffee, garcinia, green tea, and how many pounds they can lose in the next 10 days. Being in the gym takes too much work.

What if I mix 50/50 green tea and bulletproof coffee and only eat between the hours of 10am and 2pm with 12 small meals to boost my metabolism while wearing spanx and go low-carb gluten-free calories don't count while eaten if I'm standing up. Also I'm in a plateau since I lost 30 lbs two days ago but haven't lost any yet since then, so obviously plateau. Do I still have to go to the gym then?

• Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    edited January 2016
    They're all here on MFP, in full force - asking about bulletproof coffee, garcinia, green tea, and how many pounds they can lose in the next 10 days. Being in the gym takes too much work.

What if I mix 50/50 green tea and bulletproof coffee and only eat between the hours of 10am and 2pm with 12 small meals to boost my metabolism while wearing spanx and go low-carb gluten-free calories don't count while eaten if I'm standing up. Also I'm in a plateau since I lost 30 lbs two days ago but haven't lost any yet since then, so obviously plateau. Do I still have to go to the gym then?

You should go to the gym but only take selfies while using the equipment, or you'll risk starvation mode
  • KPC0629
    KPC0629 Posts: 39 Member
    My gym has been a mad house. Good on them for trying, but it's the same every year - they'll be gone by March, usually a handful stick it out and join the "regular" crowd.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member

YES!!! But you have to do more reps at lower weight or you'll bulk up and lose all your progress.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    My gym is noticably busier - but the bulk of the increased activity confine themselves to elliptical machines and treadmills, so I haven't been terribly affected.

At worst, it's making the relatively small locker room a bit more cramped

Me too. The cardio population is larger but not much new in the weight section, which suits me just fine. There was a bit more of a traffic jam at the showers however. If I have to start getting there before 6am to ensure I can get my shower I'm gonna be pissed!

• 20months
    20months Posts: 62 Member

Word!
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    The walking trails thinned out when the temps dipped below 50F here. It was 1F yesterday, I saw no one. There weren't even tracks in the drifted snow, except for from the random rabbit, mink, or pheasant.
  • lucyee
    lucyee Posts: 32 Member
    Mine has been really busy weekday evenings - the cardio machines, the weights and the classes - it's always been a pretty busy gym, so I'm thinking they're going to need to extend it in some way, if many of these people stick with it. In the meantime, I think I might need to go back to early mornings for a month or so.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    I go at 4:30 in the morning so I haven't seen much change, but I drop my son off at another fitness center for indoor soccer around 5 pm, and its been so bad there that I can rarely find a place in the entire huge lot to park.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Hard to tell if the gym is busier because I only just started going back in January, too--I'm not a resolutioner, but it was nice enough to run outside here until just recently.

I have seen some *interesting* people there since I've been back though... The dude with his 12 year old son, both running on treadmills next to me. Dad made a point of announcing his speed (which, incidentally was always 0.1 mph faster than what I was running) and his son would up his speed to match. The kid was hanging on for dear life--so dangerous.

Then there was the woman who was on the treadmill in full makeup, skin tight jeans, and sparkly Uggs. I think she might be a stripper. Not to mention she bathed herself in nasty perfume before she came to the gym. I wanted to take a picture of her to show my husband but unfortunately she was gone before I could grab my iPhone.

I'll be happy when they all go away, though I will probably be back outside by April, too.
  • Andee2000
    Andee2000 Posts: 31 Member

I think it is great that people are trying. I agree with you.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Protranser wrote: »

You should go to the gym but only take selfies while using the equipment, or you'll risk starvation mode

YES!!! But you have to do more reps at lower weight or you'll bulk up and lose all your progress.

Thanks guys. So I should be good if I lift my selfie stick. I plan on doing this inside the power rack. I'm also gonna try the taco cleanse. Will keep you all posted.
  • DefyGravity1977
    DefyGravity1977 Posts: 300 Member
    I'm holding off until the "Resolution" crowd has evened out and working out at work using the stairs.