Ready for cleaner eating???

2»

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    @eebrahim11, Eating cleaner IS the way to go. You have the right idea. I started this journey in late August, 2015, at 230 lbs and am currently at 176, with a goal of 140 lbs. I credit consistent clean eating and exercise for my loss. Processed foods are junk with little or no nutritional value. When you are limiting your calories, why waste them on junk? They definitely make you feel more hungry and are usually more calorie dense. Yes, it is ok to have a splurge now and then, but try not to depend on eating processed foods daily. Clean eating includes good proteins (small portions of grass fed beef, free range chicken, cage free eggs, Greek yogurt, nuts, real cheese, not the processed crud, etc.), organic vegetables, fruits, steel cut oats, a bit of steamed brown rice, etc. I am 64 years old and haven't felt this good in many years! I have also gone gluten free, as I have Hashimotos hypothyroid disease (an autoimmune underactive thyroid disease) that may make a person's body react negatively to gluten. While this has been personally beneficial to me - it is specific to a person with that type of condition. Everyone doesn't necessarily need to go gluten free. You don't have to eat the same things every day. You'll find so many fresh alternatives. Sometime it is good to have a fallback breakfast for those times when you are in a hurry, but you might want to have three or four "fallback" breakfasts just to shake things up. Lots of water is important to your plan, as others have mentioned. Good luck with everything!

I'm glad you've found something that is working for you. Can I ask, what is unprocessed cheese? Doesn't all cheese require some type of processing to become cheese?

She could possibly have access to milking cows.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    @eebrahim11, Eating cleaner IS the way to go. You have the right idea. I started this journey in late August, 2015, at 230 lbs and am currently at 176, with a goal of 140 lbs. I credit consistent clean eating and exercise for my loss. Processed foods are junk with little or no nutritional value. When you are limiting your calories, why waste them on junk? They definitely make you feel more hungry and are usually more calorie dense. Yes, it is ok to have a splurge now and then, but try not to depend on eating processed foods daily. Clean eating includes good proteins (small portions of grass fed beef, free range chicken, cage free eggs, Greek yogurt, nuts, real cheese, not the processed crud, etc.), organic vegetables, fruits, steel cut oats, a bit of steamed brown rice, etc. I am 64 years old and haven't felt this good in many years! I have also gone gluten free, as I have Hashimotos hypothyroid disease (an autoimmune underactive thyroid disease) that may make a person's body react negatively to gluten. While this has been personally beneficial to me - it is specific to a person with that type of condition. Everyone doesn't necessarily need to go gluten free. You don't have to eat the same things every day. You'll find so many fresh alternatives. Sometime it is good to have a fallback breakfast for those times when you are in a hurry, but you might want to have three or four "fallback" breakfasts just to shake things up. Lots of water is important to your plan, as others have mentioned. Good luck with everything!

I'm glad you've found something that is working for you. Can I ask, what is unprocessed cheese? Doesn't all cheese require some type of processing to become cheese?

Sure, but doesn't the process of milk to cheese require processing? Adding bacteria and stuff? I don't know, I'm not a cheese manufacturer, I just know I like it and it fits my goals, so win!
  • sparrish531
    sparrish531 Posts: 499 Member
    I am with you! Began growing vegetables using the square foot garden method, eating a majority of our veggies from there, bartering some for pasture raised poultry and eggs. I am trying to use more foods that do not have an ingredient list and eat lower on the food chain.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member

Sure, but doesn't the process of milk to cheese require processing? Adding bacteria and stuff? I don't know, I'm not a cheese manufacturer, I just know I like it and it fits my goals, so win!

Yep, you're right. NVM
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member

Yep, you're right. NVM

:kissing_heart:
  • elimar105
    elimar105 Posts: 11 Member
    Sorry I've been MIA for a bit--busy week. Love all these ideas! I am going to start with eating at least one clean meal (no processed foods) each day. I'll post my meal each day to be held accountable on this thread. Thanks guys!!!!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2016
    I find this post interesting. For starters eating "clean" means different different thing to most. Let me throw in a joke here, there is no dirty food...LOL Food is food.

Someone along clean eating lines is going to have something or even a lot of things processed, For example, creamer for my coffee, deli meat, frozen chicken breast, cheese, bread, frozen berries, ice cream, yogurt, etc. etc.. All if these things comes in a package (tub, bag, or maybe wrapped in plastic). These have all been processed to keep in the freezer, shelf or ridge.

I would like to hope that most every one who chooses to eat healthier (did not say clean) does lean toward buying all fresh fruits and veggies when available or more important in season. Fresh is not always the solution as it goes bad pretty quickly. Those on a budget would find this drastically horrible to the wallet.

I buy a lot frozen vegetables because fresh does not last long in the fridge and if I do not plan to use it in the couple of days after I buy it, it gets wasted and thrown away.

I am back to eating a deficit and I eat tons and I do mean a lot of veggies, fruits, lean meats, every single day and think I have my diet pretty well dialed in, but I still buy things frozen, packaged and even things that come in plastic bags or a tub where it has gone through something to preserve it. In the winter time where I live trying to find a decent zucchini that does not look like it has been lost on the truck for months is hard...

My three cents worth, as this eating clean thing does mean a lot of different things to other people, I guess you could say I did throw out the poptarts but I still replaced with a yummy cereal that comes in a box, packaged and processed to sit on my shelf.

Best of luck..

• JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 831 Member
    I am very much a 'clean eater' but by circumstance rather than it being my specific goal. I still eat diary, which is processed but its currently organic (I live in an organic household and have no control over the shopping). My aims are to eat a decent breakfast (usually eggs yogurt, sometimes some fruit or half an avocado) and a veggie heavy lunch and dinner with a protein. I do this because I love veggies, and because it sets me up for weightloss with out hunger!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    If it helps you stick to your calorie defecit that's great

If you're still not losing after 6 weeks of accurately weighing and logging your foods then you may need to adjust your calories downwards (or increase your activity / exercise) to ensure you are still in defecit

Types of food are important for nutritional health but once you have met macro and micro nutrient targets there's minimal added benefit .. personally I choose not to restrict by types of food but only because that's what works for me

good luck
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    I am all for eating healthier, but this "clean eating" thing kind of makes me crazy. So clean eating means eating unprocessed foods right? So that means pasteurized milk is out because it's been processed, and I don't know about most of you, but getting raw milk here can be really difficult in the US. It means yogurt is out, even the very healthy one I make at home that only has two ingredients, because it has also been processed. So wouldn't "clean eating" just mean eating fruit and veg just picked and nothing else?

I'm really not trying to be a jerk. But I honestly just don't get it.