Cauliflower$$$

Options
13»

Replies

• Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Ok, I do apologize if my comment came off hurtful. I should have prefaced it by saying that I personally don't like cauliflower as a substitute for potatoes or rice. But there is also nothing wrong with potatoes, even diabetics can get away with sweet potatoes or white potatoes in smaller amounts than the rest of the population.
  • sissidevore
    sissidevore Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    cauliflower is cheap where i live. i live in a farming state, that has gotten rain for months now. not sure how calif grow, but i think our rain might have something to do with it. i think its about .90 per head around here (united states dollar). do you have an aldis? they have really cheap produce, if not try frozen.
  • shathaway123
    shathaway123 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Just cut off the black spots
    But seriously $5 a head is supercaulifraudulisticpricegouginglyatrocious

• shathaway123
    shathaway123 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    True that!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't like canned tuna. I wouldn't jump into a thread about it and ridicule others' use of it or use of adjectives to describe it. Because no one cares that I don't like canned tuna.

I really hate canned tuna and usually say nothing about it, but if people were going on about how canned tuna was just like tuna steak or a great sub for salmon I might mention that I hate it and love those other foods.

I love cauliflower (it's about $5 a head here at the moment, which is worth it to me--everything is off-season), but I HATE it when people claim its a great sub for potatoes (which I love) or rice (which I like much less than cauliflower), let alone the pizza crust thing. Sure cauliflower is great, but not because it can pretend to be other foods.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    I finally decided to try the recipe for cauliflower fried rice. Yesterday I went to my nearest Winco, and cauliflower was $5.00 a head!! There was even little black spots on them. Needless to say I did not purchase any. Whats up with that?

What about farmers market?

In January? Most of us, I think, do not live in a climate where that's possible.

Oh, our farmers market is year round. Will it have fresh veg? Obviously not.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    ald783 wrote: »
    It really isn't a substitute for rice, or hash browns, or whatever monstrosities others make out of it that are meant to replace potatoes and other starches.
    Considering how many recipes there are for faux dishes using it, it must be an acceptable substitute for many people. It probably helps if you like the flavor of cooked cauliflower and are not too picky about textures.

I don't mind that other people use cauliflower in different dishes, I just don't think it's accurate to say that cauliflower is an amazing rice or potatoe substitute, because it isn't. I've tried cauliflower hash browns, cauliflower cheese bakes, cauliflower rice, cauliflower mashed potatoes, cauliflower pizza crust, etc. But it's a poor substitute for starchy foods. Maybe that's just me, IDK.

The other thing is, I find nothing wrong with eating potatoes. They're fiberous and full of potassium.

I don't like it much as a sub for potatoes or flour, either, but I get tired of hearing people who DO like it as a substitute ridiculed. Maybe that wasn't your intent. Saying "It's not a substitute in whatever monstrosities..." sounds like "I'm the authority", not "this is my opinion but, hey, enjoy".

Nothing wrong with potatoes, nothing wrong with flour, but nothing wrong with people trying to get more veggies and less potatoes and flour in their diets in whatever ways appeal to them.

That's exactly how I feel. And cauliflower is a veggie with a lot of nutrients and health benefits so it's not like people are swapping in some kind of chemically enhanced plastic in lieu of the real stuff (and even if they wanted to, so be it, eat what you want to eat, people). It took me some time to come around to cauliflower but now one of my favorite things about it is its versatility. And I actually find that cauliflower "rice" tastes really similar to a grain, but more like cous cous or quinoa than rice. In the end they're both fairly bland in flavor so it sort of boils down to what texture you make it into.

Lately I've been into baked buffalo cauliflower bites which would not work well with frozen cauliflower, unfortunately, so I've been sucking it up and paying $5 for a small head. My grocery store said it had to do with the weather in Mexico. Not sure how long that will affect production.

Agreed. I like cauliflower (and potatoes).

There's a dish served at a local Indian restaurant around here that's cauliflower fritters served with a sauce like Chinese-style sweet and sour pork but spicier (an Indian/Chinese hybrid). It's called Gobi Manchurian. It's delicious and constantly making it on local newspaper top lists. I'm sure a bunch of people around here would clutch their pearls and insist that it's no substitute for pork, but I mention it because you might like it and it's probably pretty similar to your buffalo bites.

gobi_manchurian.jpg

I'll look for that. I made this recently, and it was very good. She's a recent MasterChef contestant.
    http://www.prettypolymath.com/2015/07/14/vegan-buffalo-wings/
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    First mistake is buying any produce at Winco!
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    The other day at Trader Joe's, cauliflower was $1.99/head. I bought it:)

Probably not from the US, avoiding the price hike :)