Girls eating over 1500 cals and losing

Options
1235»

Replies

• kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Hello, I've only been logging for about two weeks. But I am losing (diary is currently private) while eating sometimes as many as 2200 calories per day. I have always been better at exercising a lot as opposed to cutting back on food. So I do my morning yoga, eat as I normally would (vegetarian, lots of whole grains and beans) although sometimes limiting the cheese and butter a bit, and usually end up with 200-300 calories left before dinner.

I do a rough estimate of what my dinner will be (often close to 800 calories!), then exercise enough to work it off beforehand. Takes maybe 70-80 minutes doing high-intensity cardio like step aerobics, mixed martial arts cardio DVDs, running intervals on the treadmill, or urban rebounding. I try to mix it up to avoid injury.

If I end up with like 500 extra calories from exercise or something, even after dinner, I'll just have an extra snack or dessert. I figure I've earned it. And I'm much more likely to stick with this if I don't feel deprived.

Not doing much strength training at the moment (some kettlebells) because I am a bit tired of Tony Horton after a couple of rounds of P90X and P90X3 but I did buy a home gym (delivery on Saturday) and a 300-lb Olympic weight set (fiance will be using it too, and the plates work with the home gym cables) so I will be getting into that soon.

Anyway, seems to be working so far. Much better than past efforts, at any rate. Tomorrow is official weigh-in day and it looks like I'll be down another pound or so from my week 2 efforts. May not be for everyone, but I have the time and the equipment and an entire room dedicated to exercise in the basement, so it works for me.

That sounds really awesome! I'm doing yoga in the morning also, but unfortunately my office/workout room is on the 2nd floor so no heavy things allowed.
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Add me
  • jadechabs
    jadechabs Posts: 4 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Thank you for posting this
  • jadechabs
    Options
    Thank you for posting this
  • Hastalabeastababy
    Hastalabeastababy Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I average between 1500-1700. Have lost about 8 pounds so far.
  • animalldy
    animalldy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I eat 1700 on rest days (2x week) and 1800 on active days (5x week) with a few splurges here and there, and am losing .8lbs/week. My TDEE is about 2200.
  • sowaj13
    sowaj13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi all! After being sick of eating just 1500 cal a day (girl likes to eat!) I finally started exercising and eating back my exercise calories.

However, I'm having trouble confirming whether or not eating back calories is too much...I run on a treadmill for about 35 mins (at about 10 min mile, usually plus some hills), lift weights (not extremely heavy...maybe squat 30 pounds), and then bike 20 mins. With just my cardio calories factored in, I usually end up burning around 400 cals (between what MFP is telling me and what the treadmill/bike is telling me). This is all 6 days a week. I eat pretty clean but allow one cheat day and VERY occasionally small amounts of chocolate let into the house.

Eating back most of my calories put me at consuming about 1800 a day (total, not net), but doing this, I plateaued. This week I'm doing the same amount of gym stuff but eating back less calories from exercise, but I'm always hungry! Anybody have some tips?

Additionally - does anybody know if MFP uses BMR or TDEE in their calorie allowances? I'm assuming so...

• jadechabs
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Thank you for posting this :smile: I've just worked out my TDEE. My daily calorie amount is much more sustainable long term!
  • karwowski1992
    karwowski1992 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I eat 1750! Feel sorry for those eating 1200 cals. Never again.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I lost 26lbs back in 2014 eating 1750 (TDEE was 2300 down to 2000 at my lightest). I'm now losing the last few pounds from a recomp-turned-slight bulk. I'm eating an average of 1850, TDEE is currently around 2100-2200.

Sure, I could eat less, but I don't like to feel punished. Plus, I like wine. And tacos. I'm in no rush.
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Sure, I could eat less, but I don't like to feel punished. Plus, I like wine. And tacos. I'm in no rush.
    Yep! <3
  • dw920
    dw920 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    I only WISH I could eat that much and breastfeed my 2.5 month old and lose weight :( I'm struggling so hard Bc I feel like no matter what I do, while I breast feed my body won't drop weight...I've tried everything!

I had the same issue with all three of my children. While I didn't find anything that worked at the time, I've since learned about my body type dietary suggestions based on that. Looking back, I also wish I would have had info about increasing healthy fats and decreasing carbs....not to ketosis, but just in general. As a former La Leche leader, I can see how it might benefit the breastfeeding process for mother and baby.

Me too! Breastfeeding I was CRAVING simple carbs! Cravings while BFIng were worse than any cravings during any of my 3 pregnancies. It was terrible. I was gaining weight while BFing. Here I am 6m PP having to burn it all off.

Yessss, breastfeeding makes you HANGRY! haha. I think it's important to eat when you're hungry, and eat enough to keep a healthy milk supply, but you have to be very mindful of WHAT you're eating, like you said. With my first daughter, I probably could have lost the weight MUCH faster if I hadn't eaten/drank so many empty calories (soft drinks and sweets were my main issue). Once I started tracking my calories and focused on getting good fats, proteins, and lots of fruits and veggies, the weight came off pretty quickly, especially with the boost I got from nursing.

This time I started tracking my food earlier on, and am really trying to drinks a ton of water and lay off the junk. :)
  • PeiDub
    PeiDub Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm at about 1850. Anyone feel free to add.