Stone????WHAT!?

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    tw22ve8qm29s.jpg

This is the usual turnip here. Are you referring to another vegetable? (I expect there are various colors, but the most common ones are white with some purple of the outside.)
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    edited January 2016
    Go to Scotland. Deep fry all of the things there, including meat pies, Mars bars and pizza. I'm Scottish now living in England where they don't deep fry as many things. Fried food is delicious

In the words of the late Andy M. Stewart: "Scotland is one of the very few places left, where cigarettes and fried breakfasts are still good for you."

I'm really enjoying this thread. Unfortunately, I think I've gained 10 pounds just reading it. :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    It's just making me mad that only 2 seasons of the British Bake-Off show are available here.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    It's just making me mad that only 2 seasons of the British Bake-Off show are available here.

That would make me sad too @lemurcat12
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member

The most recent winner is my favourite. Best face ever.
  • wrenak
    wrenak Posts: 144 Member
    wrenak wrote: »
    I've only had one pasty in my life. It came from the Scottish Highland Games last summer. It was dry, tough, and lacking in flavor. Completely not what I imagined them to be. Please tell me that was not the norm!

Quoting 'cause I'd really like to know.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I've only had one pasty in my life. It came from the Scottish Highland Games last summer. It was dry, tough, and lacking in flavor. Completely not what I imagined them to be. Please tell me that was not the norm!

Quoting 'cause I'd really like to know.

Not the norm at all. Just a bad caterer by the sounds of it!
  • Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    Absolutely not the norm; a proper pasty is the food of the gods.
  • Sued0nim
    'specially when eaten on a windy beach
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    Okay, scrolled up thread and found someone saying clotted cream=custard. nvm people I am learning how to read.

it is not custard

it's a very, very, very thick cream .. thicker than whipped

Is this your way of saying I really must come over for dinner? English is the hardest language.

Come.. come .. I'll make you burgers
    Yes!
  • _Terrapin_
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Alidecker wrote: »
    Can one of the Brits answer a family question for me. My grandma made pasties for us, basically pie dough, meat, potatos and onions. Is that the normal or is there something else in them? My great grandma was from Cornwall....so maybe they are different all over? Maybe it isn't a thing anymore?

Pasties are a national favourite and, to me, Cornish pasties are the pinnacle. Traditionally eaten by miners, they have meat, potato, carrot, swede and onion. Pastry is usually crimped on the top and thicker at the ends to give the workmen something to hold onto without getting the rest of the pastie dirty. Nom.

Wait here while I go get a patent for Chicken Pot Pie Hot Pockets"...

It's usually beef. Lamb as a close runner up.

That's something else it seems like y'all do well. America needs to eat more lamb (stuff ain't cheap tho!).

I eat lamb a bunch (in the US). The UK definitely seems to be better with savory pies, though (I say while thinking specifically of the Bake-Off show).

We are very good at putting meat into pastry containers. Very very good. So now I want a pasty and a pie.

I would like it if there was a cultural exchange where we get all your sweet pies and you get all our savoury (with correct spelling, heh) ones.

I saw a British foodie show where they were making the pasty shell and then stacking the 'meat pie' on top of each other. It looked very good.

• _Terrapin_
    Pork and crackling is basically a skin on/fat on joint of pork, well seasoned with salt and roasted. There's a bit of an art to crackling but it's the skin all baked and crisped up. It is a thing of wondrous delicious beauty. Did a 4-5 person joint as a friend wanted crackling just before Christmas and we ate all the crackling just between the two of us. Also, if you can, do potatoes roasted in goose or duck fat. Ermagherd. Heaven on a plate. I could happily eat roast dinner every night given the chance.
    Okay, how are you getting the duck fat? Couple local hunters still hunt for duck. A trade of beer for duck breast and I'm in. I must be doing something wrong because.....wait. Do you get the whole bird?

• Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    'specially when eaten on a windy beach

This is what my family did on Boxing Day. Usually we have pasties for Christmas dinner on the Purbeck hills, but this year the weather wouldn't play.
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    You need to JFGI that. If you don't know what JFGI is, look it up in Google.
  • Sued0nim
    Pork and crackling is basically a skin on/fat on joint of pork, well seasoned with salt and roasted. There's a bit of an art to crackling but it's the skin all baked and crisped up. It is a thing of wondrous delicious beauty. Did a 4-5 person joint as a friend wanted crackling just before Christmas and we ate all the crackling just between the two of us. Also, if you can, do potatoes roasted in goose or duck fat. Ermagherd. Heaven on a plate. I could happily eat roast dinner every night given the chance.
    Okay, how are you getting the duck fat? Couple local hunters still hunt for duck. A trade of beer for duck breast and I'm in. I must be doing something wrong because.....wait. Do you get the whole bird?

Duck and goose fat is sold in jars ...purely for the roast tatties
  • _Terrapin_

Duck and goose fat is sold in jars ...purely for the roast tatties

Aha. Makes sense.

• Praying_Mantis
    Praying_Mantis Posts: 239 Member
    threadmad wrote: »
    nikinuu wrote: »
    That picture of soggy bread turned my stomach a little bit those 'biscuits' arnt sweet are they?? If they are savoury guess it's just like us eating beans on toast are they toasted? Am I missing something? I must be

Not any sweeter than bread. And no, not toasted but preferrably fresh baked.

Hahaha oh Carlos, for most of us, bread isn't sweet. 'Murica.

Properly made American biscuits shouldn't be sweet at all.

Agree, and neither should cornbread. Cuz honey butter.

I grew up in the South, raised on real cornbread and real grits. Never had sweet cornbread until my 30s. Never have liked it.
    Grits with butter, salt, & pepper, never sugar. My grandpa would shake his head in genuine grief when he saw non southerners putting sugar on grits.

And my husband is a Brit. Been married almost 30 years, and sometimes I still don't understand him. <wink wink>

ETA. He introduced me to mushy peas

Niiice! And agree -- Dad's from Texarkana. In fact I remember him crumbling up his cornbread into a glass of milk and eating the concoction with a long-handled teaspoon. Ordinarily I'd just say teaspoon, not to be confused with, you know, a measuring teaspoon.

Oh, and sliced cantaloupe is salted & peppered. Salt on watermelon sometimes, too.
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    Jbell0213 wrote: »
    We live in the past. Don't mind us.

shhh...it's nicer here, we have bone china and scones too

I Love scones. My hubby makes from scratch white chocolate and cranberry. Yummy.

So wrong. Plain for cream teas, cheese scones when you need something beautifully savoury, raisins in a fruit scone if you must, but anything else, no no no.
  • Nanogg55
    Nanogg55 Posts: 275 Member
    edited January 2016
    Can someone recommend a good recipe for english roasted potatoes? They sound delicious.
    ETA-I JFG it but there are a lot of recipes came up!
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Nanogg55 wrote: »
    Can someone recommend a good recipe for english roasted potatoes? They sound delicious.
    ETA-I JFG it but there are a lot of recipes came up!

Part of the British tradition is that everybody's mum makes the best roasties. Every one of them does it differently too. Fortunately, for a consistent recipe we all have an Aunt Bessie...