Hi! Low carb'ers out there

2»

Replies

• neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    wellis1 wrote: »
    Grateful to hear from everyone! Question - how do you determine what your daily carb limit should be? Some are saying 80, some 50, and some as low as 30? How do you know where to be?

It may depend on why you are eating low carb. My carb level is set by my blood glucose meter. If it screams (above 140), I can't eat whatever made it scream. It screams at about 20 carbs within a 3 hour period.

Sustainability (as another poster has suggested) is another way to gauge - that has a wide range, depening mostly on personal tastes. If your intent is to convert to fat for energy, rather than carbs, that usually takes below 50 or so.

There is a wide range in the low carb forum. Low carbs can be a hot button issue out here, but the folks in the low carb forum are a pretty supportive bunch of a wide range of definitions and experimentation to find what works for you.
  • wellis1
    wellis1 Posts: 8 Member
    wellis1 wrote: »
    Grateful to hear from everyone! Question - how do you determine what your daily carb limit should be? Some are saying 80, some 50, and some as low as 30? How do you know where to be?

Its often recommended to start low and go higher if your body tolerates it. I do 20.

I use this website to figure out my macros : http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

I am currently at

1357 kcal Daily Calorie Intake
    20 g Carbs (6%, 80 kcal)
    93 g Protein (27%, 372 kcal)
    101 g Fat (67%, 905 kcal)

This means, aim to hit your protein goal, stay under your carbs, and eat as much fat as you need to feel full - up to 101 grams. Fat makes you feel full so you often do not hit that number. Which means less calories :)

Ok that makes sense on eating fat. Trying to keep fat down too is not working.
  • wellis1
    wellis1 Posts: 8 Member
    Made it down to 62 net carbs today! Felt great, full all day with energy. I do have to admit that I would have been lower if not for the 2 glasses of white wine I had this evening. Trust me, I needed them!
  • jenika127
    jenika127 Posts: 10 Member
    edited February 2016
    Hey everyone! Feel free to add or message me! :smile: I've been eating low carb (keto) for 2 years now and have lost 60 lbs with 35 more to go! Like many of you I also have Insulin resistance and PCOS, so I understand the struggle!! Everyone is definitely different but for me it wasn't until my endocrinologist put me down to under 15 net carbs a day that the cravings stopped and the weight started to come off. Working out and moving more also really helped. Been doing it ever since and have never felt better!!! :smiley: