Oatmeal Help!

124»

Replies

• Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    I've been cooking my oatmeal lately in half almond milk half apple juice instead of water. A pinch of salt, some cinnamon and vanilla. I add bananas and dates or raisins or cranberries. I love it, but I agree if oatmeal isn't your thing go ahead and try something else for breakfast!
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    I add peanut butter into my oatmeal. Its yummy. I usually like strawberry flavored oatmeal with a spoonful of PB, but it tastes fine with plain oatmeal as well.

Oatmeal is also good if you mix chocolate protein powder into it or use chocolate soy/almond milk instead of water to make it.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Put it dry into yogurt at night (1/3 cup into 6 ounces plain fat free yogurt). Add a spoon of canned pumpkin, a shake of cinnamon, a few nuts, and 5-6 dried cherries. Cover. Next morning add a spoon and go.
  • asimms221
    asimms221 Posts: 22 Member
    I just add milk... my palette is boring.
  • nettasaura
    nettasaura Posts: 173 Member
    I soak mine the night before in a traditional manner. 48g oats, 15g cultured buttermilk, 1/8 tsp salt, 4 oz water, soak for at least 12 hours before cook and add an additional 4 oz water once ready to cook. I can't eat them if I don't prepare them like this beforehand because they irritate my stomach if I just cook them straight. I add raw honey, cultured butter, half and half, and cinnamon. Peanut butter and/or cocoa powder are optional.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    ejbronte wrote: »
    I like to grind up into a flour and make tortillas out of it: just add a little water at a time to the flour till you can turn it into a rough dough, then roll it flat between two pieces of plastic wrap or wax paper with a rolling pin. Toss it onto a hot pan, give it a couple of minutes, turn it over, give it a couple of beats more, then onto a plate with it. Just water and flour. No butter, no egg, no baking flour or soda.

I have enclosed a slice of cheese in it before tossing it onto the pan; also some thin-sliced roast turkey. For breakfast, I season up the flour with ground ginger and cinnamon. Sometimes PB2. Sometimes a little maple syrup.

Last weekend, I mixed the flour with a couple of bananas to make a sort of batter, smoothed it out in a small loaf pan, topped it with walnuts, flaked coconuts and raisins and let go in the oven at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes. A 2" slice of this comes to around 274 calories, according to the MFP calculator - together with a clementine orange, or an egg, that's a full breakfast for me. I'm going to be able to get 4 2" servings out of this cake/bread concoction.

@ejbronte This is Awesome! So creative :) What do you use to grind up the oats? Think I can get by with a blender or do I actually need a food processor to get it fine enough? I love love love all the MFP Oatmeal threads, always so full of fascinating new ideas. ;) Oatmeal tortillas..who'd a thunk! lol
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    This is Awesome! So creative :)[/b] What do you use to grind up the oats? Think I can get by with a blender or do I actually need a food processor to get it fine enough? I love love love all the MFP Oatmeal threads, always so full of fascinating new ideas. ;) Oatmeal tortillas..who'd a thunk! lol

I use this:
    amazon.com/gp/product/B00E4KLW3Q?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

It's around $30.00, and has lasted more than a year so far with no trouble: I've used it for the oatmeal, and also for flax seeds and various nuts. So far, no complaints, either from it or from me!

These oatmeal threads *are* great, aren't they! So many ideas!
  • Tammynado
    Tammynado Posts: 17 Member
    At the moment I use 1/3 cup oats, 1/3 cup premier protein vanilla drink (30 grams protein per bottle) and blend (I add in chia and flax seeds & cinnamon) and make into a pancake - I add 1 TB natural nut butter on top and half a banana... comes in under 300 calories.
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    A little bit of brown sugar of a few chocolate chips. I also like adding a small amount of Silk Vanilla Soy Milk.
  • Tnangaley
    Tnangaley Posts: 18 Member
    Steelcut oatmeal, walnuts, honey and ground flaxseed....yummy
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited January 2016
    My favorite lately - 1 serving of quick oats, 12g of chocolate PB2, 24g of chocolate protein powder, cooked in milk (1% is what I have). I microwave the oats and pb2 for 2 minutes then stir in the protein powder (I use Quest, it makes things thicker). So good. Using milk is totally worth the extra calories because it makes it creamier.
  • katarina005
    katarina005 Posts: 259 Member
    I put some peanut butter in mine with cinnamon and honey. I like the cinnamon and think the PB makes it creamy. I don't use milk and think it tastes fine.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    ejbronte wrote: »
    This is Awesome! So creative :)[/b] What do you use to grind up the oats? Think I can get by with a blender or do I actually need a food processor to get it fine enough? I love love love all the MFP Oatmeal threads, always so full of fascinating new ideas. ;) Oatmeal tortillas..who'd a thunk! lol

I use this:
    amazon.com/gp/product/B00E4KLW3Q?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

It's around $30.00, and has lasted more than a year so far with no trouble: I've used it for the oatmeal, and also for flax seeds and various nuts. So far, no complaints, either from it or from me!

These oatmeal threads *are* great, aren't they! So many ideas!

@ejbronte Thanks! This is awesome looking, love that you can grind to make flour, coffee beans, spices and so much more. I put it in my cart! :smiley: Really appreciate the link.