New things you've discovered recently

13»

Replies

• gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    I also have officially linked diet pop/soda with marked cravings, hunger and difficulty sticking to plan for up to 3 days. :( And that I can't eat more than 4 of my italian sausages that I eat as "junk food" without having bathroom problems due to the oat hull powder. I figured that's the "junk food" part in them but as it's likely just fiber carbs I should be ok. Apparently more than 4 provides a little too much fiber. :blush:
  • MerryOne00
    MerryOne00 Posts: 58 Member
    Sea salt in my afternoon BP tea! Who'da thunk it would taste so good, fill me up and then I feel great! No afternoon grogginess!
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    MerryOne00 wrote: »
    Sea salt in my afternoon BP tea! Who'da thunk it would taste so good, fill me up and then I feel great! No afternoon grogginess!

Nice. I love salt in everything lol. I put butter in my cup of boullion today, what a difference.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    edited January 2016

Nice. I love salt in everything lol. I put butter in my cup of boullion today, what a difference.

@MerryOne00 How does afternoon caffiene affect your sleep? Sounds yum but I think I would be up all night in a manic can not sleep phase, chatting online to all the USA folk who are still in daylight hours. Going to try hwc n butter for a change yo my bpc tomorrow.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

@MerryOne00 How does afternoon caffiene affect your sleep? Sounds yum but I think I would be up all night in a manic can not sleep phase, chatting online to all the USA folk who are still in daylight hours. Going to try hwc n butter for a change yo my bpc tomorrow.

Good question. I can't even have a cup of TEA after 3pm because I have trouble falling asleep. A cup of coffee would see me pinging off the walls and talking a mile a minute to anyone who'd listen :lol:

• LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    I've never been sensitive to caffeine and always have a cup of tea at night. However, I've really been struggling with insomnia since I went VLC. I'm wondering if it's made me sensitive to caffeine or it's just my body's reaction to all the extra energy.

I struggled with insomnia from age 5 to 35, which included 5 years on Ambien. I'd literally tried everything you could imagine and nothing worked. But after kicking the Ambien 5 years ago I sleep like a whole different person, that was until recently.

Have any other former insomniacs had a reoccurrence with this woe.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    I've never been sensitive to caffeine and always have a cup of tea at night. However, I've really been struggling with insomnia since I went VLC. I'm wondering if it's made me sensitive to caffeine or it's just my body's reaction to all the extra energy.

I struggled with insomnia from age 5 to 35, which included 5 years on Ambien. I'd literally tried everything you could imagine and nothing worked. But after kicking the Ambien 5 years ago I sleep like a whole different person, that was until recently.

Have any other former insomniacs had a reoccurrence with this woe.

Insomnia can be a side effect especially in the beginning. Some people find taking magnesium before bed to be helpful.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Caffeine seemingly has no effect on me. I'm sometimes have a cappuccino shortly before going to bed.

As to things I've discovered: Fairlife whole milk. Half the carbs of regular milk. I use it to make espresso beverages.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Ooh, @anglyn1, I do miss the lattes I used to make. I'll have to try some Fairlife! How is the taste?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    Caffeine seemingly has no effect on me. I'm sometimes have a cappuccino shortly before going to bed.

As to things I've discovered: Fairlife whole milk. Half the carbs of regular milk. I use it to make espresso beverages.

Man, I'm so jealous of all the cool stuff you guys can get in the U.S. The lowest carb milk I've been able to find has 9g per 250ml
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    @macchiatto I think it tastes pretty much like regular milk. My husband says it has a weird aftertaste but I don't notice. Maybe it's been too long since I've had real milk and I've never drank it without espresso. It steams and froths perfectly!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Nice, thanks!!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
  • MerryOne00
    MerryOne00 Posts: 58 Member
    I think I am middle of the road with caffeine sensitivity. I drink about 28 oz of coffee in the morning (before 9) and about 60 oz of tea in the mid day (10 - 3). I don't have any problems falling or staying asleep. I get 8 or 9 hours a night. A few months back, before Keto and before afternoon tea, I tried an afternoon coffee but that did cause me problems with restless sleep.

Now, I have good sleep, lots of Keto dreams but they don't bother me. I find it interesting all the places my mind wanders. So no late nights chats for me
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    I wish I could drink caffeinated beverages in the evenings. A nice latte before bed would be so awesome if it didn't prevent me from getting the rest I need. Speaking of which, my discovery was unsweetened almond/coconut milk, which is what I use to make lattes. :)
  • lowjax75
    lowjax75 Posts: 589 Member
    I'll have to throw "Heavy Tea" out there. It is awesome. I know many of you have heard me talk about it, but for those that haven't, I take a cup of stronger tea, typically a flavored black or herbal, and add 1 tbsp of Coconut Oil, 2 oz of Heavy Cream, and 1 tsp of unsweetened Cocoa powder. It turns many of teas into a dessert, just without the carbs or sweetness. One cup has 330 calories and will hold me until lunchtime.

I've tried it with Vanilla Mint Pu-Erh, Java Fusion Black, Cinnamon Plum Herbal, Berry Much Black, Creme Brullee Black, and even Fudge Brownie Black. Anything that Cocoa and Coconut would taste good in. I often add mint tea to the black tea when making it. Sometimes it tastes like a Mounds and other times like a Mint patty. All without the sugar. The cocoa, coconut, mint, and creaminess from the heavy cream all combine for an awesome combination.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Ok so I had a big day at work. Lots of technical and stressing activities. Interesting but difficult in terms of constantly alert. Had 630am BPC then at 11am I had a cappucino. It is 11pm and I am on here chattering away in a manic can not sleep manner as my dog peaceful snores nearby. Sticking to just the early bpc in future!