Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Are you a hard gainer, please read!

1910111315

Replies

  • Iain__FraserIain__Fraser Posts: 26Member Member Posts: 26Member Member
    Good thread this. Lots of ectomorphs out there like me then...
  • psuLemonpsuLemon Posts: 35,204Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium MFP Moderator Posts: 35,204Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium MFP Moderator
    Good thread this. Lots of ectomorphs out there like me then...

    As an FYI, somatotypes are not really a thing.
  • jofjltncb6jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,965Member Member Posts: 34,965Member Member
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    GregStone2 wrote: »
    GregStone2 wrote: »
    hI gain healthy weight you should eat whole sinle ingredient foods that have alot of calories rer each serving and 3 meals per day and lift heavy weights 2-4 days per week

    Not If sugar is on the ingredients list or or some type of sugar like cane sugar or frutose which is all added sugar' swill cause fat gain which cause all sorts of health problems and wont cause fat loss while trying to gain or maintain weightIm at a healthy weight 124 pounds and almost at my goal weight 127 or 128 and I'm want to quit the foods with the added sugars and just eat fruit and vegetables hard to over eat frutose just eating fruit and or vegetables and whole single ingredient foods animal and plant foods

    What?

    I ate added sugars while on this cut. (Although admittedly not as many of them in the last couple months only because I didn't have the caloric capacity to eat them and still hit my protein minimums and reasonably timed meals for my workouts.) My "go to" MRP had plenty of added sugars

    3vuorwx9ctam.jpeg

    TL;DR - added sugars don't make you fat. Too many calories do. (But there's some evidence that they may make someone AW on MFP. :wink: )

    Awwww....look at the giant pic of tinyJof.

    Isn't he cute...makes you want to pinch his widdle cheeks.
  • psuLemonpsuLemon Posts: 35,204Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium MFP Moderator Posts: 35,204Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium MFP Moderator
    jamezbond wrote: »
    Totally don’t agree with the ‘hard gainers are a myth ‘ statement. When I was in my 20s and pretty thin, the big guys of the gym is to say add some weight to the bar and you’ll grow. By the time I had a 500 pound deadlift, 450 squat and 300 bench, I had added weight to the bar. However, my weight was 165.

    Read the latest studies on exercise non-responders and excess cortisol production. We’re starting to see why some people don’t exhibit a typical hypertrophy response to the same program that another individual would.

    Link to the evidence? I can tell you that the people who struggle to put on size and/or weight all don't adequately control calories and/or follow a horribly designed lifting program. Once those parts of the equation are addressed, it's a non issue.

    Now, if you were like me when I was in my 20s, I was extremely active, which means for me to put on size, I would have needed 4 to 5k calories.
  • jseams1234jseams1234 Posts: 1,031Member Member Posts: 1,031Member Member
    jamezbond wrote: »
    Totally don’t agree with the ‘hard gainers are a myth ‘ statement. When I was in my 20s and pretty thin, the big guys of the gym is to say add some weight to the bar and you’ll grow. By the time I had a 500 pound deadlift, 450 squat and 300 bench, I had added weight to the bar. However, my weight was 165.

    Read the latest studies on exercise non-responders and excess cortisol production. We’re starting to see why some people don’t exhibit a typical hypertrophy response to the same program that another individual would.

    If you train primarily for strength and don't feed growth with a good hypertrophy program and calories/nutrition you won't get huge. However, strength can be quite extreme even for a man who "only" weighs 165 pounds.

    Current records for lifts (raw) for the 165 pound weight class in Powerlifting:

    712# Squat
    529# Bench
    760# Deadlift

    Btw: those number you quote as your personal best put you in the "elite" category of lifters for that body weight when it comes to strength standards. It should have taken you a number of years to achieve those lifts, especially if you where "pretty thin" to start with and even if you are an outlier when it comes to CNS adaptation and strength gains.

  • jofjltncb6jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,965Member Member Posts: 34,965Member Member
    jamezbond wrote: »
    Totally don’t agree with the ‘hard gainers are a myth ‘ statement. When I was in my 20s and pretty thin, the big guys of the gym is to say add some weight to the bar and you’ll grow. By the time I had a 500 pound deadlift, 450 squat and 300 bench, I had added weight to the bar. However, my weight was 165.

    Read the latest studies on exercise non-responders and excess cortisol production. We’re starting to see why some people don’t exhibit a typical hypertrophy response to the same program that another individual would.

    What happened when you consistently ate at a reasonable caloric surplus over a sufficient period of time?
  • dmulkey68dmulkey68 Posts: 12Member Member Posts: 12Member Member
    Hello everyone! I am looking to gain weight I would prefer it be more muscle, but I’ll take anything right now. I started using Apetamin on Sunday and have seen my appetite spark and I’ve increased my calorie intake significantly. Can anyone please give me a “beginners” weight lifting routine that I can ease into. I don’t want to add definition to my arms or back, I just want to bulk up my lower body, preferably legs and glutes(still want to look feminine). I just started exercising(abs and glutes) as well to counter-act the fat that comes with taking Apetamin. If anyone could help I would appreciate it!
  • Wheelhouse15Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,594Member Member Posts: 5,594Member Member
    dmulkey68 wrote: »
    Hello everyone! I am looking to gain weight I would prefer it be more muscle, but I’ll take anything right now. I started using Apetamin on Sunday and have seen my appetite spark and I’ve increased my calorie intake significantly. Can anyone please give me a “beginners” weight lifting routine that I can ease into. I don’t want to add definition to my arms or back, I just want to bulk up my lower body, preferably legs and glutes(still want to look feminine). I just started exercising(abs and glutes) as well to counter-act the fat that comes with taking Apetamin. If anyone could help I would appreciate it!

    I would just like to say, first off, that there is no way you will stop looking feminine on a good weight training program, that's a huge myth that we work hard to dispel. If you see a woman who "looks masculine" she is trying to look like that and has worked hard for years to get there and possibly is using drugs as well. Look around at the lifting women here and you will see they look amazing and absolutely feminine.

    Some of the beginner programs for women that seem popular right now are Strong Curves and anything by Bret Contreras, aka the Glute Guy, his web site is here https://bretcontreras.com/ I'm sure there will be others along shortly that can give you some more advice.

    Good luck to you.
  • GymTennisGymTennis Posts: 133Member Member Posts: 133Member Member
    A small caloric surplus and lifting some weights will do.
  • dmulkey68dmulkey68 Posts: 12Member Member Posts: 12Member Member
    Thanks @wheelhouse15 I will definitely check out that site!!
  • dmulkey68dmulkey68 Posts: 12Member Member Posts: 12Member Member

    GymTennis wrote: »
    A small caloric surplus and lifting some weights will do.

    Thanks, I’m sure I can find a weight lifting regimen that fits me!

  • fatcity66fatcity66 Posts: 1,556Member Member Posts: 1,556Member Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    jamezbond wrote: »
    Totally don’t agree with the ‘hard gainers are a myth ‘ statement. When I was in my 20s and pretty thin, the big guys of the gym is to say add some weight to the bar and you’ll grow. By the time I had a 500 pound deadlift, 450 squat and 300 bench, I had added weight to the bar. However, my weight was 165.

    Read the latest studies on exercise non-responders and excess cortisol production. We’re starting to see why some people don’t exhibit a typical hypertrophy response to the same program that another individual would.

    Link to the evidence? I can tell you that the people who struggle to put on size and/or weight all don't adequately control calories and/or follow a horribly designed lifting program. Once those parts of the equation are addressed, it's a non issue.

    Now, if you were like me when I was in my 20s, I was extremely active, which means for me to put on size, I would have needed 4 to 5k calories.

    My guy has gastroparesis. He's definitely an exception to the rule, but I would call him a hard gainer...he's 5'8" and fluctuates between 111-125 lbs. I know this is an old thread...just saying.
  • andreascjonssonandreascjonsson Posts: 425Member Member Posts: 425Member Member
    How often would you say its okay to eat "unhealthy" foods like pizza? Im a very small eater and only gained alot of weight becouse i was sitting down all day every day and pretty much lived on pizza,hamburgers and soucy pasta dishes . Now when i have started eating mostly rice,beans,eggs and some smaller amounts of meat i have a hard time even hitting my cutting goal and im currently sitting at too much of a deficit most days. So im kinda anxious becouse im almost at my bodyfat goal and when i hit it im gonna start bulking and i have no idea how i will hit my calorie goals.
    edited February 2018
  • DavidsdottirDavidsdottir Posts: 1,295Member Member Posts: 1,295Member Member
    How often would you say its okay to eat "unhealthy" foods like pizza? Im a very small eater and only gained alot of weight becouse i was sitting down all day every day and pretty much lived on pizza,hamburgers and soucy pasta dishes . Now when i have started eating mostly rice,beans,eggs and some smaller amounts of meat i have a hard time even hitting my cutting goal and im currently sitting at too much of a deficit most days. So im kinda anxious becouse im almost at my bodyfat goal and when i hit it im gonna start bulking and i have no idea how i will hit my calorie goals.

    I eat "unhealthy" foods pretty much daily. Today I had a burrito, Sunday I had pizza and a sundae, Saturday I had chips and salsa, a margarita, and a chimichanga. End of the day, it's all about CICO.

    ETA I eat more than my fair share of "healthy" food too, including lots of whole foods like veggies, grass fed meats, nuts, fruits, etc. Just saying it all fits.
    edited February 2018
  • Wheelhouse15Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,594Member Member Posts: 5,594Member Member
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    jamezbond wrote: »
    Totally don’t agree with the ‘hard gainers are a myth ‘ statement. When I was in my 20s and pretty thin, the big guys of the gym is to say add some weight to the bar and you’ll grow. By the time I had a 500 pound deadlift, 450 squat and 300 bench, I had added weight to the bar. However, my weight was 165.

    Read the latest studies on exercise non-responders and excess cortisol production. We’re starting to see why some people don’t exhibit a typical hypertrophy response to the same program that another individual would.

    Link to the evidence? I can tell you that the people who struggle to put on size and/or weight all don't adequately control calories and/or follow a horribly designed lifting program. Once those parts of the equation are addressed, it's a non issue.

    Now, if you were like me when I was in my 20s, I was extremely active, which means for me to put on size, I would have needed 4 to 5k calories.

    My guy has gastroparesis. He's definitely an exception to the rule, but I would call him a hard gainer...he's 5'8" and fluctuates between 111-125 lbs. I know this is an old thread...just saying.

    We aren't talking about medical issues here. Anyone with medical issues needs to speak with a doctor and RD as well as any other appropriate practitioners. Just because people here often recommend PB for weight gain doesn't mean we think people with allergies should do that.
  • singingfluteladysingingflutelady Posts: 8,637Member Member Posts: 8,637Member Member
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    jamezbond wrote: »
    Totally don’t agree with the ‘hard gainers are a myth ‘ statement. When I was in my 20s and pretty thin, the big guys of the gym is to say add some weight to the bar and you’ll grow. By the time I had a 500 pound deadlift, 450 squat and 300 bench, I had added weight to the bar. However, my weight was 165.

    Read the latest studies on exercise non-responders and excess cortisol production. We’re starting to see why some people don’t exhibit a typical hypertrophy response to the same program that another individual would.

    Link to the evidence? I can tell you that the people who struggle to put on size and/or weight all don't adequately control calories and/or follow a horribly designed lifting program. Once those parts of the equation are addressed, it's a non issue.

    Now, if you were like me when I was in my 20s, I was extremely active, which means for me to put on size, I would have needed 4 to 5k calories.

    My guy has gastroparesis. He's definitely an exception to the rule, but I would call him a hard gainer...he's 5'8" and fluctuates between 111-125 lbs. I know this is an old thread...just saying.

    Gastroparesis increases your CO ( you vomit a lot) and decreases your CI (who can eat a lot when nauseated and in pain all the time). Not many people with gastroparesis eat a lot. @fatcity66 what's his secret that he can eat 4000-5000 calories a day without vomiting and being in extreme pain?
  • jenniferallen8513jenniferallen8513 Posts: 6Member Member Posts: 6Member Member
    Thank you so much I can barley gain weight but it seem like I can loose weight so easy
  • SilkysausageSilkysausage Posts: 507Member Member Posts: 507Member Member
    I find it really hard to eat sometimes. I have digestive issues that cause me to but nauseated 80% of the time but doctors dont know why. I also cant eat certain foods (fatty, fried, spicy, nuts, seeds, greasy and sometimes just random foods). Im lactose intolerant but I have medication for that. The only formal diagnosis i have is GERD (acid reflex). Ive been having trouble gaining weight because i cant get enough calories. Any advice?

    Slippery Elm to coat the digestive tract and for spasms, high count pre/probiotics, psyllium husk if constipated, digestive enzymes. Gallbladder scan for stones.
    edited March 2018
  • Seth1825Seth1825 Posts: 528Member Member Posts: 528Member Member
    Ice cream shakes?
Sign In or Register to comment.