help me sort out my goals and things please

2»

Replies

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,398 Member
    I could probably deal with pre-cooked sausages! that sounds good :)

Some of those are really good. We had some made of chicken and pork a couple days ago. Super lean, almost 20g of protein in each, and tasty. We found a crock pot recipe with bagged navy beans, sausage, diced tomatoes, and some kale or spinach. Super easy, really hearty and filling, and we fed the three of us for like $7.

Canned beans have a lot of sodium usually, and cost a lot more. If you make beans from scratch they take a little longer, but they actually taste better without all the sodium too. I think a pound of bagged lentils was the cheapest thing per gram of protein I've found so far. Usually a pound bag is about 2 cups, so 80 grams of protein for $1.30.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    edited February 2016
    ^^^Yeah, lentils don't take nearly as long to cook, either. You don't have to soak them or anything. They are great for dinner. I do usually add meat but you don't have to for them to be yummy. Just make sure to have spices in your kitchen for bean meals (well, all meals ;) ). Chili mixes work great, too for beans if you like chili.

I agree on the other dried beans, too. They are so cheap and great in so many meals, and are easy to fix as long as you give enough time. I've started eating them with quinoa, and that really ups the protein as well.
  • mikek7214
    mikek7214 Posts: 29 Member
    @galgenstrick I definitely know better than to start out trying to lift a ton of weight, haha. I fully intend to start out with no weight at all just to figure out form and make sure I don't hurt myself. just the general positioning of the bar in squats seems awkward, never mind with weight on it. I'm still figuring out proper form for regular squats without any weight and I sometimes lose my balance doing them so it kinda makes me nervous.

definitely not on steroids.

thanks for the suggestions for programs for beginners! I would prefer a good website with lots of information about form since I have no money right now to buy a book.

so, I currently weigh 131 lbs, so if I am to eat 0.8 grams per pound I should be eating like 105 grams of protein a day? am I understanding your math right? my daily goal right now based on MFP's numbers for me is 60 grams and I never even come close to hitting that :o

If you're struggling with squats without the bar it's probably a balancing issue. I had that too. You may need to work on hip and hamstring mobility. But for now, if you cant squat a 45lb bar, then goblet squats are the way to go to teach you proper form. then work your way up to the bar.

Go on youtube and search for both Mike Matthews and Omar Isuf. They both have solid advice, so watch as many of their videos as you can. Steer clear of channels like AthleanX, and Mike Chan, they are scam artists and their advice is sub optimal or just wrong. Mike Matthews also has a website and a ton of articles on muscleforlife.com, they're worth reading and answering a lot of your questions. But as a warning, his website is pretty in your face, LOL.

For protein, you got the math right. It's that important of a macro nutrient that you should be hitting that number as best as possible. Work on eating lean meats, and lowfat / fat free dairy if you struggle hitting that number before going over on calories. Protein powder is great too, just make sure to get a good quality one and not some amino spiked junk.

I totally disagree with your comment that Athlean X is a scam. The comment is beyond ludicrous. Everybody has different goals. If you want to be ripped and in shape like an athlete, then he's your man. The guy knows more about physiology, physical therapy, and psychology than most of the so called experts. As you become older, the concern is function, strength, agility etc, and his programs hit the nail on the head.