My 600 Pound Life

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    I have trouble watching because I can empathize with a lot of them. Many suffered a traumatic experience and were unable to pull themselves out of the cycle of self-destruction because they couldn't get over the trauma and move on. If I had gone through what they had and had an enabler, I could see myself ending up in the same position. I see myself as fortunate because I don't have an enabler in my life and haven't suffered major trauma. I've gone through enough therapy that I feel like could make it through something now without turning to food and gaining extreme amounts of weight, but five years ago, I'm not sure I would have been able to get through it without my health suffering.

That being said, some have some severe personality disorders or traits that lack empathy for others and even their own bodies. Those people, the narcissists and the sociopaths, I cannot relate to so much and perhaps I can have some pity for them for their lack of empathy, but sympathy is hard because people like that have caused me a lot of pain in my life and I've only just managed to realize that I don't have to tolerate them.
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    Nice necro... :/

How do people even find 3 year old threads?? I guess the search function?
  • Kimmotion5783
    Kimmotion5783 Posts: 417 Member
    Yeah it's a pretty interesting show. I'm not really all that into reality shows, but this one is good because I find it motivating. On the one hand, it's sad to see these people in the terrible state that they're in. Their whole lives ahead of them, yet they are so heavy that they can't even get out of bed. It's just awful. But then they make that decision to save their lives and turn it all around. Some do, some don't. But the ones that give up and get on the drive thru line make me yell at the TV. Lol. Really, nobody should be eating that crap, especially them.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    So I have been watching all 7 seasons worth.. and its the same story.

I was thin when I was younger.
    I was abused in my teens ( sexually, mentally, physically)
    I copped by eating.
    I never learned to stop.
    Helpme Doctor Now.
    Doctor now says You lost 8 lbs. Your not following the diet.
    Patient says. You know nothing of my life.
    Next weigh in. --- Patient loses 50 lbs + ops. Doc now was right.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    @Commander_Keen I have watched all seasons too, almost done with the most recent and I have found many differences between the people on the show. Not everyone fails their first month. And a lot of them were not thin when they were younger - Sarah Neely's episode comes to mind. Not all of them argue with the doctor, some of them are in extreme denial, and also used to making up excuses, but a lot of them admit they know they didn't follow the diet and it was just a lot harder than they thought it was going to be, which is a good step in the process IMO.

Also, seeing such a pattern of abuse not only on this show but on shows like Intervention is a strong communicator to the world. I'll leave that at that.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Emi1974 wrote: »
    I believe I have watched an episode many months ago. I was so disappointed with the enablers. Often these people can't move, shop or cook for themselves. It is the family and friends who often feed them.

thats exactly why this show pisses me off and i refuse to watch it

I remember one episode where the kid brought his mother like an electric skillet and bacon to her bed so she could cook there. He was quite young so I wouldn't blaming him but there's a new reality they must get to that has so many psychological road blocks they will need to to fight back over. There's trauma and mental illness almost always, to varying degrees, and as I think we all know the support for such is lacking in a lot of the world.
  • Chelle8070
    Chelle8070 Posts: 163 Member
    This is definitely one of the very few "guilty pleasure" reality tv shows I watch.

I love cheering on the people who really want to make the change!

I personally cannot imagine letting myself get that out of control with food, but I've gotten that out of control in other areas of my life so tomato/tomah-to.

I yell at them, I yell for them, I cry with them, I cry for them. I hold my breath when they go to weigh in and just... I really like this show.
  • Commander_Keen
    edited May 2019
    My 600 lb life wasn't the 1st show
    have you seen this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0pMpYss37E&has_verified=1
    The show takes place in Great Britain, This person died during the episode.
    This show is Fat Doctor. Also very interesting.
  • RelCanonical
    The UK has some really awesome shows about weight loss and the struggles relating to it. I think I find them a lot easier to watch because they do well at talking about the person's struggles without it being as much of a "shock factor, circus freak" framing like 600lb. life does.
  • Commander_Keen
    They have one more show, that I thought was interesting . Supersize vs Super skinny, where the people have to switch their meals with one another.
  • RelCanonical
    They have one more show, that I thought was interesting . Supersize vs Super skinny, where the people have to switch their meals with one another.

That one is good too. I also really like Secret Eaters. That one's much less serious than Fat Doctor, but really goes into how people can be surprised by weight gain.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    As someone who has went through weight loss surgery, this show has actually been a big help to me. I am far from that size, but seeing someone go through such a drastic weight change really inspires me. It's a huge step to take, and I applaud the ones who are serious about it for going through with it. It is definitely not the "easy way out", as some think it is.
  • RelCanonical
    anl90 wrote: »
    As someone who has went through weight loss surgery, this show has actually been a big help to me. I am far from that size, but seeing someone go through such a drastic weight change really inspires me. It's a huge step to take, and I applaud the ones who are serious about it for going through with it. It is definitely not the "easy way out", as some think it is.

Definitely. I have not had weight loss surgery so I can only imagine, but I see it as a tool. You still have to correctly use that tool in order to have success - it won't do the work for you, it's just there to help.
  • Nerys52
    Nerys52 Posts: 86 Member
    I watch UK Fat Doctor on Youtube and also Supersize Vs Superskinny where they have to eat each others foods.
    I also watch my600 lbs life on Youtube. Did anyone eat normal home cooked food and get to 600lbs?
    Also like looking at american grocery shop Youtube videos is so much food variety.

• RelCanonical
    Nerys52 wrote: »
    I watch UK Fat Doctor on Youtube and also Supersize Vs Superskinny where they have to eat each others foods.
    I also watch my600 lbs life on Youtube. Did anyone eat normal home cooked food and get to 600lbs?
    Also like looking at american grocery shop Youtube videos is so much food variety.

We don't just got cereal, we got a cereal AISLE.
  • Nerys52
    Nerys52 Posts: 86 Member
    The thing is I visited USA in 1981 and could not find a grocery shop to go see inside, was in tourist area NY and FL.
  • RelCanonical
    The thing is I visited USA in 1981 and could not find a grocery shop to go see inside, was in tourist area NY and FL.

There's this whole deal with grocery store locations where they all end up near each other (it's actually better from a competition standpoint) but you end up with areas with like three grocery stores and areas with none.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member

There's this whole deal with grocery store locations where they all end up near each other (it's actually better from a competition standpoint) but you end up with areas with like three grocery stores and areas with none.

Plus to be honest you're not going to find proper grocery stores near touristy areas. The real estate is too valuable. Most of the grocery stores tend to be in lower cost areas near residences.