Which lifting program is the best for you?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I am not a happy camper. Just found out my monthly subscription workout program will no longer be available soon. I have been doing it for so long and I really don't want to move on to anything else. I really like the 4 days a week, 3 days full body, 1 day lower body only. Sigh. Guess I am going to have to see what else is out there. :/

This might not be a bad thing (referencing your other post about body image)…...it is happening for a reason. A new window is going to be opened for you....this will be a God-send for you!

Happy 4th of July, Stephanie (I know, I know....you do not celebrate that North of the Border!). :-)

Yea. I used to be the worst when it came to program hopping this was the one program I stuck to because it changed every month. I mean I have enough knowledge of the templates used to go about it on my own I think but it was so nice being told what to do, especially some of the exercises I wouldn't have thought of or would incorporate myself.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    I saw you put the aworkoutroutine muscle building in the list and I'd like to say I love that program. I am not a fan of the powerlifting rep ranges (1-3). The aworkout routine program has you do compounds in the 4-6 rep ranges and you have a mixture of both strength and hypertrophy rep ranges which is the sweet spot I like to train at. I have had great results (of course the workout program is not the only reason why I have progressed, I have my diet in check too). But I highly recommend it if you do not care for powerlifting and want a good program to simply help you acheive an aesthetic body (provided that you have your diet in check). I bought his muscle building book and his fat loss book and I also enjoyed those two books and that's how I learned to bulk and cut properly instead of what my former PT had thaught me "Bro you need to eat a *kitten* ton of food to get biiiiig".
  • javacreek
    javacreek Posts: 310 Member
    fb47 wrote: »
    I saw you put the aworkoutroutine muscle building in the list and I'd like to say I love that program. I am not a fan of the powerlifting rep ranges (1-3). The aworkout routine program has you do compounds in the 4-6 rep ranges and you have a mixture of both strength and hypertrophy rep ranges which is the sweet spot I like to train at. I have had great results (of course the workout program is not the only reason why I have progressed, I have my diet in check too). But I highly recommend it if you do not care for powerlifting and want a good program to simply help you acheive an aesthetic body (provided that you have your diet in check). I bought his muscle building book and his fat loss book and I also enjoyed those two books and that's how I learned to bulk and cut properly instead of what my former PT had thaught me "Bro you need to eat a *kitten* ton of food to get biiiiig".

Thank you .. that is the program I am looking into.
  • CancerSurvivor2014
    CancerSurvivor2014 Posts: 111 Member
    I am currently getting back in the groove with Stronglifts 5×5. I am in my 10th week and have just now maxed out on all my excercises except Squats. I plan on continuing awhile longer then switching to Strongman training plan by Brian Alsruhe.
  • bestlife42
    bestlife42 Posts: 36 Member
    old thread with great info
  • countrycreek
    countrycreek Posts: 753 Member
    Agreed^^
  • mmebouchon
    mmebouchon Posts: 855 Member
    edited August 2018
    Great list, thanks
  • sheliftsweights
    sheliftsweights Posts: 18 Member
    For Later!
  • latestarter75
    latestarter75 Posts: 50 Member
    For me I like Fortitude training in a prep and DC training in the off season
  • Beccalouise09
    Beccalouise09 Posts: 128 Member
    all of the workout routines are books for buying online, aren't there any listed exercise routines on a webpage for people to be able to follow instead?
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    starlady09 wrote: »
    all of the workout routines are books for buying online, aren't there any listed exercise routines on a webpage for people to be able to follow instead?

Strong Lifts has a free app. Not sure if it fits your needs as it is a beginner lifting program with a barbell and kinda needs a squat cage. Some of the others on page 1 have websites to go along with them.
  • Beccalouise09

Strong Lifts has a free app. Not sure if it fits your needs as it is a beginner lifting program with a barbell and kinda needs a squat cage. Some of the others on page 1 have websites to go along with them.

I more than anything just need a step by step weekly planner to go by, not some website or video or app for a phone. My phone cannot download apps, its a work phone and my old work place let me keep the phone, only... theres an authorisation password thing that pops up whenever I try to download apps to it... the work place doesn't even know the password or username. I'm screwed without a step by step weekly planner. For example, something like this:

Monday:
    Stretching off Monday in the morning after breakfast and an evening walk after dinner by 5PM.

Tuesday:
    Standing bicep curls
    Modified pushups
    Squat
    plank
    Bridges
    Situps

Wednesday:
    modified pushups
    situps
    squat
    plank...

oh im useless :'( thanks to what someone said on this site to do with how I'm only making my routines focus on upper body... I'm now feeling like im hopeless! :'(
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator

I more than anything just need a step by step weekly planner to go by, not some website or video or app for a phone. My phone cannot download apps, its a work phone and my old work place let me keep the phone, only... theres an authorisation password thing that pops up whenever I try to download apps to it... the work place doesn't even know the password or username. I'm screwed without a step by step weekly planner. For example, something like this:

Monday:
    Stretching off Monday in the morning after breakfast and an evening walk after dinner by 5PM.

Tuesday:
    Standing bicep curls
    Modified pushups
    Squat
    plank
    Bridges
    Situps

Wednesday:
    modified pushups
    situps
    squat
    plank...

oh im useless :'( thanks to what someone said on this site to do with how I'm only making my routines focus on upper body... I'm now feeling like im hopeless! :'(

only the ones in italics are books. 90% of them are websites that detail the routines. And then often you can even find premade excel documents.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member

If you have access to the equipment, then this is a good simple (about as simple as they get) program:
    https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/
    Just 1 leg + 1 pull + 1 push movement per session & 2 alternating full-body sessions.

• Beccalouise09
    ritzvin wrote: »

If you have access to the equipment, then this is a good simple (about as simple as they get) program:
    Just 1 leg + 1 pull + 1 push movement per session & 2 alternating full-body sessions.

wow! that routine is rather good, I read it and from what I can understand is I'd be doing Workout A on Tuesday, Workout B on Wednesday then back on A on Thursday. Then the next week on Tuesday it would be B then A on Wednesday then B on Thursday. Meaning ABA one time, then BAB the next, from what I read. :smiley: Not bad but I think I may wait until my new friend on this site gets back to me ^^' She may have a better plan for my weekly planner for what I can do on the days I'd be working out.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    You wouldn't be doing it every day. ..you need at least 1 day recovery time between sessions (this is when your muscles are repairing and getting stronger, growing). 3 days per week (or even just 2).
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member

wow! that routine is rather good, I read it and from what I can understand is I'd be doing Workout A on Tuesday, Workout B on Wednesday then back on A on Thursday. Then the next week on Tuesday it would be B then A on Wednesday then B on Thursday. Meaning ABA one time, then BAB the next, from what I read. :smiley: Not bad but I think I may wait until my new friend on this site gets back to me ^^' She may have a better plan for my weekly planner for what I can do on the days I'd be working out.

As ritzvin said, you need a day in between. Do the routine M/W/F. I do this with Strong Lifts and run on the other days, so if you want the routine of something every day, then do cardio T/T. Just be sure to take it easy on the in between days until you are comfortable on the lifting days.

I get that you can't download the app, but the benefit of the app is you can track the weights you lifted. With these lifting programs, you should be increasing the weight lifted each time and the app does walk you through that. Are you okay with bringing a notebook to the gym to track your sessions?
  • Beccalouise09

As ritzvin said, you need a day in between. Do the routine M/W/F. I do this with Strong Lifts and run on the other days, so if you want the routine of something every day, then do cardio T/T. Just be sure to take it easy on the in between days until you are comfortable on the lifting days.

I get that you can't download the app, but the benefit of the app is you can track the weights you lifted. With these lifting programs, you should be increasing the weight lifted each time and the app does walk you through that. Are you okay with bringing a notebook to the gym to track your sessions?

I do all of my workout from home, I don't go to a leisure center to do it. But I think this BAB and ABA program is just what I am needing. On Tuesdays, Thursdays and over the weekend on the days as take it easy days, I have work... but I'd be keeping tuesdays and thursdays as stretch off tuesday and stretch off thursday alongside either a walk or a run. As for the weekend, I'll stick to house chores and relaxing.
  • Beccalouise09
    This list is great. Thanks!

No problemo, as Terminator says from Terminator lol