No posts about alcohol consumption on here?

Replies

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Am I the only one who blacks out each Friday, Saturday, and Sunday? This of course ruining everything I've done in the gym and the kitchen for the last 6 days? Any pointers, tips, ideas, etc?

It is easy to pile on the OP, but what he does is not unusual for a lot of people. I'm not defending it or saying it is right. Culturally, I am from a very hard drinking Irish family and started drinking at a very young age because no one paid any attention and alcohol was everywhere. My teens, 20s, and a lot of my 30s were filled with daily drinking and binging weekends. Even into my 40s, there are a few times a year when I lapse back into it, but my power drinking days have just naturally diminished due to competing priorities. SplitbyGreg will reach that point one way or another. In the meantime, perhaps commit to just blacking out 2 days a week instead of 3 and go from there.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    Am I the only one who blacks out each Friday, Saturday, and Sunday? This of course ruining everything I've done in the gym and the kitchen for the last 6 days? Any pointers, tips, ideas, etc?

It is easy to pile on the OP, but what he does is not unusual for a lot of people. I'm not defending it or saying it is right. Culturally, I am from a very hard drinking Irish family and started drinking at a very young age because no one paid any attention and alcohol was everywhere. My teens, 20s, and a lot of my 30s were filled with daily drinking and binging weekends. Even into my 40s, there are a few times a year when I lapse back into it, but my power drinking days have just naturally diminished due to competing priorities. SplitbyGreg will reach that point one way or another. In the meantime, perhaps commit to just blacking out 2 days a week instead of 3 and go from there.

I think there's a lot of pile on from those of us who have been there, done that, wished we'd stopped sooner.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    OP, I think the point people are trying to make here, aside from concern about the amount you're drinking, is that no matter what you do to exercise or eat healthy, it will not matter if you're drinking enough to black out consistently a couple days every week. Doing that will undo any other healthy things you do. So we can't really give you advice on how to balance heavy drinking with healthy habits. Those two simply don't mix.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    edited February 2016
    Snow3y wrote: »
    I wouldn't say I 'black out' but I do enjoy my alcohol on weekends too :) I don't enjoy having so much that I'm not in control of myself, or that I'd make a fool of myself. So I know my limits for each night.

Right on. I need to find out what number of drinks gets me there, cause I rarely feel drunk...think I breeze right past that feeling haha.

Once upon a time, I was able to maintain a beautiful, glorious buzz all day long. A smooth, heavenly "life is great" wonderful time. Then something happened and I started going from 0 to FUCKKKED UPP before I even knew what happened. That's when the fun stopped.

OP, enjoy your days of blissful denial while they last. Have fun with the partying and fun and craziness. I hope you don't have to go where I went before I had to get honest with myself about my drinking. But I know all this is falling on deaf ears. I don't wish your future on my worse enemy.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    emaybe wrote: »
    Move out of the Midwest. All there is to do when it's this cold is drink.

Or, just keep drinking. For as many anecdotal relatives that have died from drinking in this thread, I know ones that are still alive--and still drinking. Wisconsin blood, perhaps. Alcohol consumption, even out of hand alcohol consumption, isn't a death sentence--though it definitely has that potential. I barely even had hangovers at 26... now it's a two-day recovery minimum for that type of drinking--which is why I plan for the calorie intake and the hangover in advance. Took me years to figure that one out.

Life is short. Yours may likely be shorter because you drink heavily. Figure out what's important to you and make your decisions from there.

That's the problem haha. Lived in Illinois and now Ohio. 4 months out of the year it's friggin Russia. Gah.

Please don't blame the Midwest for being an alcoholic! I have lived in northern Indiana most of my life and I drink on average once a yr. I still hang out with Ppl who drink but, I don't partake because I don't need to. You are 26 please act like it.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Lots of posts about alcohol & water retention, alcohol & calorie budgets, alcohol & extra snacking, alcohol & holidays... very few about blackout binge drinking. One of these things is not like the others. Get some help with this.
  • Falenea
    Falenea Posts: 263 Member
    Check out stopdrinking sub on reddit, its an eye opener. Lots of info there.
  • jmackey1980
    jmackey1980 Posts: 29 Member
    Probably not a huge help for OP, but when I'm trying to reduce the calories I intake but still enjoy a drink with friends or colleagues, I avoid draft beer and drink either scotch or gin and soda. My bigger problem than drinking is the terrible food that alcohol is the gateway to eating!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say I 'black out' but I do enjoy my alcohol on weekends too :) I don't enjoy having so much that I'm not in control of myself, or that I'd make a fool of myself. So I know my limits for each night.

Right on. I need to find out what number of drinks gets me there, cause I rarely feel drunk...think I breeze right past that feeling haha.

Perhaps this would be a slightly better science experiment: For the next outing or few, try to pace yourself, maybe drink water heavily alongside the alcohol to minimize the dehydration, and strive to consciously assess how you feel and behave at each stage. Perhaps you can find a point that is still "fun", but not quite so self-destructive.

And I still think there's some denial in your responses. You say your main desire is aesthetic - I assume you mean you want to look good/attractive. Be aware that your body is accumulating the insults in some respects, only to display them externally later. By that time, they may not be fully reversible (wrinkling, general skin quality like youthful elasticity, etc.). Next time you're at a bar, look around you. Chat to some guys who are on your path but are 5 or 10 years older (chat so you can maybe really learn their age). The results could be sobering, literally.

Your first paragraph I like and plan on trying. The second one sounds too morbid, I'm not trying to talk to wrinkly dudes at a bar to *kitten* my life. I do know continual heavy drinking will lead to serious health effects tho...unfortunately.

Actually, my point was not that it will lead to serious health effects (it will, but you don't seem to care about that). My point was that it will make you ugly, unattractive, and old before your time . . . which does seem to conflict with your apparent objectives.
  • myronedward
    myronedward Posts: 1 Member
    Splitbygreg is very likely pulling your chains. In genereal, people trying to lose weight are pretty uptight, and this group is no exception. If Greg is serious, we are in no position to help. If he's not, and for anyone else's benefit, diet is the best way to manage weight. A bad diet (excess booze) is REALLY hard to overcome in the gym. I find that limiting booze leads to managing diet much easier, which results in a much more successful weight loss. Playing hard, then working hard in the gym simply hasn't had the same positve results for me.
  • tottie_07
    tottie_07 Posts: 105 Member
    I can drink most under the table! lol But it kept getting in the way of my health and fitness so I finally kicked it. I just don't bounce back fast anymore and too many empty calories to burn off. I envy those who can work alcohol into their diet and still keep fit. Just don't work in my world.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    There are plenty of alcohol posts on here. Personally, I don't black out. I pre-log my alcohol calories, leave room for them, and drink what I said I would or less. The good news is I don't even have to wait until weekend.

That's a good idea. Now the difficult part would be actually stopping

This answer indicates a serous problem. Maybe see a doctor, try some counseling...AA...
  • Splitbygreg
    Splitbygreg Posts: 133 Member
    tottie_07 wrote: »
    I can drink most under the table! lol But it kept getting in the way of my health and fitness so I finally kicked it. I just don't bounce back fast anymore and too many empty calories to burn off. I envy those who can work alcohol into their diet and still keep fit. Just don't work in my world.

Yeah. It works less and less as we get older and as a result to that we drink less and less. Meh.
  • Splitbygreg

Perhaps this would be a slightly better science experiment: For the next outing or few, try to pace yourself, maybe drink water heavily alongside the alcohol to minimize the dehydration, and strive to consciously assess how you feel and behave at each stage. Perhaps you can find a point that is still "fun", but not quite so self-destructive.

And I still think there's some denial in your responses. You say your main desire is aesthetic - I assume you mean you want to look good/attractive. Be aware that your body is accumulating the insults in some respects, only to display them externally later. By that time, they may not be fully reversible (wrinkling, general skin quality like youthful elasticity, etc.). Next time you're at a bar, look around you. Chat to some guys who are on your path but are 5 or 10 years older (chat so you can maybe really learn their age). The results could be sobering, literally.

Your first paragraph I like and plan on trying. The second one sounds too morbid, I'm not trying to talk to wrinkly dudes at a bar to *kitten* my life. I do know continual heavy drinking will lead to serious health effects tho...unfortunately.

Actually, my point was not that it will lead to serious health effects (it will, but you don't seem to care about that). My point was that it will make you ugly, unattractive, and old before your time . . . which does seem to conflict with your apparent objectives.

If it continued at the same scope for a long period, then I agree.
  • Splitbygreg
    Me2FitMe wrote: »

Ummm.. how many days are in your week?

Haha. I workout Friday and Saturday too. I worded that incorrectly. Mah-bad.
  • Splitbygreg
    misskarne wrote: »
    You must have a pretty thick skull. Drinking to blackout? BAD. BAD, BAD, BAD, not good at all, not cool, not funny, not anything except BAD. Your liver? Probably already shot. Your brain cells? Dying.

Come on, you're 26, you're supposed to have outgrown the idiot stage.

I still gots plenty off bran sells...No wet brain yet. I agree, blacking out, not the healthiest of things.

Oat bran? Wheat bran? How much do you sell it for? ;)

The first part up until the ellipsis was a joke haha.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    "Blacks out"... is that hyperbole, or what some people call going to sleep drunk?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackout_(drug-related_amnesia)
    I don't think I've blacked out from drinking since I was 15. I don't like the feeling of not remembering what I did, though. Maybe some do.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    "Blacks out"... is that hyperbole, or what some people call going to sleep drunk?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackout_(drug-related_amnesia)
    I don't think I've blacked out from drinking since I was 15. I don't like the feeling of not remembering what I did, though. Maybe some do.

I don't think that a lot of people drink excessively with the intent to blackout, although it is a foreseeable conclusion when you binge drink.

I can't really speak to the OP's intent, but I doubt he was eliciting snarky responses from people who have not had similar struggles. "I don't drink" and "I am a moderate drinker" - thanks, that is wonderful, I'm sure that the OP knows that he has the option to not drink or drink more moderately, but there will likely be a lot of steps from where he currently is to arrive at where he probably should be (as defined by him) in terms of his drinking habits.
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    misskarne wrote: »
    You must have a pretty thick skull. Drinking to blackout? BAD. BAD, BAD, BAD, not good at all, not cool, not funny, not anything except BAD. Your liver? Probably already shot. Your brain cells? Dying.

Come on, you're 26, you're supposed to have outgrown the idiot stage.

I still gots plenty off bran sells...No wet brain yet. I agree, blacking out, not the healthiest of things.

Our bodies are good at coping as best they can...until you reach a critical point and then you can't. You're fooling yourself if you think you are in control and have the final say. The decision will be made for you by your body and by then, it will likely be irreversible. I fail to see what is so fun about not remembering 3 days of every week. You're forfeiting half of your life.

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    I can't tell if you are trolling or not; I'm going to answer your original post like you are not trolling.
    I consider myself a pretty big drinker. Before I started CICO I would drink 3x a week 5+ drinks each time. I started MFP and I found out I could still drink and lose weight. Of course I had to cut my drinking habits a bit; no beer and no high calorie mixed drinks. I started drinking on Wednesdays nights and Saturday night's only. After losing the first 15 pounds I found that it took less alcohol to get me drunk so less calories I would have to consume. I'm at the point where I won't drive after 1 drink because I can feel the effects of alcohol after 1 drink. Yet, when there's a social situation, I have a ride home and my kids are with my parents, I can drink a bottle of tequila and not black out. The hangover is awful though, that's another reason why I leave the heavy drinking for special occasions only.
    Right now, I'm unfortunately not drinking (long story) but when I decide to start drinking again, I keep my drinks at home to 3 or 4 drinks at a time and only when the kids are sleeping.
    If you're serious about losing weight while keeping muscle, start only blacking out for special occasions.