What were you eating at the age of 16?

Options
124»

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    At 16 I didn't eat well. Not because I was 16, but because I was on my own and had no money.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    ummm everything ? marching band and carrying snares and quads burns loads of calories llol

wasnt ever much of a breakfast person - usually a nutrigrain bar

lunch ... ummm? i dunno. probably skipped it most of the time LOL

dinner - whatever my mom or grandma made

now i know why i was so small LOLOLOL
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I was 16 in the 1970s.

Breakfast -- not much different from what I eat now -- cereal, eggs, or oatmeal, maybe pancakes once a month. My mom made sure we ate a sit-down breakfast every day.
    Lunch -- school lunches that were mostly awful, so I just picked at them. If my mom made a lunch for me, a deli meat sandwich on whole wheat and an apple
    Supper - traditional homemade dinner - a protein source like pot roast, meat loaf, roast chicken, with potato, veggie, and salad. Homemade dessert every night. We were Catholic, so fish or macaroni and cheese on Fridays. My mother was a great cook.

I'm rather surprised by how similar my eating is (except for the school lunches and dessert every night) to what I grew up with. By the way, no one in my family was overweight. In fact, even today, I'm the closest to "overweight" in my family, with a BMI of around 22-23.

We never had snacks in my home and a 2-liter soda in the fridge usually went flat before it got used up. I think the obsession with snacks is a fairly recent phenomenon.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

Breakfast- Cold cereal or toast with peanut butter, milk, orange or apple juice.
    Lunch- We didn't have school lunches at my high school, so lunch was usually last night's leftovers warmed up in the lunchroom microwave.
    Dinner- My older brothers and sister had all moved out over the previous two years and Mom hadn't adjusted to feeding just four people still at home. She always made too much, but it was always a meat, (usually chicken or hamburger, sometimes pork loin, steak once in a while- we lived on a farm, so what we ate was whatever got butchered that year) a salad (usually iceberg lettuce with tomato, cucumber, whatever was fresh out of the garden/greenhouse that time of year) and potato, usually mashed with margarine, salt and pepper, plus a hot vegetable like green beans, on the table. If you didn't like what was served, you could quietly eat a small bite of everything and then make yourself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, but sandwich makers had to wash the dishes. And if you complained about what was served. Once in a while she would defy Dad with dishes from her childhood- talerine casserole, tuna casserole, hamburger gravy over rice, etc, but that was rare.

I was also on swim team that year, so during the swim season I ate a lot of extra cheese and ham sandwiches and apples. I remember my grandparents had a great apple harvest and there were like six fruit crates of granny smith apples in the garage. I probably ate an entire box of apples all to myself.

My father was a 'meat and potatoes' man, and Mom made him eggs, bacon, toast and oatmeal, with orange juice and coffee every day. He also smoked heavily. He had a stroke at 40, heart attack at 45, open heart surgery at 47, and he died of emphysema related issues when he was 63. Not the path I want to go down.
  • TenaciousTAZ
    TenaciousTAZ Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Snickers for breakfast with a Jolt cola!!! What's worse is my diet at 30....Venti Starbux Mocha, espresso brownie, coke at break, supersize big mac, fries, 32 oz Coke, another p.m. coke and some type of take out for dinner....yikes!! Typical meals now...gluten free/powdered peanut butter pancake in coconut oil, cucumber greek salad with chicken, walnuts for break, and buffalo steak with mushrooms and onion!