DEXA Scan Shock

13»

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    1961dublin wrote: »
    What % should BF actually be? My BMI is around 22.5 and I am a 54 year old woman. I have not got a clue about what my BF% should be and I would love to know....

A fairly slim woman will be about 20% BF.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    yarwell wrote: »
    What % should BF actually be? My BMI is around 22.5 and I am a 54 year old woman. I have not got a clue about what my BF% should be and I would love to know....

At 18 maybe
  • yarwell
    rabbitjb wrote: »

At 18 maybe

or 38

http://www.builtlean.com/2010/08/03/ideal-body-fat-percentage-chart/
  • Sued0nim

At 18 maybe

or 38

http://www.builtlean.com/2010/08/03/ideal-body-fat-percentage-chart/

Interestingly in other charts lean is termed "underfat"
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member

Fairly slim?
    More like "underwear model lean."
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    I agree that it might be some loose skin. OP lost his weight really fast, so the skin wouldn't have caught up yet. I don't think he looks as fluffy as most of those 30% pics.

Definitely lift, OP, because the rate of weight loss you have is pretty extreme. It will lose muscle that way. You are probably usually quite more muscular :)

How does loose skin figure in these scans, btw, y'all? Could it come up as fat if it is in that awkward state right after quick weight loss? When the skin readjusts you lose some skin. I don't know what weight that would total, but I'm just curious, lol.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Thoughts? Should I get a second opinion with a different form of measurement, like a body pod?

DEXA has a lower margin of error than BodPod. DEXA is pretty much the gold standard for measuring BF%.
  • Sued0nim
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Fairly slim?

Fashion model mebbe

Underwear models need a little more ...stuff ;)
  • Carlos_421
    edited February 2016
    Francl27 wrote: »
    It seems you have some loose skin too, no? I'd put you around 28, from the pictures.

wtf?

Huh? Sorry, it just seemed to me that the belly was not just fat, but some loose skin as well, so it might change the results, or at least how we perceive it. And from his sides, he just doesn't look like 30%+ to me.

Dexa scan wouldn't confuse loose skin for fat.
    The side picture definitely looks to be near 30% to me (I was only slightly leaner when i started).
  • Carlos_421

Fairly slim?

Fashion model mebbe

Underwear models need a little more ...stuff ;)

True...either way, much leaner than "fairly slim."
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    It seems you have some loose skin too, no? I'd put you around 28, from the pictures.

wtf?

Huh? Sorry, it just seemed to me that the belly was not just fat, but some loose skin as well, so it might change the results, or at least how we perceive it. And from his sides, he just doesn't look like 30%+ to me.

Dexa scan wouldn't confuse loose skin for fat.
    The side picture definitely looks to be near 30% to me (I was only slightly leaner when i started).

I agree.

He had damn near the best method that can be done to measure his body fat. According to his pictures AND dexa, i'd say there's no reason to question it.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Is there some reason why you don't lift weights?
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    I was reading up on body fat measuring the other day, the article I was reading suggested that none of the available methods are highly accurate for a given individual (although averaged across many individuals they can be very accurate). Still, DEXA does seem to be the best of the bunch.
    http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/index.php/free-content/free-content/volume-1-issue-5-the-pitfalls-of-body-fat-measurement-parts-5-and-6-skinfolds-and-dual-energy-x-ray-absorptiometry-dexa/the-pitfalls-of-body-fat-measurement-part-6-dexa/
  • yarwell

Fairly slim?

UK Female Olympic cyclist 14% BF aged 30 ? My neighbour aka Mrs Whippet also a pro cyclist is a bit skeletal but I daren't ask her stats, not least as she's failing to conceive.
  • Sued0nim

Fairly slim?

UK Female Olympic cyclist 14% BF aged 30 ? My neighbour aka Mrs Whippet also a pro cyclist is a bit skeletal but I daren't ask her stats, not least as she's failing to conceive.

Low BF can completely screw up hormones

http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/

Body Fat Percentage Women 15-17%
    This is still considered a very low body fat for women, which is similar to the 6-7% body fat for range men. Many bikini and fitness models will reach this body fat level and some may not be able to menstruate. Muscle definition in the abs, legs, arms, and shoulders is apparent, there is some vascularity and some separation between muscles. Hips, buttocks, and thighs generally have a little less shape because of the low body fat.
  • Carlos_421
    edited February 2016

Fairly slim?

Offering an example of an extremely lean Olympic endurance athlete doesn't negate the fact that "fairly slim" is a strong understatement when describing a female with 20% body fat.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member

No reason in particular. But when I got started in this round of weight loss, I wanted to focus on exercises that I would be highly motivated to do, and that's swim/bike/run because I enjoy them. Now I wish I had a dexa scan from when I started. Hate to think what BF I had 50 lbs ago.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member

No reason in particular. But when I got started in this round of weight loss, I wanted to focus on exercises that I would be highly motivated to do, and that's swim/bike/run because I enjoy them. Now I wish I had a dexa scan from when I started. Hate to think what BF I had 50 lbs ago.

That makes sense.

I tend to think about fitness as strength, endurance and flexibility. So, if your program is missing one of those things, keep doing what you enjoy and just add in a couple of days a week of the thing you are missing. When you have a running rest day, do a couple of weight circuits.

Worrying about the past or thinking about BF as a defining characteristic isn't going to help you...just keep moving forward. You have already made great progress.
  • VitaSh
    VitaSh Posts: 113 Member
    I'm at about 18% which is not low for me but normal. I'm not underweight at this point so I wouldn't say super slim.. And I got heavier on purpose trying to build muscle so it's def not too low for me or many other active females. I think the averages are based on the average population a lot of the times..not necessarily recommendations.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member

That makes sense.

I tend to think about fitness as strength, endurance and flexibility. So, if your program is missing one of those things, keep doing what you enjoy and just add in a couple of days a week of the thing you are missing. When you have a running rest day, do a couple of weight circuits.

Worrying about the past or thinking about BF as a defining characteristic isn't going to help you...just keep moving forward. You have already made great progress.

Cosigned.