Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Ok smart people! How would you evaluate macro impact on overeating (and possibly satiety)?

2»

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Some good points there.

I see the following:
    - calories in (easy, have the data)
    - exercise/TDEE (requires data from a tracker, manually entered, easy to integrate)

From these it is possible to look at av. prior cals vs high days or av. prior deficit vs high days.

- liquids, hormones, stress

I can see that these non-cal related items would be very impactful to overeating but are more difficult to track and evaluate. I'm going to have to leave them out for now. But, certainly worth thinking about.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    I've integrated now the ideas behind
    - calories
    - macros
    - exercise / TDEE (either from an estimator, external tracker or a Base + MSF exercise)

- Sleep might be another item to include, since data is sometimes available.

The results so far are interesting.
    Here is a screen capture on an analysis off my data (over 6 days prior to overeat days) - It seems that I tend to overeat to catch up on larger deficits - keeping a 25% cut seems fine. 30% not so much. Exercise impacts this.

r7w3dhccsvkf.png

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    One additional thing I think might be useful. Or at least interesting. Include the binge day - or have an option to look at that specific day

It might be useful to see two things: 1) what the person is binging on. Eating a lot more carbs? A lot more fats? A fairly even mixture of the two? Booze involved? and 2) the individual could maybe look at his/her diary and see if he/she is eating more of any particular macro earlier in the day, that may cause him/her to overeat later in the day.

I suppose that's easy enough to simply look at the individual day's diary, but it might be interesting/helpful to see if there's some sort of pattern between the preceding days and the preceding hours, which would likely be easier to see if the binge day's data is included in the graph(s).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,372 MFP Moderator
    edited February 2016
    Following....

I may have to consider something like this, but in general my macronutrients are fairly consistent. The bigger driver for me is the days after a lifting day, I want to eat a house (especially leg days).
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,379 Member
    psulemon wrote: »
    Following....

I may have to consider something like this, but in general my macronutrients are fairly consistent. The bigger driver for me is the days after a lifting day, I want to eat a house (especially leg days).

The same here. I can do 12 miles on the elliptical, long bike rides, be moving stuff, etc... essentially any not too intense cardio or strength and keep eating in line just fine with calorie burn.

The more I push intensity on anything to the point of high effort, including lifting, the more it seems to make me hungry in the following days.
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    holy crap
    i need to learn some stats
    any of you guys trade futures? these skills can come in handy.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    jacklifts wrote: »
    holy crap

Most math based stocks and futures trading these days is based on genetics algorithms rather statistical analysis.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    senecarr wrote: »
    holy crap

Most math based stocks and futures trading these days is based on genetics algorithms rather statistical analysis.

+1

Machine learning and prediction algorithms for 100, Alex.
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    holy crap

stealthq wrote: »
    holy crap

+1

Machine learning and prediction algorithms for 100, Alex.

So....are you saying you do trade futures?

This discussion has been closed.