Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Blood Type Diet- Is it for real or is it more diet hokum?

124»

Replies

• GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    edited April 2016
    Something from their website (for type-B):
    As a Type B, you carry the genetic potential for great malleability and the ability to thrive in changeable conditions. Unlike blood types A and O, which are at opposite ends of every spectrum, your position is fluid, rather than stationary, with the ability to move in either direction along the continuum. It's easy to see how this flexibility served the interests of early Type B's who needed to balance the twin forces of the animal and vegetable kingdoms. At the same time, it can be extremely challenging to balance two poles and Type B's tend to be highly sensitive to the effects of slipping out of balance.

For a moment I thought I was reading my horoscope.

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    I'm type A. I should be a vegetarian before my weak immune system drops dead.

""When we discuss 'diet,' we are not talking necessarily about a weight loss plan, that's a side benefit to following this plan. We are actually discussing diet in the more traditional sense, meaning a way to eat," explains, Dr. D'Adamo. Type As flourish on a vegetarian diet - if you are accustomed to eating meat, you will lose weight and have more energy once you eliminate the toxic foods from your diet. Many people find it difficult to move away from the typical meat and potato fare to soy proteins, grains and vegetables. But it is particularly important for sensitive Type As to eat their foods in as natural a state as possible: pure, fresh and organic. "I can't emphasize enough how this critical dietary adjustment can be to the sensitive immune system of Type A. With this diet you can supercharge your immune system and potentially short circuit the development of life threatening diseases." "
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    diet hokum
    *has tried it, back in the 90s*

Me too. I cant believe this is still doing the rounds.
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    I tried it but it eliminates too many foods. It's not easy.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Mine told me to eat vegetarian. I never felt worse in my life. I was exhausted, irritable, and generally miserable. And I wasn't a junk food veg either - I was following Eat to Live. It's just ridiculous. There are clearly biological differences - some people thrive on Eat to Live, whereas I felt like garbage, for example - but blood type isn't the determining factor.

I had the same experience on the ETL diet. According to Dr. Lam of the blood type diet, my diet should be mostly meat and vegetables with very little dairy or grains because of my sensitive stomach. Except I don't have a sensitive stomach, I could probably digest a jeep if I had to and I have no trouble with dairy or grains of any kind. In fact, I have no food allergies at all. In fact, I do best on a diet light on the meat and heavy on the dairy and plants. So much for Dr. Lam's blood type diet.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    dubird wrote: »
    My mom and I did that in college, on one of her rounds of losing weight. My dad was also needing to lose weight, so they used that as a guide. He's supposed to eat mostly vegetables, and she's supposed to eat mostly meats. So it's amusing to me that when my dad's on a vegetable-high diet, he loses weight better; and when my mom is on a meat-high diet, she loses weight better. Now I know it's not due to 'blood type', but rather that they lose weight differently, but it did validate it for me for a while.

d4CoKoV.png
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,082 Member
    "Choosing a diet based on your blood type is like deciding on what gas to put into your car based on its color." -- Brad Schoenfeld
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Something from their website (for type-B):
    As a Type B, you carry the genetic potential for great malleability and the ability to thrive in changeable conditions. Unlike blood types A and O, which are at opposite ends of every spectrum, your position is fluid, rather than stationary, with the ability to move in either direction along the continuum. It's easy to see how this flexibility served the interests of early Type B's who needed to balance the twin forces of the animal and vegetable kingdoms. At the same time, it can be extremely challenging to balance two poles and Type B's tend to be highly sensitive to the effects of slipping out of balance.

For a moment I thought I was reading my horoscope.

Blood types are a form of horoscopes in some countries.

That explains it. :D
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    avocados are high in salicylates this is probably no one else's problem but for me it rules out many fruits and veg and pain relief too. funny thing since giving up most foods containing salicylate I never get pain!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    zcb94 wrote: »
    That explains a lot!
    My blood type (O+) can digest protein and fat, but doesn't respond well to excess stomach acid, and will fatten up if they eat grain. We need to relax by working off stress. That's me to a T!

I'm O+ as well, and I do best when I eat grain, have an egg allergy, don't like meat, and I'm one of the most chilled people you will ever meet.
  • Ringbearer2
    Ringbearer2 Posts: 592 Member
    edited April 2016
    zyxst wrote: »
    dulcitonia wrote: »
    I was so confused about dothraki... I had to google.
    :)

aBKzv9A_700b.jpg

All you need to know about Dothraki. <3

I'm sorry, can we get back on topic here ?;). Too much blood without Khal Drogo.

• palmettoadventurer
    palmettoadventurer Posts: 51 Member
    Somehow I missed that Jason Momoa had been cast as Aquaman. I am much more interested in the Justice League movie now.

Oh, and the blood type diet is the hokumiest hokum that ever hokumed.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Somehow I missed that Jason Momoa had been cast as Aquaman. I am much more interested in the Justice League movie now.

Oh, and the blood type diet is the hokumiest hokum that ever hokumed.

Right? It suddenly matters now. ;)

Last I checked, as someone with an A- blood type, I'm supposed to be a vegetarian, which I am, but it is 100% coincidence. Or, maybe, it was cosmic intervention. You just never know. /sarcasm
  • rwhyte12
    rwhyte12 Posts: 203 Member
    I lived in England for a bit and knew this guy who at 36 had already had two heart attacks. He told me a little about it, the restrictions on life and that he was bummed out. Being from Canada, I copied off what it said about the B blood type and gave him a copy of it. Figured it couldn't hurt. He got quite excited because everything on it is what his doctor and surgeons had given him to eat. And something just clicked. It gave him a philosophy for eating. Before, he just felt really bad about his lot in life.
    So I guess if it makes one person feel great, it is worth looking into but really, there are so many diets out there, why limit yourself?
  • SeptemberFeyre
    SeptemberFeyre Posts: 178 Member
    Just like both my parents, I have B-. While that was fun and interesting to read, and kinda silly, that would be crazy(for me) to have to cut out things like chicken, corn and tomatoes. No way
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Blood type diet is nonsense. Your friend had success because of CICO. Blood type diet was merely the tool she happened to be using at the time. She could have saved her money by not wasting it on the book and enjoyed the process more by not excluding foods for no reason. When it comes to fat loss, we confuse the why with the how. How she succeeded was the blood type diet (because that is what she was doing), WHY she succeeded was CICO...
  • nawdaynahl
    nawdaynahl Posts: 3 Member
    rankinsect wrote: »
    I should make the AD&D diet. You roll D100 and consult the wandering food table to determine what food you will encounter for dinner.

Yes!