healthy, easy, low cal alternatives for chips/crackers?

2»

Replies

• sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Nori (seaweed)

Popcorn

crunchy veggies with salt on them
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Could try seaweed.

Nori sheets (used w california and sushi rollls) plain o brush lightly w Bragg's Liquid aminos (better than soy sauce) and toast under the broiler very briefly. Only a few kcal per sheet, full of micro-nutrients, and if you sip ice tea or broth as you are knibbling, then like many plant foods, it becomes temporarily filling.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Pistachios are awesome, as long as you can stick to just one serving. :smile: If you don't want the salt, look for an unsalted variety, or go for raw almonds instead.

For crunch and flavor without the salty chips, try dipping baby carrots, sugar snap peas and/or sliced red (or orange or yellow) bell peppers in hummus. Good stuff.
  • seg49
    seg49 Posts: 9
    Spicy Roasted Chickpeas!
    So healthy and good protein too! Get a can of chickpeas, drain and rinse, dry off as much as possible. Tip onto a baking tray with baking paper on it, mix up a little olive oil with your favourite herbs and spices (I use chilli flakes, oregano, rosemary and turmeric) either tip this over and shake or spread it on with a coating brush. Roast these in the oven for approx half an hour. You can eat them hot or or cold they are so YUM! I take mine to work for a morning snack :)
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    popcorn :smile:
  • HappyMeLovely
    HappyMeLovely Posts: 134 Member
    Kale chips in oven. Heat oven to 300°, wash and dry kale, separate into small chip sized pieces and discard large stems. Spray your baking sheet with cooking spray, lay out kale in a single layer, spray top with oil... bake 10-20 minutes (keep a close eye on em!). Sprinkle some nutritional yeast on those babies!
    Sliced cucumber with dressing or hummus.
    Popcorn popped in coconut oil, then sprinkle with nutritional yeast.
    Triscuit has a wide variety of crackers that are tasty!
    Like someone else said thinly slice a potato and follow kale chips recipe.
  • Katey12891
    Katey12891 Posts: 41 Member
    These work like a charm! Healtheries potato stix, if you get them in your country. they are only 40 calories and really hit the spot, plus they come in little packs so there's no over eating :)
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Spicy Roasted Chickpeas!
    So healthy and good protein too! Get a can of chickpeas, drain and rinse, dry off as much as possible. Tip onto a baking tray with baking paper on it, mix up a little olive oil with your favourite herbs and spices (I use chilli flakes, oregano, rosemary and turmeric) either tip this over and shake or spread it on with a coating brush. Roast these in the oven for approx half an hour. You can eat them hot or or cold they are so YUM! I take mine to work for a morning snack :)

Thanks! I will be doing this.