Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Breakfast yes or no?

Replies

• foreverslim1111
    foreverslim1111 Posts: 2,606 Member
    sullus wrote: »
    I have a question re breakfast. Is it best to eat breakfast before a morning workout or eat after. I have heard a theory that is you fast before a workout that you are forcing your body to burn body fat as its fuel for the workout. But if you eat breakfast first - then your body converts that food for energy rather than body fat. Does anybody know if there have been any studies? I would love to know the answer to this as I do morning workouts about 3 days a week and would gladly not eat before hand if I knew that it would enhance fat burning. Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge with me on this.

Well, the thing is ... your body is constantly going to glycogen or running through the process of converting fat, then replenishing it a little later to the extent that it can .. you can even be storing fat at times while eating in a general deficit - there's tons of in and out that mostly depend on "what's my current blood sugar, and what are my current energy requirements" ... the fact of the matter is, while decisions like this may be important for performance athletes or competitive bodybuilders and their ilk, for a normal person losing weight it doesn't matter at all.

If you're generally eating at a deficit over time, then over time, you will generally lose weight.

ETA: so like, y'know ... if you half-*kitten* your workout on an empty stomach, but kill it if you had something to eat before it .. EAT, ffs. and vice-versa, naturally.

Thanks - got it!
  • trinty425
    trinty425 Posts: 108 Member
    I don't eat breakfast, because I really can't. I have never (since middle school...and I'm 33 now) been able to eat breakfast without it causing me to feel sick. Outside of a little bit of coffee...I can't eat anything solid until about 1-2 hours after I wake up regardless of my physical activity in the morning.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    All the rules about breakfast are meaningless - its the flavor of the year research. I happen to eat breakfast every day, but I've also gone through periods of never eating it.

Wikipedia:
    In the European Middle Ages, breakfast was not usually considered a necessary and important meal, and was practically nonexistent during the earlier medieval period.

and they managed to go work in the fields
  • Movemoreguy22
    Movemoreguy22 Posts: 387 Member
    Breakfast is the worst part for me, if I'm eating breakie I need something sweet. I can't eat eggs makes me gag 1st thing in the morning... I tend to throw down banana and a quick shake then gym it up. Then come home eat normal after that
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    As a teacher, I've sure seen the effect on children that either didn't eat breakfast or had something full of sugar and/or simple carbs. Poor lack of concentration - tired - no energy - grouchy, etc., I sure feel the same when I don't eat a balanced breakfast.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    RalfLott wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Some chinese phrases,

"Eat more vegetables, less meat." 多吃蔬菜,少吃肉.(Duō chī shūcài, shǎo chī ròu.)

Qi fen bao (七分飽), is an age-old, oft-repeated Chinese dietary adage: eat only until you are 'seven parts full' (70 percent full).

http://www.eatingchina.com/articles/quotes.htm

+1
    You are a veritable bon mot repository!

Was your Scottish grandmother a teetotaling Methodist to boot?

Why, yes! :o
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    RalfLott wrote: »
    A lot of medications on a side note have to be take with food. Diabetes type 2 medication metformin is just terrible in my opinion. I read too many forums on it prior to using it, where people were obtaining it for weight loss.

??

Like any life partner, Metformin must be handled with respect.

Which means knowing when to take it and how to eat around it so that it gives you the maximum benefit and least discomfort.

It has brought my fasting BG down to levels I couldn't attain without it.

I don't have it completely figured out yet, but that's on me.

Misunderstood or difficult, maybe; Terrible per se? I don't think so.

Though I don't need it right now as I am in remission I also put in a good word for Metformin. I never took it on an empty stomach and we got along fine. The blood sugar numbers did not lie.
  • KayTeeOne
    KayTeeOne Posts: 123 Member
    Always YES . My digestive system remains asleep if I don't have my breakfast and hot tea
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    khpsrt wrote: »
    Always YES . My digestive system remains asleep if I don't have my breakfast and hot tea

Your digestive system works 24/7 unless you have a serious medical condition like gastroparesis.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member

Not serious ;)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

your digestive system is working 24/7 …if it ever stops it means you are dead or have a serious illness….
  • amymariajames
    amymariajames Posts: 30 Member
    Breakfast is the most important
    U can try skipping dinner but not breakfast!!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Breakfast is the most important
    U can try skipping dinner but not breakfast!!

For you maybe, not true for anyone else.
  • njaalla
    njaalla Posts: 39 Member
    I couldn't imagine not having any breakfast at all. It's just part of my morning routine - before I leave the house, I have my morning coffee and eat something. It doesn't have to be something really big, however I've noticed that when I eat nothing or only very little, I get really hungry before lunch time. Really, really hungry. And it's not fun to sit in a lecture or be at work with an empty, rumbling stomach.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member

If you wake up and your digestive system isn't working, it means you just woke up dead. And waking up dead is a bad thing. It means you have much more serious things to worry about than breakfast and hot tea.
  • alleyalley11
    alleyalley11 Posts: 2 Member
    I was always the type of person to never eat breakfast but I started noticing I was getting hungry earlier through out the day, so I did some research and I came to find out that eat breakfast will start your metabolism. Once I started eating breakfast (healthy breakfast) I started have energy through out the day and started having less cravings. I also noticed weight loss and more energy for any exercise I do throughout the day !!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    I was always the type of person to never eat breakfast but I started noticing I was getting hungry earlier through out the day, so I did some research and I came to find out that eat breakfast will start your metabolism. Once I started eating breakfast (healthy breakfast) I started have energy through out the day and started having less cravings. I also noticed weight loss and more energy for any exercise I do throughout the day !!!

Breakfast has nothing to do with metabolism. Your metabolism is a 24 hour thing. Your cravings stopped as you provided nutrition.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited March 2016
    Oy vey. Digestive systems falling asleep at the switch...metabolisms needing to be re-started.....

Why is there this pervasive idea that our bodies completely shut down while we sleep? Where did it come from??
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Oy vey. Digestive systems falling asleep at the switch...metabolisms needing to be re-started.....

Why is there this pervasive idea that our bodies completely shut down while we sleep? Where did it come from??

Sleep is the little death ...
This discussion has been closed.